Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
worst case scenario what would happen if i ran a7550 plug on a Bose equipped coupe?

Old 09-12-2017, 11:19 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by michael454rs
worst case scenario what would happen if i ran a7550 plug on a Bose equipped coupe?
One of the following:
Super quiet output as the bose amp interprets half the signal as noise.
Super noisy as the bose amp interprets the ground as noise.
Fairly normal as the bose amp fails to interpret anything as noise and just does its normal butchering of the audio it always did.

If it's either of the first two, you're going to be kicking yourself for not spending $30 more for the ROEM-NIS2 as you completely redo all the wiring a second time. If it's the third, you'll wonder how good things would sound if you did it right.

Horrible or quiet audio threads from the DDin install were extremely common a few years ago before I made this list, but since people started following it (even professional installers) the occurrence of it has dropped to almost zero.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 09-12-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
One of the following:
Super quiet output as the bose amp interprets half the signal as noise.
Super noisy as the bose amp interprets the ground as noise.
Fairly normal as the bose amp fails to interpret anything as noise and just does its normal butchering of the audio it always did.

If it's either of the first two, you're going to be kicking yourself for not spending $30 more for the ROEM-NIS2 as you completely redo all the wiring a second time. If it's the third, you'll wonder how good things would sound if you did it right.

Horrible or quiet audio threads from the DDin install were extremely common a few years ago before I made this list, but since people started following it (even professional installers) the occurrence of it has dropped to almost zero.

i get you i asked because in the past i had my 97 chevy camaro with bose as well as my 03 maxima with bose and ran regular plugs with no issue. on my maxima i used the 7550 plug and it sounded loud which i dint mind, but i was expecting to just run the 7550 on my G and possibly in the future yank the bose amp and hook up an alpine ktp-445u or an piooner gm-d1004. ill keep you updated on how my install goes im gonna install a kenwood dmx-7704s double din, just having difficulty finding the jdm kit for my 06 at reasonable price lol.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:17 PM
anyone used pac audio swi-cp2 steering wheel control? they look way easier to install than the asw1.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:15 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

anyone used pac audio swi-cp2 steering wheel control? they look way easier to install than the asw1.
It costs more, its installation is identical, since it needs to be connected to the same wires from the car, and plugs into the radio with the same wired remote plug. How is that easier?

It's more expensive because it's made to work with CAN-BUS style systems in addition to our analog resistor-based setups. If you want to program with with the PAC audio app instead of the Metra app, that's about the only thing that could be considered "easier", so you can save money by buying the SWI-RC instead of the SWI-CP2. However, \I've used the Metra app and it's great and easy to use to custom program the adapter.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 10-13-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:26 AM
once the wires in the trunk for the Bluetooth have been cut and solder together do I connect the plug back into the adapter?

Old 10-16-2017, 08:50 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

once the wires in the trunk for the Bluetooth have been cut and solder together do I connect the plug back into the adapter?
No.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
^

And

Finally installed these goodies. I need to have a chat with 21 year old me about proper wire installation though... wrong size crimps and stuff .

Music sounds great now, and I finally read the JL Audio 500/1 manual and properly set up the sub. Ever heard of an infrasonic filter? Now I know what it’s for WOW!

Attached Thumbnails Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-photo9.jpg  
Old 10-16-2017, 10:54 PM
im just waiting for all my my wiring to come in so i can do the install. i do have one question. does the inside edges of the jdm kit have to trimmed. i did test fit just the trim over head unit its the dmx7704s and the insde edge prevent its from getting it just right or flushed with screen. just want to know if anyone had this is issue or if its something that i skipped. thanks in advancei. trying to have everything ready so i can start working on it friday afternoon.

Last edited by michael454rs; 10-17-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

im just waiting for all my my wiring to come in so i can do the install. i do have one question. does the inside edges of the jdm kit have to trimmed. i did test fit just the trim over head unit its the dmx7704s and the insde edge prevent its from getting it just right or flushed with screen. just want to know if anyone had this is issue or if its something that i skipped. thanks in advancei. trying to have everything ready so i can start working on it friday afternoon.
Usually the opening on the JDM is big enough no modification is required, but I definitely can't speak for all of the hundreds of different radios.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:30 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have this head-unit with the jdm dash kit and it looks great, a little recessed but looks factory. I did dremel down the trim that came with the unit, so it sits flush behind the jdm bezel.

Last edited by ErikNYC; 10-20-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:02 PM

here is a pic of the head unit installed its the dmx7704s.

yeah i had to leave a little sunken in but i looks amazing i di not had drill any new whole just modified the bezel that with head unit. i just ran all the wiring for amp whic was a pain in the butt, taped into rever wire at the kick panel as well. tommorow i will be cutting the three wires in tbe trunk for the steering wheel controls as well as wiring the aswc1 and the pac audion adapter, i also purchased a flush mount dual usb cable and will mount in the center glove box.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:10 PM

here is a pic of the head unit installed its the dmx7704s.

yeah i had to leave a little sunken in but i looks amazing i di not had drill any new whole just modified the bezel that with head unit. i just ran all the wiring for amp whic was a pain in the butt, taped into rever wire at the kick panel as well. tommorow i will be cutting the three wires in tbe trunk for the steering wheel controls as well as wiring the aswc1 and the pac audion adapter, i also purchased a flush mount dual usb cable and will mount in the center glove box.
Looks good. Did you trim the radio bezel down? I remember trimming around the edge of the bezel and cutting two nubs off to allow the radio to sit as flush as possible.

PS: You will love this radio. Great price, and Waze works well with it.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by ErikNYC
Looks good. Did you trim the radio bezel down? I remember trimming around the edge of the bezel and cutting two nubs off to allow the radio to sit as flush as possible.

PS: You will love this radio. Great price, and Waze works well with it.
i was tempted to trim the jdm bezel but i trimed the trim piece that goes around the head unit instead.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:09 AM
i was tempted to trim the jdm bezel but i trimed the trim piece that goes around the head unit instead.
Yup, that's what i did. I also remember having to trim down four little numb from the jdm bezel for it to sit flush too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List