G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video & Electronics (https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-20/)
-   -   Wire Confusion - Metra 70-7551 (https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/345177-wire-confusion-metra-70-7551-a.html)

35mmStu 07-24-2010 03:52 AM

Wire Confusion - Metra 70-7551

I'm trying to wire my Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD using the 70-7551 wiring kit. Need help on the blue/white system remote control wire from the receiver. Do I hook both the amp turn on and the power antenna wires from the 70-7551 to this wire. I read elsewhere the power antenna needs to be powered to supply the antenna amplifier and obviously the Bose amp needs some sort of start signal. Any help would be appreciated.

Wrathernaut 07-24-2010 04:00 AM

Yes, since the 3100DVD only has a single "power ant/remote power on" wire instead of a separate one for each you have to connect both to that wire from the 3100DVD.

35mmStu 07-24-2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut (Post 5246778)
Yes, since the 3100DVD only has a single "power ant/remote power on" wire instead of a separate one for each you have to connect both to that wire from the 3100DVD.

Thanks Wrathernaut for the quick response. I see why your the go to guy for stereo info.

Wrathernaut 07-24-2010 02:12 PM

Mostly because I'm watching this board about 16 hrs/day, and have done stereo installs in these cars 3 times now, and a few other cars as well.

Anyone else who did the same could probably do just a good of a job.

I'm not a professional car audio technician, this is not my day job, it's just one of my passions.

Eskimo10 07-24-2010 04:34 PM

Question, piggy backing on this thread. The Bose system in my car has 4 plugs in the back, and the Avic D3 I have only has two plugs (using this harness and one other), so what do I do with the other two harnesses from the car side? Will it affect anything?

One more question, I installed my D3 just now, and the sound is VERY low, I know there was a thread on that, but I can't find it. Can anyone provide some assistance? Literally I havet he D3 on 40 (loudest setting) and comparatively its much lower, maybe like around 10-12 or so on the stock HU. So confused. Oh and one more, which I'm pretty sure will be solved when my Metra kit comes in, but the AC blows consistently at full right now, is there a way to change it without having the stock HU in, since the AC controls don't work without it right now.

Wrathernaut 07-25-2010 01:58 AM

One of those harnesses houses the speed sensor wire, steering wheel inputs and when equipped, the navigation voice audio. You'll tap into a few of those wires if you put a unit with GPS in or to connect the the steering wheel interface adapter.
The other one is for the climate controls, which will plug into the Metra unit when you get it.
No, there's no way around it for now.

As for the low sound, if it's really, really low, then you may have not connected the bose amp ground wire when installing the harness.
Which harness did you use?

Eskimo10 07-25-2010 08:27 AM

I kind of put 2 and 2 together with the other two plugs housing that kind of stuff when I sat and thought about it. Is there a diagram floating around for those plugs so I can see which is which? And does it mater if I had a non-nav system? Would it still have the speed sensor wire, etc there?

I used these two harnesses for my install:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207075...e-Harness.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040NI...a-Adapter.html

I selected those because I went through the "Outfit my Car" option on Crutchfield so thats what it came up with. And I did ground the bose amp ground wire when I hooked it up, but would it be better to ground it to the chassis instead of within the wire harness?

Wrathernaut 07-25-2010 08:39 AM

No, no diagram floating around for the plugs that I know of.

All 05+ systems (nav and non-nav) have the speed sensor wire to control the speed-dependent volume, I'm almost certain the 03-04s do as well.

Those are the correct harnesses. I grounded the ground wire from the new headunit, ground wire from the 70-7551, and the amp ground all to the chassis, the volume was plenty loud:

romantico05 08-06-2014 09:27 AM

I have a 70-7551 harness to install a JVC KW-V30BT but when I'm going to connect the JVC end to the metra harness some cables are in RCA and some dont even match in color. I dont see any RCA inputs on my JVC stereo. What would you suggest I do? I'm really hands-on and extremly good with computers and it is my first time installing my own stereo.

