Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

My Nitto INVO Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Thumbs up My Nitto INVO Review

My review of the Nitto INVO

Nitto was nice enough to send me a set of Invo’s to review on my sedan. I agreed as long as my review could be 100% honest whether I loved or hated them. Without missing a beat they sent me a set and were confident I would like them.

My car presents a few challenges when it comes to tires. First and foremost it is my daily driver and my only car so I need a tire with decent tread life. My #1 choice would be to run R compound race tires all the time but that won’t work because they are too expensive for a daily driver due to short life and become a mess in the rain. The second problem is my 15” 12-piston brakes don’t allow for me to run 18” wheels so a nice set of light 18’s with track tires for those fun times is out. I could get 19’s but finding a good track tire in 19’s is not easy and the price jump in wheels and tires for 19’s is substantial. I want to find a good tire that can be run on my car all the time.

So I have been trying a number of ultra high performance street tires over the last couple years. I have previously tried the Nitto 555, Falken FK452, Toyo T1R and Kumho SPT. All been good but left some to be desired so my expectations were similar for the Invo.

My car is not your average G35; it has a built motor, twin turbo kit and many, many other supporting modifications. It currently is at 538whp at 13psi on 91 octane pump gas and I am changing the fuel system and going for more in less than 24 hours. Needless to say, traction is an issue and I like to go fast.

So here is my review:

1st Impression:

When I waked out of my house and saw them for the first time, the first thing I noticed was the tread design. It really stands out, so much more in person than any picture I had seen. These tires are sick looking! Looking over them the quality was very good compared to some of the other tires I have seen before that have shavings still hanging on, etc. The two large groves were wider than I expected and immediately had me thinking these would not grip very well due to the reduced contact patch. Time will tell…

The only think about the look of these that I didn’t like was how simple the sidewall was. I have been used to very busy sidewalls on my tires for some time so this took a little time before they looked normal to me.

I was very happy to see these are an asymmetrical tire so even with my staggered setup I can rotate from side to side. This is a big plus on my car as like many other G’s I have seen on here the wear patterns are not quite the same from side to side.

Wet Conditions:

So here in Phoenix we spend ~300 days out of the year in dry driving conditions. You would think that we don’t even care about the wet days and make due as needed. One of my previous tires had very poor wet traction and almost caused a few accidents so this is still high on my list. Well the Invo did not disappoint, these are the best wet traction high performance tire I have ever driven on. The tire was very predictable and I was able to push them harder in very wet conditions than any other tire my car has had so far.

Dry Conditions:

The first thing I noticed after the tires were installed is how much quieter they were than the Kumhos I had removed. I have noticed that many of my past tires get louder as they wear but the Kumhos still had a lot of life left on them. Over the next couple weeks it became obvious that these are surprisingly quieter than other tires I have had. That’s a big plus for my sedan that still has some class to it. When I drive around my wife, kids, friends and even co-workers I have found that conversations are easier and even alone the stereo is turned down lower most of the time.

Overall grip is shockingly better. I used two factors to judge the dry performance of this tire: straight line acceleration (how much it could take before it let go) and cornering (both accelerating and turn-in). for straight line my last three sets of tires could not hold at all in 1st gear and at times could grab near the top of 2nd gear. Now 1st gear is still the same (I wonder if any tire aside of a slick could hold on my car in 1st) but 2nd gear was a pleasant surprise when it consistently caught and held near 3k rpm every time. I decided to play around some more and test 2nd gear rolling starts and these things kick @ss. So much more grip than I had before. I can’t wait to try them at the drag strip. As for cornering I found similar results. There are a number of new overpasses and intersections being built near my house that never have any traffic at them. More days than not I would take the corners very fast drifting from the inside lane to middle and sometimes even into the outside. Under the same conditions I found these to be flat out better performers under all corner situations. One example is a freeway off ramp that makes a very sharp 90 degree turn. I found I can now take that corner 10mph faster and with almost no tire squeal. Talk about an ear to ear grin!

Overall I am very impressed with these tires. If I had to purchase another set of tires right now it would be these hands down.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
wow, thanks for the review! pics w/ the new tires?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Excellent write-up. I'm waiting for JWT to do the same for me with their TT kit

Old 11-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice review. I've been using the invo's for 9 months and have yet to be dissapointed by them in any area.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
I was very happy to see these are an asymmetrical tire so even with my staggered setup I can rotate from side to side.
Technically, while these tires are asymmetrical, it's the non-directional feature of the tires that makes rotating the tire from one side to the other possible...

And not all tires squeal before you lose traction... Some good tires squeal, some chirp, others don't. Some chirp and lose traction immediately, others squeal while it's gripping, and some squeal more and more as you lose traction , while some might even make sounds when you don't have traction anymore. Although there are certain tires I like more than others based on how they sound (Dunlops - they make a nice distinct chirp), I wouldn't ever gauge how good a tire is based on how it sounds.

Thank you for the review... I think I might give these tires a try next...

Last edited by dofu; 11-20-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice, thanks for the review. I will definitely link people here for those that are wondering about the Invo.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the tires but they don't make it for certain sizes on 19".

Trending Topics

Old 11-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by bobshuai
I like the tires but they don't make it for certain sizes on 19".
Never mind, now they are offering more sizes then 6 months ago.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Love these tires had them on my prelude

Old 11-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Old 11-20-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm not convinced. What other tires have you owned and thoroughly tested to compare them against?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I'm not convinced. What other tires have you owned and thoroughly tested to compare them against?

Did you read the 1st post??? I stated the other tires I have had and am comparing these to.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Tim I'm sad that you can't fit 18's

If only you can use the tires you REALLY wanted to...

Old 11-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
excellent review... what would you say are the shortcomings of fk452 compared to these?

Old 11-21-2008, 05:56 PM
I have the same tire in 20". I am running 255/35/20 f and 285/30/20 in the rear. Tires are amazing, very soft, very very very quite ride, traction is A++++.

I was running a ps2 michelin 285/30/20 in the rear, always had a hard time hooking in 1st and 2nd gear because of the Voretch, with the Invo's it's a different story. Immediate traction and they stick like glue. I actually paid for these tires and I am lovin them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Nitto INVO Review