Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by marc0711
Hi,
first of all thanks for your great support.

Although it was mentioned several times that using an FM Transmitter is no good solution I bought one for just 10 bucks and used it so far.
As I will keep my car little longer (and won't sell it as planned) I however want to try the solution with the satellite harness in the back now. I checked today and as it seems my car has the harness. What I don't have is a sat button or any button beside just radio and CD on the front panel.
If I buy the PA15-INFI how could it be used means basically what happens as soon as I plug it to the harness in the trunk? If it is used instead of radio is there no more radio signal possible or how does this work? Due to the information on the front page the steering wheel controls work with the PA15, right? Means if I connect an iPod it will be possible to switch tracks directly with the steering wheel controls? Is there some kind of installation necessary for this or is everything just plug and play?
And last question: Is it possible to connect just a random USB stick or MP3 player (through USB) to the PA15 and are steering wheel controlls working as well in this case?

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it
Marcus
There's no difference in radios, only button labels. Just hit the radio button to go through the different "satellite" radio sources. It doesn't eliminate anything. Once it's plugged in, it's detected and the radio adds it to the cycle.

Steering wheel controls work, the use of is documented in the PA15 user manual.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks. Do one of you guys know where I could get a used one cheap?

And another question as I heard that there are different options which do more or less the same.
Does anybody know where I could get a list of all items that could be connected to the satellite harness in the trunk?
On the frontpage there is only the PA15 mentioned but I guess there are also other (maybe cheaper) options.
I would not even need a ipod option, just connecting a USB stick with music or SD card would be sufficient for me.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 04-15-2017 at 01:27 PM. Reason: no soliciting of sales in discussion forums.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by marc0711
thanks. Do one of you guys know where I could get a used one cheap?

And another question as I heard that there are different options which do more or less the same.
Does anybody know where I could get a list of all items that could be connected to the satellite harness in the trunk?
On the frontpage there is only the PA15 mentioned but I guess there are also other (maybe cheaper) options.
I would not even need a ipod option, just connecting a USB stick with music or SD card would be sufficient for me.
It's pretty much the INFI, or pull the radio. Pulling the radio is easy, and if you're wanting the wires to your USB port in the cabin, it's less work than routing the wire from the trunk back to the center console.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:29 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Has anyone tried one of the bluetooth FM transmitter kit that plugs into the cigarette lighter, uses an FM radio station to stream music from your smartphone, specifically the one in the link below? Reviews are plentiful and mostly positive. Would this work on a 2003 coupe?

Amazon Amazon

Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by NemesisGee
Has anyone tried one of the bluetooth FM transmitter kit that plugs into the cigarette lighter, uses an FM radio station to stream music from your smartphone, specifically the one in the link below? Reviews are plentiful and mostly positive. Would this work on a 2003 coupe?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...A14L9DIA3NK9B0
They work for anything with an FM radio, and like any other wireless FM modulator, they're the low bar for audio quality.

The following users liked this post:
NemesisGee (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
They work for anything with an FM radio, and like any other wireless FM modulator, they're the low bar for audio quality.
Oh well, that's what I thought. The Bose HU is terrible anyway, I can't imagine this being much worse. I guess I'll give it a try, it's the simplest cheapest way to get BT streaming without resorting to taking things apart which in my incompetent hands will lead to more meadachers.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
So looks like we may have a new option. After 8+ years of using the USA-SPEC PA15-INFI, the iPod cable has been acting funky lately. While looking up the part number to replace this old 30-pin style cable, I noticed that USA-SPEC now sells the BT45-NIS & BT45-INFI adapters.

Looks like the same concept of the PA15, but with bluetooth streaming capabilities. They also include a microphone for bluetooth phone calls, useful if you have a pre-06 model before BT was standard.

Any feedback on it yet? Tempted to go for it. I'll probably change the settings in my phone to use the car BT for calls, and the BT45 for media audio only. Looking at their video I'd have to toggle the input for handsfree calls to work, unlike the factory handsfree that trumps all audio sources.

https://www.usaspec.com/p-318-bt45-infi.aspx

Amazon link
Amazon Amazon

The following 2 users liked this post by LoSt180:
Urbanengineer (10-31-2018), Wrathernaut (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 12:35 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by LoSt180
So looks like we may have a new option. After 8+ years of using the USA-SPEC PA15-INFI, the iPod cable has been acting funky lately. While looking up the part number to replace this old 30-pin style cable, I noticed that USA-SPEC now sells the BT45-NIS & BT45-INFI adapters.

Looks like the same concept of the PA15, but with bluetooth streaming capabilities. They also include a microphone for bluetooth phone calls, useful if you have a pre-06 model before BT was standard.

Any feedback on it yet? Tempted to go for it. I'll probably change the settings in my phone to use the car BT for calls, and the BT45 for media audio only. Looking at their video I'd have to toggle the input for handsfree calls to work, unlike the factory handsfree that trumps all audio sources.

https://www.usaspec.com/p-318-bt45-infi.aspx

Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XUPP4TY..._y8SqzbXG5JZ09
Thanks for the heads up, I'll do a little looking on it and put it in the list.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (10-31-2018)
Old 07-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G35 6MT Coupe
I have one installed in my 2006 G35 now, but the radio only cycles to AM/FM1/FM2. I have factory XM and it no longer cycles to the satellite either. Suggestions???