Wrathernaut 08-06-2014 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by romantico05 (Post 6928538)
I have a 70-7551 harness to install a JVC KW-V30BT but when I'm going to connect the JVC end to the metra harness some cables are in RCA and some dont even match in color. I dont see any RCA inputs on my JVC stereo. What would you suggest I do? I'm really hands-on and extremly good with computers and it is my first time installing my own stereo.

First, I'm going to assume you have the factory bose system since you've got the 70-7551. If you don't, return the 70-7551 and exchange for a 70-7550 harness and follow the chart in the FAQ thread linked in the next paragraph.

The 70-7551 harness has little use in our cars, I had some good luck with it a couple times, but it's not a reliable way of keeping the bose amp going in our cars. Best, reliable results keeping the factory bose amp are with the PAC ROEM-NIS2, wired according to the wiring guide on the DDin mega-FAQ thread - https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...urce-list.html

However, since you already have the 70-7551, if you want to give it a try, you'll be connecting the 70-7551's RCA plugs directly to the RCA jacks on the back of the radio, on the left side.
GRAY - RIGHT FRONT
WHITE - LEFT FRONT
GREEN - LEFT REAR
VIOLET - RIGHT REAR
(nothing connects to the JVC's SubWoofer RCAs, as the Bose amp builds the subwoofer channel from the other four channels)

The white, gray, green and violet (plain & striped) wire pairs coming from the JVC's harness will be unused. Tape them up securely so they don't accidentally ground out or touch each other.

Connect the 70-7551's BLACK/WHITE (amplifier ground) wire with the BLACK chassis ground and ground to the chassis with the rest of the grounds specified in the wiring chart below.

Follow the same wiring chart used for power, ground, power antenna, dimmer and such as with the ROEM-NIS2 install:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-S...2520wiring.png

romantico05 08-06-2014 09:10 PM

Thank you so much Wrathernaut. So far everything is coming together.
I just have a few questions more...

First, once I connect the amp ground blk cable to the gnd cable from the stereo how do I ground them to the chassis? Also, do I do the same to the other gnd cables?

Second, do you have a video or some instructions on how to run the back-up camera cable from the trunk to the stereo?

Lastly, how would I allow my stereo play videos while driving? (Hope its not a bad question to ask, if it is then its ok)

Thanks again!

Wrathernaut 08-07-2014 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by romantico05 (Post 6928834)
Thank you so much Wrathernaut. So far everything is coming together.
I just have a few questions more...

First, once I connect the amp ground blk cable to the gnd cable from the stereo how do I ground them to the chassis? Also, do I do the same to the other gnd cables?

Second, do you have a video or some instructions on how to run the back-up camera cable from the trunk to the stereo?

Lastly, how would I allow my stereo play videos while driving? (Hope its not a bad question to ask, if it is then its ok)

Thanks again!

I used the screws just below the trim opening, since it's bare metal there, just make sure the wires don't interfere with putting the radio back in. This picture shows the location, but the connector may interfere without being rotated down:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-v...ng%2Bpoitn.png

I haven't done a rear view camera, but just follow the factory wiring on the trunk lid go from there to the trunk space, and then from there go behind the side panels alongside the rear seats, along the factory wiring under the carpet alongside the driver's side doors, to the driver's footwell, and then under the carpet or on the underside of the dash to get behind the radio.

Don't do videos in the car.

mattvq35 01-25-2016 08:33 PM

Low volume

I soldered the radio ground, metra connector ground, and amp ground together. Then using a multi meter find a suitable ground. With it being grounded or not it makes no difference, same volume, rear speakers still work.

mattvq35 01-31-2016 03:09 AM

??

could I remove the rca connectors from the 7551 and solder the corresponding negative and positive for each corner to the HU built-in amp output to increase my pre-amp voltage to the bose system?

nizzan4u2nv 02-01-2016 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by mattvq35 (Post 7042136)
could I remove the rca connectors from the 7551 and solder the corresponding negative and positive for each corner to the HU built-in amp output to increase my pre-amp voltage to the bose system?

no, the preamp voltage would be way too high. That is the whole reason line out convertors/hi-low converters were created.