Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Daaaaaaaaaaamn you snapped! Good research/work!
And used my JDM DD Pic. PROPS on the post!

Old 07-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeGrote
as far as the amp and sub issue, pretty sure all you would have to do is run the rca's from the head unit to the amp, im sure the rem, power, and ground is fine the way it is. about the cost of install, what are you all doing? just the head unit?
Yeah exactly. My headunit has been acting up for the past few months and now a cd is jammed, so i figured i should probably just go ahead and replace it.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:24 PM
also another question just to weight the options is what tools would i need to do a full install myself? Luckily some of my roommates are computer/mechanical engineers so maybe they will have the necessary tools lying around

Old 07-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
as far as the amp and sub issue, pretty sure all you would have to do is run the rca's from the head unit to the amp, im sure the rem, power, and ground is fine the way it is. about the cost of install, what are you all doing? just the head unit?
You can't re-use the stock amp power and ground for an aftermarket radio, but the remote signal wire's fine.

Where do you live? I do G35 installs free if you can get to southern Georgia. Otherwise, it's 1-2 hours labor for just a headunit.

Originally Posted by shocker611
also another question just to weight the options is what tools would i need to do a full install myself? Luckily some of my roommates are computer/mechanical engineers so maybe they will have the necessary tools lying around
The bare minimum on tools:
Philips screwdriver
Electrical tape
Rigid nylon spatula or trim removal tool

Recommended tools:
Power Philips screwdriver
Soldering tool + solder + electrical tape
Trim removal tool
Fish tape if running a microphone wire or RCA cables
Zip ties
Wire stripper tool

Old 07-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 07-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Looks clean, minus the excess microphone wire. You planning on routing it up to the headliner?

Oh, and congrats on being the 500th post in this thread.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Thanks, not sure what I want to do with the excess mic wire and excess USB cable, that's why I left plenty of slack. I'm open to suggestions. Not sure how I would get it up to the headliner, picturing it in my head and I don't see any clean way to do that

Old 07-23-2011, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
You can't re-use the stock amp power and ground for an aftermarket radio, but the remote signal wire's fine.

Where do you live? I do G35 installs free if you can get to southern Georgia. Otherwise, it's 1-2 hours labor for just a headunit.

The bare minimum on tools:
Philips screwdriver
Electrical tape
Rigid nylon spatula or trim removal tool

Recommended tools:
Power Philips screwdriver
Soldering tool + solder + electrical tape
Trim removal tool
Fish tape if running a microphone wire or RCA cables
Zip ties
Wire stripper tool
Thanks a lot man! But I live in Utah so it wouldnt exactly work to drive to Georgia :/. I actually think I have almost everything I will need after all so ill probably just go for it.. PS would I need to get special solder for the connections since it is audio? I heard regular solder can add static?

Old 07-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by shocker611
Thanks a lot man! But I live in Utah so it wouldnt exactly work to drive to Georgia :/. I actually think I have almost everything I will need after all so ill probably just go for it.. PS would I need to get special solder for the connections since it is audio? I heard regular solder can add static?
That's a shame - I was in utah just a few weeks ago, visiting family, it is *quite* the drive here from there.

Regular solder's fine, never heard of anyone blaming it for static.

Originally Posted by mikegrote
Thanks, not sure what I want to do with the excess mic wire and excess USB cable, that's why I left plenty of slack. I'm open to suggestions. Not sure how I would get it up to the headliner, picturing it in my head and I don't see any clean way to do that
Just run it through the underside of the driver's dash and up the a-pillar, under the edge of the headliner and then mount it by the sunglass holder. Here's where I shoved my "fish-tape" (a very large zip-tie):

And a close-up of the microphone mount:

The following users liked this post:
coffeysm (05-19-2014)
Old 07-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Hmmm, I live in herriman, UT, lol
Thanks wrath, I might copy you but leave it up in the corner where the dash, windshield, and a pillar meet.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Hmmm, I live in herriman, UT, lol
Thanks wrath, I might copy you but leave it up in the corner where the dash, windshield, and a pillar meet.
I put mine in the middle so that my passenger could talk as well, especially with the Z120BT I've got in there having extensive voice commands that I like both driver and passenger be able to use.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:45 AM
I see

Old 07-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for a clean in dash look similar to MikeGrot's ^^^. I would like the material to be nice, buttons close to stock, generally just a nice product. Controls working like the volume on the steering wheel, Dual A/C etc. is a must, I don't want to lose any features in the car. What would you guys recommend? I plan on buying the parts but having it professionally installed, I don't plan on doing this job myself.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by <3Luxery<3Sport
Looking for a clean in dash look similar to MikeGrot's ^^^. I would like the material to be nice, buttons close to stock, generally just a nice product. Controls working like the volume on the steering wheel, Dual A/C etc. is a must, I don't want to lose any features in the car. What would you guys recommend? I plan on buying the parts but having it professionally installed, I don't plan on doing this job myself.
Uh, you did read the first 3 posts in this thread, right?

Old 07-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Yea, first page covers all those requirements I think

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List