Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

How can I make the Bose sound better...

Old 01-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I make the Bose sound better...

...without spending a fortune? I'm really disappointed with the sound quality of the Bose stereo that came with the premium package. The bass is OK in a muddy, thumpy sort of way, but the mid-range and highs are terrible. I don't want to spend a lot of money or tear the car apart, but its gotten to the point that all I listen to anymore is talk radio. I've pretty much stopped listening to CDs because the sound quality is so disappointing. Will replacing the door speakers or deck speakers help? Or do I need a power amp, or god forbid, a new head unit? I would think that 200 watts on a side should be adequate for my needs, so the amp in the Bose should be enough. Any suggestions would be appreciated. God, I miss my Alpine!

'04 G35 Coupe DG/G/5AT/Leather/Premium. Now if I can just stop staring at the darn thing and get on with my life!

Old 01-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: How can I make the Bose sound better...

lower the bass to around -2 or -3 and boost the treble to around 3 or 4

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
1992 Jeep Cherokee Blk 5.5 RE lift /w 33s
AIM= bkchang79

Old 01-22-2004, 04:41 PM
G (enie) FUNK ERA

replace the tweets in the front doors with something better. I went with the Polk EX3500 - $68.00 shipped.

2004 G35C 6MT DG/Gr/Prem/NAV/A.Pedals/C.Corners/C.Bra/PIAA/Grnd.Kit/Rebadged [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2004, 04:58 PM

get you some coaxle speakers or install a resistor-cap on the front door speakers.
Upgraded tweeters will work also.

2003.5 5AT
Premium Package
Tire/Wheel Package
K&N Filter, Z-Tube, EGK

Old 01-22-2004, 07:05 PM

If I go to Circuit City lets say...

what can I tell them to add to my Bose system to make it sound better? Amp? new tweeters?

I have absolutely no audio experience....

04 Black G35C 6MT | Premium | Navigation | Grounding Kit

Old 01-22-2004, 08:16 PM

I know exactly what you mean! Here's my solution and I'm listening to CD's again $650 and some change:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...sed&sb=5&part=

99 Supercharged Civic Si SOLD
03.5 DG 6MT Coupe w/Aero, Premium, tint, mudguards, MB Quart Q Series, JL Audio 300/4
AIM: Ken99Si

Old 01-22-2004, 09:07 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

replace the tweets in the front doors with something better. I went with the Polk EX3500 - $68.00 shipped.

<hr></blockquote>
Will the Polk tweeters make a difference? The price is definitely right. I'm like Tupak, not much audio experience, at least on the mechanical side. Are they difficult to install? Could I go down to my local audio store and have them do it, or is it easy enough to do myself? I would kill to hear some crisp highs and separation between the highs and mids again.

'04 G35 Coupe DG/G/5AT/Leather/Premium. Now if I can just stop staring at the darn thing and get on with my life!

Old 01-24-2004, 08:17 AM

This is from a post I did earlier.
also for more info search this phrase: upgraded my bose.

My biggest problem with the Bose system is the lack of clarity. So I decided to upgrade the tweeters in the f/ doors.
I used some tweeters I had laying around. I tried a set of McIntosh tweeters (6 ohm) and a set of Boston Acoustics Neo 1 (5 ohm)tweeters. I settled on the BA's.
I removed the crap Bose tweeter and Crossover (capacitor) The stock tweeter is a 4 ohm load. The crossover was a 4.7 uF capacitor which made the crossover point 8457 hertz. VERY high. (most speakers have a crossover point of 2500 to 4000 hertz)
I installed the BA's using the factory mount and wire harness. I used a 10.0 uF capacitor in line on the positive wire which made the crossover point at 3180. The capacitor is small, but there is plenty of room for it.
If you do this mod and are concerned about the lower x-over, then use a 6.8 uF cap which would change x-over point to 4676 on a 5 ohm load or 5845 on 4 ohm.
Again, most good speakers crossover at 2k to 4k.

The sound quality is now so much better and smoother. I am hearing so much more detail and crispness. I highly recommend everyone to get rid of the crap Bose tweeters and swap them for the 4 to 5 ohm tweeter of your choice. It will really wake up the system and make it much more listenable.

I just drove home from work, and was delighted to listen. It is so much less fatiguing.

Hope this helps!

BillR

Old 01-24-2004, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll talk to my local sound guy about changing out the tweeters in the door speakers. It sounds like that will do the trick.

Old 01-24-2004, 02:14 PM

tweeters seem like a very reasonable upgrade. but my concern is that once you change the tweeters, will the highs be way too good for the rest of the system causing you to have to change everything else?

I guess it depends on how picky you are.

Old 01-24-2004, 04:55 PM

BillR, do you notice any problems with the slight change in impedance from the stock tweeters to the new ones?

Also how difficult is it to actually remove the stock tweeters?

Old 01-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is more info from an exhaustive thread on FA:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...umber=67522249

'04 G35S 5AT, Black Obsidian/Willow, Prem, Nav

Old 01-25-2004, 01:00 PM

Just my 2 cents, I changed the tweeters and the front door
speakers and crossovers with Infinity speakers of course
and was really pleased at the clarity and the highs. Was so excited that I decided to change the rear door speakers but because of the bose setup it did nothing, to take it up another
notch I would need to change the amp but I'm really happy the way it is..so....sticking with it...

Old 01-25-2004, 08:34 PM

I thought that the BOSE system didn't allow mods. Someone told me that the system "communicates" with itself. Is that crap? I'd like to replace the tweets, if I can.

Old 01-26-2004, 03:04 AM

Rofl. I don't think so. Anyway. If you buy a nice set of speakers for ur front doors, it will sound soooo much better. It's the front speakers which are destroying the audio quality.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How can I make the Bose sound better...