Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Installed a Scosche double DIN & Pioneer AVH-4200NEX this weekend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thesalboy
Anyone confirmed that ROEM-NIS2 is needed and will work with Scosche kit? Anything else other than antennae adapter needed?

FYI I signed up for Scosche spam to get 15% discount code, and it has applied in the cart. Must be used w/in 7 days. I'm getting black to avoid color mismatch - tech pretty much told me not to trust the color match due to "fading".
To my understanding, the harness from Scosche is for the non-bose system. I still bought the NIS2 but, am still figuring out how to just integrate the Scosche SWC into it. I believe I am going to shed the non-essentials of the Scosche harness which is confusing as it thas three white harnesses to connect and the NIS2 has two as does other available harnesses. My only experience with intallations are in basic installs.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally getting to this. All I can say for now is that the third white plug on the Scosche harness that is not included in the NIS2 harness appears to include wiring for steering wheel controls. I will need to compare car harness wires to see what's up. I just pulled the factory unit and tore it to pieces to get my buddy's mom's Chicago CD out of it. "It's been in there for years! You're the greatest!!!"

Last edited by thesalboy; 10-11-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:24 PM
I think I've nailed down the details, but am checking one last issue. Will do a test install and update this post this weekend. For now, here are links to helpful videos:

Removing factory stereo

Removing 6M/T shift **** [OMG that was a b%&^h!]

Old 10-13-2018, 09:19 PM
Test install succeeded. Sound quality is excellent - I will not be upgrading speakers.

Scosche trim fits well, and HVAC button operation is pretty nice, though temp wheel is a bit finicky - it skips by 2* often. I will have the Scosche trim and the lower dash center piece professionally painted to match the center vents.

A mild warning about the Scosche harness: it is missing ground wires at several pins across the plugs, and in my view grounds the M40 black wire to the wrong pin. In the pic below, on the left is the Scosche harness, which pins the M40 black wire to pin 7, which corresponds to a red/yellow wire on the body side that is not covered in the FSM (I consulted with Wrathernaut, and it seems it may be an illumination ground). Compare that with the NIS2 harness on the right, which pins the M40 black wire to pin 9, which corresponds to a proper earth.

Because of the above issue, I pinned everything out, but it wound up matching what Wrathernaut has for NIS2 install, except for steering wheel controls. To get those to work, all I had to do was cut the black, yellow, and red wires off the Scoshce II01SR harness and T-splice them into the black, yellow, and red wires on the NIS2 M40 harness. (Scoshce harness is otherwise discarded in favor of NIS2.)

Also used Wrathernaut's suggested antenna adapter.

Still need to run the mic, run the rear camera, and tap the reverse wire and run that.

The following users liked this post:
Wrathernaut (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 11:06 PM
G35 coupe 6MT
Hi folks, first time poster. I've been avidly following this thread, and today doing the install of Pioneer MVH-300EX Double Din Digital Multimedia Video Receiver and Scosche II1652GMSZB. I've hit an odd problem. I have my dash apart, wired up the harness, and wanted to test everything before putting things back together. The problem is, the sound coming out of the speakers is very quiet, like maybe only 10 percent of the volume it should be. Also, the left front speaker has no sound coming out of it. I've triple checked my soldering and wire match ups. I've also ruled out the new Pioneer head unit, I have another car that also has a Pioneer brand unit, I unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one, and everything works and sounds fine with the new one.

Things that work fine, the new Scosche HVAC controls seem to be fine, the steering controls work fine on the new unit, just the volume of the unit is very quiet. If I turn it up to the max 40 there is crackling, and again the front left speaker has nothing. I'm guessing something is wrong with the harness, or my wiring, or the car. The car is a 2004 G35 coupe MT, non-Bose (no rear deck speakers, no amp). One thing I did notice, on the Scosche wiring harness for the 8-wire speaker outputs from the stereo, there's some circuit board connected to it, surrounded by shrink wrap (you can see it in the post #77 first pic). What is that for? Any other ideas you guys may have about why my sound is so low? Thanks in advance... Tom

Old 10-14-2018, 12:09 PM
Bose or standard stereo? If Bose, I'm not 100% sure, but I think that issue is why people use the PAC ROEM NIS2.

I don't know what module Scosche put inline with the speaker outputs. Noise suppression?

Old 10-14-2018, 12:46 PM
G35 coupe 6MT
I have the standard, non-Bose system. I'm wondering if that circuitry on the 8 wire speaker harness is reducing the volume, I mean there shouldn't be anything between the stereo speaker output and the 4-speakers themselves in a standard system, right?

Old 10-14-2018, 12:50 PM
I'd call Scosche.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:23 PM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by thomase
I have the standard, non-Bose system. I'm wondering if that circuitry on the 8 wire speaker harness is reducing the volume, I mean there shouldn't be anything between the stereo speaker output and the 4-speakers themselves in a standard system, right?
Thats correct!

thomase (10-15-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by thomase
Hi folks, first time poster. I've been avidly following this thread, and today doing the install of Pioneer MVH-300EX Double Din Digital Multimedia Video Receiver and Scosche II1652GMSZB. I've hit an odd problem. I have my dash apart, wired up the harness, and wanted to test everything before putting things back together. The problem is, the sound coming out of the speakers is very quiet, like maybe only 10 percent of the volume it should be. Also, the left front speaker has no sound coming out of it. I've triple checked my soldering and wire match ups. I've also ruled out the new Pioneer head unit, I have another car that also has a Pioneer brand unit, I unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one, and everything works and sounds fine with the new one.

Things that work fine, the new Scosche HVAC controls seem to be fine, the steering controls work fine on the new unit, just the volume of the unit is very quiet. If I turn it up to the max 40 there is crackling, and again the front left speaker has nothing. I'm guessing something is wrong with the harness, or my wiring, or the car. The car is a 2004 G35 coupe MT, non-Bose (no rear deck speakers, no amp). One thing I did notice, on the Scosche wiring harness for the 8-wire speaker outputs from the stereo, there's some circuit board connected to it, surrounded by shrink wrap (you can see it in the post #77 first pic). What is that for? Any other ideas you guys may have about why my sound is so low? Thanks in advance... Tom
Try wiring up the speakers directly to the head unit, without going thru any aftermarket harnesses.

thomase (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 01:04 AM
G35 coupe 6MT
I tested each of the four stock speakers through the car harness and they were all fine. So I cut off that that little circuit board on the Scosche harness and redid the harness, and now every works great! It seems like that circuitry was to reduce speaker level output to an amp level input.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:09 AM
G35 coupe 6MT
Also in case anyone is thinking about buying, I was able to get the kit for $159.80 complete from Scosche site ($208.95 -$62.69 discount + $13.54 CA TAX no shipping fee) using discount code sco30 (it worked last week).

Old 10-15-2018, 07:29 AM
Glad you got it to work. Looks like that module is for Bose...

Scosche's website periodically offers discounts. I got 15% and last week saw 20%.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:06 PM
G35 coupe 6MT
This is the thing I cut out of the speaker harness to get it to work on a non-Bose standard system with no amp.

circuit that reduced speaker level to amp level in

Old 10-16-2018, 04:49 AM
Nice that u got it figured out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed a Scosche double DIN & Pioneer AVH-4200NEX this weekend