Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Change 12V Sockets to always live

Old 02-05-2024, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Change 12V Sockets to always live

I have a 2003 G35 Sedan. I want to use a solar panel trickle charger to keep my battery fully charged. It would like to keep the panel inside the vehicle (attached to rear window with the suction cups) and just use the 12v auto plug that comes with it to plug it into any one of the three 12v sockets in the cabin (two on the front dash and one in the center console storage area). All three of these sockets are dead when the key is not in ignition or accessory. Is there an easy way to convert one of these sockets so that it will be connected to the electrical system when no key is used? If I could do this it would be my first choice for the trickle charge connection. To hook up the panel directly to the battery with the alligator clips would be a hassle unless there is a convenient way to run the charging cable through the firewall and into the cabin. This would be choice #2. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Old 02-05-2024, 07:51 PM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Do you have a Bose system? If so, there is a line that runs directly from the battery (through a fuse) to the woofer amp in your rear deck. It might be slick to tap into that. I can't say for sure your solar panel would generate enough current to keep your battery topped-up - but it's certainly a neat idea.

Old 02-05-2024, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I like the idea but not the execution. Tap into a fuse block behind the battery and terminate your solar panel wiring somewhere accessible from the exterior of the car. I would think in the front grille would be a good spot. What do You think?

Old 02-08-2024, 01:11 PM
Thank you for your suggestion. I will take it into consideration.

Old 02-08-2024, 01:19 PM
The G35 is most often used for short around town driving so because of these short runs the battery doesn't have enough time to get fully recharged. I would prefer to be able to connect the panel inside the passenger compartment. While parked in my driveway (in sunny Florida) the rear window has a southern exposure so mounting it with the suction cups to the inside of the rear window will be ideal. I would like to be able to get in the car, disconnect the 12v power cord (male) from the 12v socket (female) in the car and just start up and drive away. When I leave the car I would simply plug it back in. Does this make sense to you. If so any thought s on how I can change the 12v socket in the center console to "live" always? Thanks for your help.

Old 02-09-2024, 12:40 AM
I like your idea and encourage you to find a way to pull it off. Really, the easiest way may be to simply run your own (fused) wire or wires from the battery lugs to the center console cigarette lighter. You'll want to be careful having the solar panel terminate with a male cigarette lighter plug because when unplugged it will be live DC voltage on the two exposed contacts. If the rig came with the usual "protected +" trickle charger connectors you might consider running those through the center console for easy access. Not as slick as your idea but it wouldn't leave the panel sending live voltage to that connector. Just a thought.

Old 02-10-2024, 10:21 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The ECM opens/closes the main relays located inside the IPDM (engine bay fuse box). You cannot force it to keep those relays closed, just hook directly to the battery, fuse protected of course.

Old 02-10-2024, 10:45 AM
Thank you for your thoughts. The solar panel wiring has two options to connect to battery; alligator clips or the 12v (male) connector, however, they can be interchanged as they connect to the wire that leaves the panel, not the panel itself, via a connector. The actual male plug can be disconnected at that connector.

Old 02-11-2024, 11:45 AM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
You are probably going to have to cut the ends off your solar plug if you want to have it permanently wired into the car. Then either route the wires straight to your battery. Or find a source of constant 12v power (even when they keys are off) and wire it into there. I’m thinking maybe one of the dome lights??

Old 02-11-2024, 11:50 AM
The 12v sockets are controlled by a relay inside the IPDM. And that same relay controls a bunch of other circuits too, therefore you cant have it always on.

You can either modify a bunch of electrical wires to make it work the way you want it, or you can just run the wires directly to the battery. Leave the quick-disconnect end hidden somewhere so you can easily plug in/remove the solar panel whenever needed.

Old 02-11-2024, 12:06 PM
Another way to do it if you really want to use the cigarette lighter option:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...hter-plug.html

Old 02-11-2024, 02:17 PM
That is the option I am hoping to use (the cigarette lighter). But all of them (3) in the vehicle require the ignition to be in the on mode. I was looking for some advice on how to change the hot side of the 12 v socket from a ignition on power source, to an always on power source. Of course I will not be obtaining power from that socket, but using it to complete the path to the battery while the solar power generates a charge though it. As of the way it is wired now the solar charge would not get to the battery unless the ignition is on. I'm looking for a good hot lead tap point. No need to cut the charging cord as I don't want it "permanently" wired to the car, I will plug the male charging connection into the socket as I leave the vehicle and pull the plug out when I am driving and the battery is being charged through the alternator.

Old 02-11-2024, 05:00 PM
Again, I think it's a cool idea as I can already picture how easy it would be to just plug it in as you leave the car. Although, would the solar panel be stuck to the back window permanently? Don't want to block your rear view.

So ... I still think your best bet would be to get a ring connector trickle charger wire (with in-line fuse) and do a home run from the battery to that center console power outlet. As far as I can tell there are no constant power leads in the center floor console. The nearest may be the power seats? Or there's the clock or AV unit - but those are a can of worms to get to. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Old 02-11-2024, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Rudyveiga
That is the option I am hoping to use (the cigarette lighter). But all of them (3) in the vehicle require the ignition to be in the on mode. I was looking for some advice on how to change the hot side of the 12 v socket from a ignition on power source, to an always on power source. Of course I will not be obtaining power from that socket, but using it to complete the path to the battery while the solar power generates a charge though it. As of the way it is wired now the solar charge would not get to the battery unless the ignition is on. I'm looking for a good hot lead tap point. No need to cut the charging cord as I don't want it "permanently" wired to the car, I will plug the male charging connection into the socket as I leave the vehicle and pull the plug out when I am driving and the battery is being charged through the alternator.
See my previous post #11

Old 02-18-2024, 12:39 PM
Hey Scorpi0, just came back to this today and took a peek at your link. That will be very helpful, thank you. Regards, Another Scorpio.

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (02-18-2024)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Change 12V Sockets to always live