Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Old 04-05-2018, 05:23 PM
O6G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost done, big thanks to Wrathernaut!

Old 04-06-2018, 12:06 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by O6G
Almost done, big thanks to Wrathernaut!

Yep. That's the standard gap. Use the Scosche trim ring or some black felt to fill it in!

Old 04-08-2018, 02:29 PM
I have read all pertinent posts and reviewed youtube’s on the radio removal/repair/reinstall and Double Din aftermarket install. My 03, G35, radio and DVD player work well. Occasionally my AC turns on and locks up on its own but rarely if I keep it on all the time.

I prefer original stock look and audio system but am trying to get ahead of any possibly worsening problem.

I am buying a new DD JDM OEM dash housing/cover (kit) and Kenwood DDX6904S. Evidently the JDM nor radio come with any radio mounting brackets. Has anyone found these mounting brackets or info on how to fabricate them?

Is the Scosche trim piece the best/only way to go to achieve a “factory installed” look for the DD radio with JDM OEM housing/cover (kit)?

Evidently, this radio comes with an antenna adapter. To get good standard FM reception do I need to add an antenna amplifier, if so any recommendations?

Thank you in advance for any help on my questions.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:15 AM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
Your car already has an antenna signal amplifier. You will have to supply power to it or else u will get shitty reception trying to pick up radio signals.

The following users liked this post:
sybertel (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 11:26 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by sybertel
I have read all pertinent posts and reviewed youtube’s on the radio removal/repair/reinstall and Double Din aftermarket install. My 03, G35, radio and DVD player work well. Occasionally my AC turns on and locks up on its own but rarely if I keep it on all the time.

I prefer original stock look and audio system but am trying to get ahead of any possibly worsening problem.

I am buying a new DD JDM OEM dash housing/cover (kit) and Kenwood DDX6904S. Evidently the JDM nor radio come with any radio mounting brackets. Has anyone found these mounting brackets or info on how to fabricate them?

Is the Scosche trim piece the best/only way to go to achieve a “factory installed” look for the DD radio with JDM OEM housing/cover (kit)?

Evidently, this radio comes with an antenna adapter. To get good standard FM reception do I need to add an antenna amplifier, if so any recommendations?

Thank you in advance for any help on my questions.
The only real pertinent posts you need to read are 1-3 of this this thread. No brackets are required. Again... first three posts. If you have the JDM trim and climate controls, you don't need anything else. The scosche trim piece isn't anything special, it's just the easiest way to get some thin, black, textured plastic that fits well. You can use black felt to fill the gap, you can use black neoprene foam... anything really to fill the gap is fine.

If you got an antenna adapter, it's part of a package deal from your seller, that radio needs the antenna adapter listed in the parts list in the first post. You don't need an antenna amplifier. If you did, again... it would be in the first post.

sybertel (04-10-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 12:13 PM
DD Install Update

Found that the Kenwood DDX 6704S does not fit in the JDM OEM DD dash cover. It is just 1/16 of an inch to wide as other Kenwoods seem to be. Mounting it flush seems to require filing down the dash cover or the radio face plate. Neither seems to be a good solution. The included Kenwood trim cover would hide most of this but is not particularly appealing. Does anyone have a suggestion to resolve this or it the Scosche trim piece a good way to get an OEM install appearance?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions,experience, or pics showing how this was resolved.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
DD Install Update

Found that the Kenwood DDX 6704S does not fit in the JDM OEM DD dash cover. It is just 1/16 of an inch to wide as other Kenwoods seem to be. Mounting it flush seems to require filing down the dash cover or the radio face plate. Neither seems to be a good solution. The included Kenwood trim cover would hide most of this but is not particularly appealing. Does anyone have a suggestion to resolve this or it the Scosche trim piece a good way to get an OEM install appearance?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions,experience, or pics showing how this was resolved.
It fits, I have a similar unit. Your gonna have to do some Dremel. Dremel off numbs on the back iff the jdm DD, and Dremel the sides of the the trim to fit inside the back of the jdm dd.

sybertel (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 05:26 AM
DD Install Update

I set my Kenwood on the ground and forced the JDM trim over it. It was tight, but it did slide in.

sybertel (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 12:11 PM
Smile

Looking at the solutions provided above, I like the look of the black Kenwood trim plate placed behind the JDM OEM dash cover. It looks a bit recessed but there are no gaps when centered. Plus the black Kenwood trim plate does not stick out like a sore thumb as it does when mounted on top of the JDM DD dash cover. Radio and KW trim actually slip in OK behind the JDM DD dash cover w/o any modifications (application of mounting brackets not verified) .

Only question remains is will the unit still fit depth wise as that makes the unit about 6.75 inches deep (adds about ½ inch more depth)?

Thank you to everyone that has been kind enough to reply. This question is probably more difficult to answer but I would appreciate any advise before attempting some mods that are irreparable.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:57 PM

There is plenty of space behind the head unit. U could probably push it all the way until it falls in if u really wanted to. Here is mine mounted on top of the JDM trim. I did have to drill new holes into the mounting bracket to keep the angle of the screen to sit flush with the trim ring. I think it looks good.

Last edited by Scorpi0; 04-16-2018 at 05:50 AM.
sybertel (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Nice looking install. Thank you so much for the helpful info and pic. Looks like the new Kenwood DDX 6904s unit will fit w/suggested mods. It has quite a few advantages over the stock unit. I like the idea of a backup camera.

BTW: With 94K on my 03-6MT I am having the front bumper and front wheels repainted to remove any rock chips/scratches. This will complete its front end restore to look like new plus new grill and windshield installed. I would like to get at least 5 more years driving it as I can not find another car I like to drive as much.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:48 AM
Thanks. I actually uploaded 4 pics....not sure why the rest arent showing up.

Does the new head unit youre looking at come with a backup camera?

Old 04-18-2018, 11:39 AM
No. But it does come with mounting brackets, a trim bezel, antenna connector, and wiring. It supports a back up camera but I need to buy one and get it installed.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Am I going to have to mod this Metra dash kit to get this Pioneer AVH-200EX to fit flush? Little nerve racking to have to take a Dremel to a $150 piece of plastic, but I'll do if I have to. Any other ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-img_1516.jpg  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by 4mermarine
Am I going to have to mod this Metra dash kit to get this Pioneer AVH-200EX to fit flush? Little nerve racking to have to take a Dremel to a $150 piece of plastic, but I'll do if I have to. Any other ideas?
You shouldnt have to. I think you're trying to install it backwards, which makes it more difficult.

Lay the Metra trim on the floor, facing up. Grab your head unit and insert the rear end first. Might take a bit of pushing and wiggling...but it should go in.

Might also make it easier if you do it on a soft surface, like some grass. Thats how I did it.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List