Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?

I have installed a Pioneer AVH-P3400BH DVD receiver in my 2003 Infinity G35 Coupe. I would like to add (install) the Pioneer ND-BC5 backup video camera as add on to the Pioneer AVH-P3400BH radio.

According to the radio instructions I need to connect the Violet/White wire of the radio to the wire of the backup lamp (tail light) or gear selector wire which changes voltage when the gear selector is put in the REVERSE (R) position, in addition to the backup camera wires.

Does anybody know if any one of Audio or A/C Control harnesses have this wire included in the harness? If so which wire color or pin number?

My alternative is to locate the Transmission Control Unit (TCM) connector/harness, which is located behind the dash side lower RH (right hand) finisher -- finisher near floor on RH side of passenger foot/floor space.

According to the service manual the following pins/wires have the following function:

Terminal No: 38, wire color SB (Sky Blue), Item: PNP switch 3:
  • Selector lever in “D” position. Battery voltage
  • Selector lever in “R” position. Less than 2.5V

or

Terminal No: 41, wire color R (Red), item: Back-up lamp relay:
  • Selector lever in “R” position. 0V
  • Selector lever in other positions. Battery voltage

or

Terminal No: 47, wire color G/W (Green/White), PNP switch 3 (monitor):
  • Selector lever in “D” position. Battery voltage
  • Selector lever in “R” position. Less than 2.5V

Any help, advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Cameron

Last edited by cninham; 04-09-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Check out post #57 from this thread.
Originally Posted by Mikesta
I do! to tap in for the backup wire from the radio to only turn backup camera on during backing up, you use a purple wire from the driverside kick panel, there is a huge FAT black loom full of cables carefully open that up and look for a purple cable there is two one is in a smaller collection to the other, you want the other not from the small cable collection (I hope that helps) also test the cable when you do it to be 100% sure with a multi reader, Change the stereo setting to be battery so it only turns on when in reverse.

At the back of the car there is a rubber gromit feeding the tag lights, you can use that to push the cables into the trunk. I used the power from the backup light at the back of the camera so it only comes on during backing up its also a dark purple on the light.

I always wish I took pictures during install and never do. sorry I hope it helps though

Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 AM
I also forgot to ask: what is the best or recommended way to route the video cable from the backup camera in the rear/trunk to the front head unit in the dash?

Should I route the cable along the trunk side wall, underneath the plastic cover at the bottom of the door, to the dash...? How do I get the cable from the run along the door past/through the divider between the passenger compartment and the trunk (where the rear seats fold down)...? Are the any "openings" that I can run the cable through or will I have to drill some access holes? Is it better/easier to try and snake the cable underneath the carpet in the passenger compartment to the trunk? Should I try to run the cable along the roof inside the headliner cover?

Thank you,

Cameron

Old 04-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
maybe you should go from your backseat, under the center carpet, into the center console, bam your at the head unit... comprende?

The following users liked this post:
cninham (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 11:50 PM
- If you also have an aftermarket amp, I wouldn't run the video line alongside your amp's power line.
- How long is your cable? Mine was 12 ft. and it wasn't nearly long enough. You might consider datbeans's idea if thats the case.
- If you're going to be running any other lines (RCA etc) anyhow, then I'd just run it alongside the RCAs.

The following users liked this post:
cninham (04-11-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 AM
I need some help/info, please. I elected to use terminal 41, the back-up lamp relay, on the Transmission Control Module (TCM) harness/wire (passenger kick panel, lower front right floor), to connect to the radio's violet/white wire -- this wire in the TCM changes voltage when the gear selector is put in the REVERSE (R) position.

Everything works fine and when I put the car in reverse ("R") gear then the radio switches the display to the rear view camera.

Here is the problem though: wire/terminal 41 is battery voltage (12~13.8V) in any position other than "R", and drops to 0V when the "R" gear is selected. However, when you turn the ignition from ON to ACC then the voltage also drops to 0V and this triggers the radio to switch to the rear view camera display. As a result I cannot turn the ignition to ACC and listen to the radio (operate the touch screen) as the radio switches to the rear view camera display and turns "off" the radio controls... (bummer!)

Question: Does anybody know if the purple wire on the driver's side kick panel, as per the advice by Top Tekke and Mikesta (post 57 in this thread), is low voltage or 0V in any position other than "R" and changes to a higher voltage (e.g. battery voltage, 12~13.8V) when the "R" (reverse) gear is selected...? This will probably solve my problem so that the radio does not switch to the rear view camera display when the ignition is turned to the ACC position.

Thank you -- Cameron

Attached Thumbnails Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?-tcm_connector_diagram-.png   Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?-tcm_connector_diagram-b.png  
Old 04-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The purple wire, is 0volts when reverse gear is not engaged, once reverse is in gear it becomes 12volts.

Hope that helps,

Old 04-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Great -- that helps! Thanks for the info!

Quick question: did you have to cut open the protective plastic tube or insulating electrical tape to get access to the purple wire? I have a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe and am trying to figure out which bundle of cables to access.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Yes a little cutting was needed I think it was just on the tape though to open it up enough to get the purple wire, within the big fat one is a smaller tube its not in the smaller tube (I see because there are two purple wires) I have a 03 coupe as well

Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Mikesta -- how did you ever find the purple wire behind the kick panel on the driver's side?

I am curious if there is an equivalent "purple" wire behind the kick panel on the passenger's side? Maybe sandwiched somewhere in between all the wires in the TCM wire harness?

I am hoping there is...! (Although I am doubtful) I have taken apart the trim panels, dash, and center console so many times to work on the radio and related wiring issues that I am seriously dread taking it all appart one more time to move the rear view camera voltage wire from the kick panel on the passenger side (TCM module) to the kick panel on the driver's side...!

- -

Thanks -- Cameron

Old 04-26-2012, 02:29 PM
I found a picture online and then used it for reference, I posted it in the other thread and here it is to make it easier...

I cannot answer about the passenger side sorry.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:12 PM
You could try rooting around with your volt meter on the passenger side till you find a better choice, but it definitely worked on the driver side for me.

Also, have you tried selecting a different polarity for the camera on your deck? Might do the trick.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I just wired my reverse camera. It's been installed for a while but not detecting reverse, had to turn it on manually. In my '04 Sedan, the wire was orange. I tried the purple wire that other threads say, it didn't work. I tested it with a multimeter and got no readings. So I popped off the taillight cover on the underside of the trunk like I was going to change out the taillights and my wire was orange. Tested the orange next to the kick panel and it was the right one. If you don't know which wire bundle to use, remove the plastic guard that goes over the rubber weatherproofing (the trim piece that's about 3 feet long) and pull the carpet up a little bit... the cables that run along that side under the carpet, those are the cables you can tap into. Find the right color there, and if your wire isn't long enough, trace the bundle back to the kick panel.

Last edited by RADRaze2KX; 03-20-2013 at 02:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RADRaze2KX:
jmoh (03-20-2013), StonersG35 (08-14-2016)
Old 05-07-2012, 01:43 PM
PART 1

I switched my back-up light "sensing" wire from the one in the TCM harness behind the kick panel on the passenger side to the purple wire behind the kick panel on the driver's side.

See attached pictures:

Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?-12050701.jpg

Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?-12050702.jpg

Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?-12050703.jpg

Old 05-07-2012, 01:45 PM
PART 2 of 3

Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?-12050704.jpg

Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?-12050705.jpg

Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?-12050706.jpg

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing a backup camera -- which harness wire indicates backup light or "R" gear?