Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
$150 to 250 range, I'd go with the AVH-X390BS.
It's got dual bluetooth connections, so if you dual-phone, or share the car with somebody, you're not messing around with the bluetooth settings every time you swap.

DVD optical drives are the same price as a CD optical drive, so there's virtually no reason to use a CD drive in a unit anymore. The screen on the units makes doing anything with your phone connection (Pandora for me, mostly) or selecting satellite stations so much better. I've never watched a DVD on mine, no desire to.
So I went with the AVH-X390BS and had it installed at Roger's Stereo. Everything works fine except I can't get the AUX to play. The unit has a cable that runs from the back around into the passenger compartment. I hooked a regular USB memory stick with some MP3s on it and nothing. I also tried my wife's iPOD mini and nothing plays from it either.

I made sure the AUX input was turned on and still get nothing. It doesn't even seem to read any files even though the memory stick is lit up, which I'd imagine means there's a connection.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-24-2017, 02:10 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by SCSlim
So I went with the AVH-X390BS and had it installed at Roger's Stereo. Everything works fine except I can't get the AUX to play. The unit has a cable that runs from the back around into the passenger compartment. I hooked a regular USB memory stick with some MP3s on it and nothing. I also tried my wife's iPOD mini and nothing plays from it either.

I made sure the AUX input was turned on and still get nothing. It doesn't even seem to read any files even though the memory stick is lit up, which I'd imagine means there's a connection.

Any suggestions?
Check for an iPod setting for the AUX input. Beyond that, take it back to the installer and make them make it work, it's what they were paid to do.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:23 PM
So what am I missing?

Hi all I'm having a few technical questions before I begin the installation and was wondering if anyone had any insight.

Currently my car is a g35 premium coupe 05, bose, dual climate, navi.

I have the jdm double din, headunit and the aswc-1and my back up cam. I ordered the pac roem-nis2 and the metra-NI10 nissan antenna adapter. Am i missing anything?

My confusion is, do I need to and where would I buy these parts?

the jdm dual climate control for 05-07
-the jdm double din I got is a non dual climate and from what I understand we can use our stock dual climates to the double din.

A usb or harness for a aux cable (apple product)? (Charge and play music)

Will my jdm double din fit if I have a navi system? Will I need anything extra for it to work? Do I need additional stuff for my navi to work?

Basically just want to make sure I got everything that would leave the car fully functional. Id hate if my dual climate or navi was messing up.. or the sound becomes meh. Any insight would help. Sorry if im asking so many questions or stupid questions.. just want to make sure instead of messing up.

Last edited by HeyAsianKid; 06-12-2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to put something in
Old 06-13-2017, 09:53 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by HeyAsianKid
Hi all I'm having a few technical questions before I begin the installation and was wondering if anyone had any insight.

Currently my car is a g35 premium coupe 05, bose, dual climate, navi.

I have the jdm double din, headunit and the aswc-1and my back up cam. I ordered the pac roem-nis2 and the metra-NI10 nissan antenna adapter. Am i missing anything?

My confusion is, do I need to and where would I buy these parts?

the jdm dual climate control for 05-07
-the jdm double din I got is a non dual climate and from what I understand we can use our stock dual climates to the double din.

A usb or harness for a aux cable (apple product)? (Charge and play music)

Will my jdm double din fit if I have a navi system? Will I need anything extra for it to work? Do I need additional stuff for my navi to work?

Basically just want to make sure I got everything that would leave the car fully functional. Id hate if my dual climate or navi was messing up.. or the sound becomes meh. Any insight would help. Sorry if im asking so many questions or stupid questions.. just want to make sure instead of messing up.
Just read the first three posts, it answers everything.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thank you. This helped me install a Kenwood DMX7704S to my Bose unit. Much better!!!

Old 07-18-2017, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all the info. I have a 2006 G35 sedan with a bose system. My install was going great until this morning. I got a Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX (8200 NEX with the backup camera). I had done all the connections except the PAC SWI-RC. All functions on the stereo were working great. This morning I tapped into the orange reverse signal wire and did the connections on the PAC SWI-RC (Red to Red, Black to Black, White/Red to Green (M39), White to Red (M39) and the second Black to Yellow (M39).
When I turn on my car all my dash lights are flashing and it doesn't start. Any idea what I might have done wrong? Did I blow a fuse?

Any help is appreciated

Old 07-19-2017, 03:03 PM
Nevermind...

Nevermind. I had just COMPLETELY drained my battery somehow while working on it. I had disconnected my battery every time I was doing any wiring stuff so not sure how I managed this. Looks like I've got every thing except routing my steering wheel wires around the factory bluetooth adapter.

Can someone please let me know where I can find this bluetooth harness in an '06 sedan?I couldn't find it in my trunk, unless I was looking in the wrong area.