Old 08-10-2018, 02:45 PM
Diy aux port?

I have an 05 sedan I have yet to pull my trunk apart and find the SAT adapter but I'm assuming it's there. I am wondering I have heard about people splicing the sat plug into RCA and then RCA in 1/8" headphone jack. Seems like this would be the cheapest option for AUX in. I've only seen one post about it but no pictures of a completed setup. Can anyone confirm that this would work?
I'm guessing the reason to go from SAT > RCA> headphone is the RCA is easier to connect to a bare wire than a headphone wire.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:05 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by ninjabong
I have an 05 sedan I have yet to pull my trunk apart and find the SAT adapter but I'm assuming it's there. I am wondering I have heard about people splicing the sat plug into RCA and then RCA in 1/8" headphone jack. Seems like this would be the cheapest option for AUX in. I've only seen one post about it but no pictures of a completed setup. Can anyone confirm that this would work?
I'm guessing the reason to go from SAT > RCA> headphone is the RCA is easier to connect to a bare wire than a headphone wire.
You need the SAT adapter for that to work, and there's instructions linked in the the first post. You don't need RCA plugs at all, just slap some extra wire length to a standard 3.5mm headphone jack. If you don't see a SAT antenna on your roof, you don't have the adapter either. 05s are WIRED for the adapter, but don't come with it as a standard piece of equipment.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:43 PM
G35X
Smile I finally found my factory AUX setting on Bose Premium 06 G

Originally Posted by LongoTE
If you haven't got it working at all, I may have a solution. There are three buttons under the volume ****. Auto P, RPT, Scan. Start playing music full volume on your iPod with the aux plugged in and press these three buttons in the order "scan, auto p, RPT". The button order should be bottom, top, middle.

Your issue sounds like your radio isn't registered with Sirius/XM. You need to register the radio for them to send the activation signal to the car so it can correctly acquire the satellite. You may also get a free trial. On my radio I'm not actually activated so I get no audio from satteite but it does acquire and I do get a message saying "call 888""xxx-xxxx". Until I press the three buttons, there is no sound. When I press the buttons in that order, then the aux sound comes through.
I know this is an old thread, but my recently purchased 06 g35x had a (stubby) aux cord in the armrest, and I have the satellite option and it was KILLING me to try and get sound out of the aux cab When I'd go to Sat1 or Sat2, it only displayed my radio ID and the 800#. I was trying to repeatedly tap on the scan button as I saw somewhere else, but that did nothing but change the satellite channel i didn't have, and display the 800# again. Then I read the button sequence of "Scan, AutoP and RPT." It didn't work at 1st, but then I tuned the Sat radio to channel 00 and my Amazon Prime Music began to play. Oh what a relief! I've had the car for a month, but was scared that my head gaskets were shot. Changed out Thermostat, Water Pump, new radiator, flushed the heater core out, and nothing helped. Until I learned how to properly purge the air in the system. Now, I just got the car inspected, and will be having the brakes done soon. I'm all in now. With all of the audio threads on here, this one reply of the button sequence to access the factory AUX setting is all I was looking for. The unit doesn't even display what is playing on my phone, and I learned the steering wheel button that skips tracks only changes the Sat radio channel, knocking off my aux source, but I'm good. Just need an Aux cable extension cord to at least bring the phone to radio distance from the armrest. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

If anyone else has other methods of getting the AUX setting from the factory Premium Bose with Satellite, I'd be interested to hear yours. But this one works.

Old 05-20-2022, 12:51 AM
Bose and Nav
USASPEC BT45-NIS vs BT45-INF

06 G35X sedan premium package with BOSE and NAV. I’ve read through this entire thread and believe my question has been answered somewhere just looking for confirmation. From reading the OP’s list of choices for my year/model I believe I have a choice of either the USASPEC BT45-INF or BT45-NIS depending on installation location. My installer said access and installation to the rear of the radio is easier in the long run than installing at trunk SAT harness with the added running of wires under the carpet and into console. To confirm I have the option of either INF or NIS products and have decided on the BT45-NIS. Does this sound correct before buying either one? This is my first post, the G35X is for my daughter and Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 05-20-2022, 11:38 AM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
The USASPEC site does NOT list your car as compatible with the -NIS version - although I haven't read this whole thread so maybe others know better. The compatibility list for the -INF version does include your car but it means a trunk installation at the SAT receiver. In my opinion, access to the SAT receiver is easier than going behind the center dash anyway. Plus there's plenty of space back there for the BT45 box. It just means running wires forward for the microphone and AUX or USB inputs. Others here may know better...

Old 05-20-2022, 12:45 PM
Bose and Nav
Originally Posted by 05_SkylineSedan
The USASPEC site does NOT list your car as compatible with the -NIS version - although I haven't read this whole thread so maybe others know better. The compatibility list for the -INF version does include your car but it means a trunk installation at the SAT receiver. In my opinion, access to the SAT receiver is easier than going behind the center dash anyway. Plus there's plenty of space back there for the BT45 box. It just means running wires forward for the microphone and AUX or USB inputs. Others here may know better...
I believe Wrathernaut explained that it was compatible and just a preference of where you wanted to install, rear of radio or trunk deck. I ordered the BT45- NIS because my local installer rather remove the radio than fish wires under the carpet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio