Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

"Can I mod my NAV to play DVDs?"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there an easier way now to make this happen?? since its 2012 now lmao

Old 11-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by ambitionist
is there an easier way now to make this happen?? since its 2012 now lmao
Remove the factory screen and put a 7" LCD or tablet in its place.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, so I'm new to this site and I need help with my navi. This is the only thread talking about the navi that I could find but I really need help. So the navi in my 04 screen is black and the motor for it coming up and down works fine but it just won't turn on. Everytime I turn the car on I can hear the DVD player beep and that works fine, I can eject and insert discs but the screen just stays black. Any ideas??

Old 07-26-2017, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Attempting to revive an eight-year-old dead thread may be optimistic, but I have to try. I've scoured our resources and am stuck with my dash torn apart. Between this and my "can't get them quite right yet" custom brakes, my wife is fast becoming not a fan of this car I waited so long to finally be able to get.

Here's where I'm at. I have an 04 5AT coupe, with stock Nav and Bose. Or it had that until I ripped it all out. I had designs of using my phone for GPS (huge screen, google maps is auto updating, get updates right there from all the women trying to get at me (lol), etc.) and using the pop up screen for a backup camera I just installed. I got a Metra dash kit and a Pioneer double din head unit with a 7" touch screen for DVDs, whatever. I've modified that per Wrathernaut's guide to accept both the Metra ac controls and the stock pop-up screen as well. My old stereo installer days just screamed at me too loud to NOT use that already niftily installed pop up screen for something. I'm hoping to use it for the rear view camera that is installed, but still needs to have the video routed up the side of the car.

I do not want or need to switch. Does anyone know of a product that could help me or could even point me to a wiring diagram for the screen harness. TVandnav2Go only works piggy backed on the stock nav system, and mine is 100 gutted right now. I've even repurposed the space where the disk drive went for an AC inverter and some USB drops. I have no need of the stock GPS. Is it cheaper and easier at this point to install an aftermarket LCD screen in that same place instead? It seems like such a waste to ditch a decent and cleanly installed screen for what would be my hack job. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd love to get this dash back together and finally complete this job.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Last edited by jloudgood; 07-29-2017 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AlteredCarbon (05-22-2018)
Old 07-27-2017, 02:50 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Jeremy, have you been through this thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ment-info.html

It'll probably be cheaper to pick up a basic 6+ inch screen and put that in the space than to purchase an adapter to use the factory screen.

jloudgood (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 07:20 PM
Thank you Wrathernaut. Your stuff seems to be the key to make this possible for less than thousands of custom install $. I had seen that post briefly, but passed as it seemed like the final screen solution wasn't finalized. I looked for some comparable 4X3 LCD or LED screens in a similar size, but didn't find much. THEN I walked over to the unit and stuck my Samsung GS7 (essentially also my nav device) in front of the screen. Horizontally, it is slightly less wide than the native screen. Vertically, it fills about 2/3 the height. I'm going to take out the screen and build custom mount for the phone on top of a wireless charger to keep from having another wire draped across the dash. I have some lambskin for finishing. I'll post up some pictures in the process. Shouldn't be too bad. And then I can just use the aux on the head unit/dvd player for the rear view. And it keeps me from blocking a key AC outlet with my phone. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by jloudgood; 07-27-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:42 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by jloudgood
Thank you Wrathernaut. Your stuff seems to be the key to make this possible for less than thousands of custom install $. I had seen that post briefly, but passed as it seemed like the final screen solution wasn't finalized. I looked for some comparable 4X3 LCD or LED screens in a similar size, but didn't find much. THEN I walked over to the unit and stuck my Samsung GS7 (essentially also my nav device) in front of the screen. Horizontally, it is slightly less wide than the native screen. Vertically, it fills about 2/3 the height. I'm going to take out the screen and build custom mount for the phone on top of a wireless charger to keep from having another wire draped across the dash. I have some lambskin for finishing. I'll post up some pictures in the process. Shouldn't be too bad. And then I can just use the aux on the head unit/dvd player for the rear view. And it keeps me from blocking a key AC outlet with my phone. Fingers crossed.
Wireless charging generates more heat than plugged-in charging, and these phones (I have a GS7 myself) will already overheat if you're running navigation and audio programs simultaneously with it in that location. It's easy to run a USB plug through the back where factory wiring went to the screen already.

For screens, check some of the screens that are well-used by raspberry pi builders - https://www.adafruit.com/category/336

This one is a near perfect fit: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2407

The following 2 users liked this post by Wrathernaut:
AlteredCarbon (05-22-2018), jloudgood (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Wireless charging generates more heat than plugged-in charging, and these phones (I have a GS7 myself) will already overheat if you're running navigation and audio programs simultaneously with it in that location. It's easy to run a USB plug through the back where factory wiring went to the screen already.

For screens, check some of the screens that are well-used by raspberry pi builders - https://www.adafruit.com/category/336

This one is a near perfect fit: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2407
Good point on the overheating. I hadn't considered that, and this thing runs hot and heavy when nav is on. My concern running a micro USB there is that they tend to wear out on me after a few months and stop charging the phone. I guess that could be solved with a simple extension though so I wouldn't have to keep getting behind the dash.

That screen is as close to perfect as anything I've seen, and the price is right.

I hit some snags disassembling the screen and mechanism. I have an 04, and the 03-04 have a slightly different setup with a spring mechanism for raising the screen (with the 05-06 getting a motor assist). The screen assembly itself looks slightly different as well. It seems to be riveted at many of the connections on the side, preventing a clean saw-free disassembly.

Looking at it, I'm tempted to go with the storage cubby, call it a day, and finally get my dash reassembled. Of course I'd need to the cubby though. Do you know offhand if Metra sells that storage cubby separately?

Thanks for all your help through this, even if it didn't quite work out. Let's call it a 4-5 LB weight savings!

Old 07-31-2017, 01:29 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by jloudgood
Good point on the overheating. I hadn't considered that, and this thing runs hot and heavy when nav is on. My concern running a micro USB there is that they tend to wear out on me after a few months and stop charging the phone. I guess that could be solved with a simple extension though so I wouldn't have to keep getting behind the dash.

That screen is as close to perfect as anything I've seen, and the price is right.

I hit some snags disassembling the screen and mechanism. I have an 04, and the 03-04 have a slightly different setup with a spring mechanism for raising the screen (with the 05-06 getting a motor assist). The screen assembly itself looks slightly different as well. It seems to be riveted at many of the connections on the side, preventing a clean saw-free disassembly.

Looking at it, I'm tempted to go with the storage cubby, call it a day, and finally get my dash reassembled. Of course I'd need to the cubby though. Do you know offhand if Metra sells that storage cubby separately?

Thanks for all your help through this, even if it didn't quite work out. Let's call it a 4-5 LB weight savings!
I think the only storage option is a factory part.

jloudgood (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 10:08 PM
I have a list of interior goodies and other small parts I could use. Time for a trip to the junkyard. We have tons here. With luck, maybe I can swap out the remaining interior silver trim too , or lamb wrap what I can. That stock piece is going to be a mismatch to the metra kit color, which is a bit darker, but I think it will wrap up just fine. Thanks very much for your help with this.