G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video & Electronics (https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-20/)
-   -   03-04 Factory Nav Delete (https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/466180-03-04-factory-nav-delete.html)

Palespartan 03-13-2019 02:42 PM

03-04 Factory Nav Delete

Hi everyone been lurking on here since I bought my G35 a few months back. I have seen other posts about people talking about deleting factory navigation but all were posted back when Nissan was still making DVDs for them (ended in 2013) so since now it is just dead weight and useless compared to what my phone can do. I figured when I install the Scosche double din kit I would take out the factory navigation with it. I just wanted to check with people who know about this stuff as to what else (if anything) it effects on the car, like compass or if there are important wires going through it that need to be spliced or if its useless and I should just leave it even if I never use the thing. Also If this is possible to just remove with no ramifications then if anyone has the part number for the pocket that would be awesome.

Thanks in advanced,
Pale

TokkioDrift 03-14-2019 01:04 PM

The Nav stands alone as an option, so no real ramifications to removing it. The compass is built into the homelink mirror.

The cubby can be found on eBay and elsewhere with keywords like g35 dash storage cubby/pocket and is the same for all 35 coupe/sedans. Just find one to match your trim color.
You also can go to one of the big infiniti parts sites and browse interior dash components and see if you can pull the part number if you aren't finding any listings.

The Scosche kit is nicer than the Metra (the buttons are definitely an upgrade), but I learned some things: a) it's likely cheaper to order direct from scosche than any site I could find. b) scosche has responsive customer support, but does charge a restocking fee c) I am more picky about color matching than I thought. The platinum is not a match if you have a black/silver interior and the options were to have it paint matched or wrap my whole interior on my own dime, get a black unit, or send it back and go another route. I had just bought some new interior pieces, so I decided hang out in the private marketplace and scooped a used JDM kit (also available on conceptz) and it is perfection.

Regardless of what trim kit you go with, you will want to head over to Wrathernaut's DDIN Sticky for all the info you need to do your upgrade/install right the first time.
Good luck and welcome.

Palespartan 03-14-2019 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by TokkioDrift (Post 7163635)
The Nav stands alone as an option, so no real ramifications to removing it. The compass is built into the homelink mirror.

The cubby can be found on eBay and elsewhere with keywords like g35 dash storage cubby/pocket and is the same for all 35 coupe/sedans. Just find one to match your trim color.
You also can go to one of the big infiniti parts sites and browse interior dash components and see if you can pull the part number if you aren't finding any listings.

The Scosche kit is nicer than the Metra (the buttons are definitely an upgrade), but I learned some things: a) it's likely cheaper to order direct from scosche than any site I could find. b) scosche has responsive customer support, but does charge a restocking fee c) I am more picky about color matching than I thought. The platinum is not a match if you have a black/silver interior and the options were to have it paint matched or wrap my whole interior on my own dime, get a black unit, or send it back and go another route. I had just bought some new interior pieces, so I decided hang out in the private marketplace and scooped a used JDM kit (also available on conceptz) and it is perfection.

Regardless of what trim kit you go with, you will want to head over to Wrathernaut's DDIN Sticky for all the info you need to do your upgrade/install right the first time.
Good luck and welcome.

Great info. My compass is behind the clock setup not in the mirror if that makes a difference (03-04 were this way) and I have checked out that sticky and have it bookmarked for when I actually do the install. Definitely good to know on the color matching since that is the exact color of my interior so now I might go with black as much as it will pain me to not have it match the center console with my shifter surround. And yeah after some looking found some scosche that were cheaper only to have them turn out to be single climate not dual like my car currently is. I would consider the JDM option but for an extra $100 and having to do some button reaping on the circuit board to have dual climate functionality seems to be a bit much (on top of having to buy the wire harnesses and the steering wheel control box that the scoshe kit comes with). But definitely good info. Thanks for the quick reply.

TokkioDrift 03-14-2019 02:36 PM

D'oh. I have an 04 coupe...I just forgot where the compass is. Regardless, the compass sensor is separate (in a module with the ambient temp sensor).

I took out my nav unit, put it back in, and took the nav screen and dvd player out again with no ill effects. The harness itself is way more work than it is worth to remove.
My experience with the scosche was several months back - maybe they've updated the product...would be worth reaching out to their support.

The dual button swap was seriously not as big of a deal as it looks...but I feel you.
Sounds like you're headed in the right direction! Be super careful with the trim around the clock/dash display....the plastic gets brittle from uv and is prone to cracking if you don't get at the release clips right.

Timco 03-30-2019 09:47 AM

I just bought an 04 g35 AWD sedan. Like you, I've been examining the site & learning.
Sounds like no one is terribly impressed by the old nav system

i found Naviks who sell an adapter that plugs into existing wiring harness & lets you mirror your iPhone through the wifi adapter. So then I can use my phone map system (& other phone capabilities) through the existing screen. I should also be able to use that wifi to connect wireless backup camera. Trying to avoid a lot of fooling around with wires & splicing

i tried to post this earlier (is there a delay between my submitting & a moderator reviewing?) but it didn't show up

if no one points out a reason why this isn't a good idea, I'll try it out