Everything I'm installing:

Pioneer AVIC 8200-NEX
Pioneer ND-BC8 backup cam
Garmin nuvi 2699LMT GPS (in console above stereo)
Rexing V1 dash cam
SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner

Followed pretty much everything on Wrathernaut's first post in this thread, except that the PAC SWI-PS is discontinued by the manufacturer according to Amazon (called PAC tech service and they confirmed this and recommended the PAC SWI-RC). Using the following

PAC ROEM-NIS2
PAC SWI-RC
Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring

Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly!

Old 07-22-2017, 05:20 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Stein08
Nevermind. I had just COMPLETELY drained my battery somehow while working on it. I had disconnected my battery every time I was doing any wiring stuff so not sure how I managed this. Looks like I've got every thing except routing my steering wheel wires around the factory bluetooth adapter.

Can someone please let me know where I can find this bluetooth harness in an '06 sedan?I couldn't find it in my trunk, unless I was looking in the wrong area.

Everything I'm installing:

Pioneer AVIC 8200-NEX
Pioneer ND-BC8 backup cam
Garmin nuvi 2699LMT GPS (in console above stereo)
Rexing V1 dash cam
SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner

Followed pretty much everything on Wrathernaut's first post in this thread, except that the PAC SWI-PS is discontinued by the manufacturer according to Amazon (called PAC tech service and they confirmed this and recommended the PAC SWI-RC). Using the following

PAC ROEM-NIS2
PAC SWI-RC
Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring

Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly!
It's under the rear deck. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2017, 07:27 PM
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
It's under the rear deck. Good luck!
Thanks Wrather! I completed the install a couple days ago and it turned out pretty neat. Tried posting some pics from my phone but the website kept crashing. Will try again tonight.

Btw, in a 2006 G35 with premium Bose, the bluetooth/phone module is in the roof of the trunk on the passenger side.

Have some small fixes to complete. The backup camera was working fine but after a day I'm only getting a black screen with the text 'The image might be reversed'. I also sometimes get a warning message regarding the parking brake (I bypassed and connected to ground rather than the parking brake). I think both are related to improper grounding, so I'm gonna open it up today again and try to fix it.

Thanks SO much to everyone who contributed to this thread. Definitely couldn't have completed my install without the info I found here. Also, the youtube channel by Five Star Car Stereo - https://www.youtube.com/user/fivesta...eoinc/featured was super helpful.

I'll update soon!

Old 07-30-2017, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
I might be installing a new DDin soon.

Mine is having issues and 4 years ago me was nice enough to buy Best Buy's black tie 4 year warranty. Bluetooth doesn't work anymore and a button doesn't work so I hope I can get something nicer and newer (wouldn't mind paying for an upgrade!).

Is there a new favorite among car audio enthusiasts?

Old 07-31-2017, 01:27 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I might be installing a new DDin soon.

Mine is having issues and 4 years ago me was nice enough to buy Best Buy's black tie 4 year warranty. Bluetooth doesn't work anymore and a button doesn't work so I hope I can get something nicer and newer (wouldn't mind paying for an upgrade!).

Is there a new favorite among car audio enthusiasts?
The updated Pioneer NEX units are great, and now that Waze supports android auto, you're set with any android auto unit.

I also like the AVH-x5800BHS for a bit less if you aren't too worried about android auto / apple carplay.

The following 2 users liked this post by Wrathernaut:
06GDG (08-01-2017), Urbanengineer (08-02-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

I've always rocked apps but am due for a phone upgrade too. Waze would be a good reason to consider that head unit and a new phone! Thanks Wrather.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

...---...---........................... (heartbeat stopping)

So the Appradio 3 is being sent out for testing (e-brake activation is not working anymore) along with the button issues. Hopefully it doesn't get returned and I can upgade to the Appradio 4* .

I reluctantly ordered the PAC ROEM-NIS2 because I'm tired of it being BLOWS speakers, when it could be BOSE. I wanted to order the bypass because the other people in the car want to watch video while I drive... I can understand.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:21 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I've exclusively ran Pioneer units since 1997 and have always loved the controls. It's discouraging in today's time we can't get a double din version of the p99rs or 80prs. 16 bands min up to 31 bands of Left and Right EQ. We had this technology available over a decade ago. These 2 head units are still on the only ones to date with Left and Right EQ, time alignment, and network mode, etc. It sucks that if I want a double din and have fine tuning I have to buy a DSP along with it. But in 2008 I could have more fine tuning with a single din Pioneer. Maybe I'm rare and most people don't care about raising or lowering their front stage or changing phase to pull bass up front. Nex is a great line, the last few guys I've ran into had a few quirks with their units. Either a charging issue, or a mtp issue, etc etc. I guess car manufacters make their audio systems so damn complicated everyone has to resort to a integrated oem dsp add on and leaves the factory headunit. With a minimum amount of audiophiles to please for a more updated version of a 80prs or p99rs. Those 2 head units are still the best we have available aside from pretty features like the double dins

Old 08-16-2017, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

I have a single din in my commuter Honda that has all those adjustments, from pioneer.

Tomorrow I installed the ROEM NIS2 and TB bypass.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List