Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Bose (Factory) Head Unit but with after market speakers...loud hissing sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose (Factory) Head Unit but with after market speakers...loud hissing sound

I would really appreciate any feedback from all you knowledgeable DIYers or car stereo buffs out there...

I recently added after market speakers to my '05 6MT Coupe. Basically I replaced the front Bose component speakers with after market components, and the rear 6x9 Bose subs with after market 6x9 mids and left the stock Bose mids in the passenger panels...I also added 800.4W amp and a 1200.2 amp to power my 2x10" subs in the trunk. And as you probably know, I had to put a hi/low converter (2ohm to 4ohm), as I added the amps. I've left the head unit alone and stayed with the stock 6 disc Bose and Nav.

Everything sounds a lot better with the exception of a hissing sound that is on regardless of if the stereo is on or off. I addressed this with my installer, and he told me that the reason for this is because of the converters...

Ultimately, my question is in regards to this hissing sound. Does anyone know of a way to make it stop?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by chinfiniti; 12-08-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, I suspect that your new amps stay one regardless of whether the HU is on or off.

Secondly, there are many, many systems that dont' have the hiss, so I am conffident you can upgrade without it. But I don't know what gear you have, so I do't know for sure if it can be eliminated in your s(subtle hint to tell me what your amps and converters are

When you say hiss, I just want to make sure that it's not a whine, and that it doesn't change with engine RPM.

My initial suspicion is that your gains are up too high on your front amp. Depending on your gear you might not need a converter at all.

If you research this section you will find many many posts describing how to do what you're talking about.

Old 12-08-2005, 12:55 PM
el_duderino:

================================================== ====

Performance Teknique AMPS
1200.2w ICBM-779
800.4 ICBM-772

Beyma Speakers
SC-650 components
SC-6903 6x9

SUBS
(not really sure, but I doubt this is the cause of the hissing)

Converters
Directed Electronics (exact model, unknown)
================================================== =====

The hissing sound is DEFINITELY not the whine (dentist drill) sound that correlates with engine RPM. This is a very loud audible hiss that sounds like you're listening to a regular cassette tape.

I've been reading the forum for posts, but I haven't seen anything to address my issue as of yet.

I found it hard to believe that the installer said that there was no way around this hissing sound, and of course, he later brought up the fact that I could probably buy an EQ for around $500 (JL). I did read up on JL's cleansweep, but I don't know if that would be useful in correcting this hissing problem?

Thanks again.

Last edited by chinfiniti; 12-08-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Eqs don't solve hissing problems. The installer is incompetent at OEM HU integration.

I don't have any experience with those amps so I don't know if they work with balanced outputs or not. Many amps can take the Infiniti HU outputs directly.

But the Directed LOC is speaker level to single-ended RCA, and you have balanced coming out of your deck, not speaker level. It's part of the problem, I think. I know that it hasn't worked well in Lexus cars for Directed employees

I'd try a Soundgate LOCPREA. It's worked for us in that car just fine.

Where are you geographically and where did you get the install done?

Old 12-08-2005, 01:32 PM
duderino,

I'm in San Diego area, and I got the install done up in San Juan Capistrano. The only reason why I went to this place is because the dealer (where I bought my car) uses this shop to do all of their "custom" installations, like LCD panel installs, backup cameras, DVD players, etc.

I actually spoke with the installer a few minutes ago, to complain about the hissing noise, and he told me he would take care of the problem by adding a filter (if needed). I'm just afraid that this guy is setting me up to sell me a lot of uneccessary equipment (like the EQ). Is there something I should be asking this guy about the install (when he calls me back, I will ask him about the balanced outputs on the amps). This is the link to the manufacturer's website: http://www.performance-teknique.com/...77xseries.html

Another thing is that in the Infiniti (at least in the '05 6MT Coupe) when I go to set the BASS/TREBLE/FADE/BALANCE/etc settings, it make a beeping noise when I make adjustments. After the installation, the beeping noises are really loud as well. I mentioned this when I picked the car up, but he said he had to bypass something and that's why it's very loud. This is definitely a minor issue (as I'm not always changing my settings) but would appreciate your thoughts.

Also, since it sounds like you install sound systems, and at the very least, extremely knowledgable regarding them....I would value your opinion about the price I paid for this system...roughly $2,300.00

Regards.

Last edited by chinfiniti; 12-08-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Sure sounds like the gains need to be adjusted to me. If you are using all your speakers have him switch the front and rears , the beep only comes out the front. The Beep being lound is the gain on the amp turned up which also give a hiss. I am a little concerned about this installers ability at this point.....

Mark

Old 12-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Mark,

It sure sounds like it at this point. Again, the only reason why I went to this shop is because the actual Infiniti dealer uses them for when have sell cars that require...after market additions. One would assume that the installer would *know* how to get around these issues.

I'm just afraid that the installer is trying to squeeze a little more cash from me by telling me I need things that I really don't. I honestly regret not getting a recommendation from this forum BEFORE I got the work done.

Instant gratification's a bitch.

Whenever I have time, I'll check the gains on amps, but everything was mounted "discreetly" so I may have problems getting to them.

Thanks for the input.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The installer is probably buddies with the dealership guy you talked to. "Hey man, I sent someone over there, his name is _____. Yeah thanks, hooked him right up, wanna play a round of golf on me? Thanks for the business!"

You will also notice the beeping is louder, mine does this too and my gains are properly set. That's not to say your gains are properly set, but rather to get used to the beeping, as it seems to come with going aftermarket but keeping the stock HU.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Amthar , sorry to disagree but my beeps are not loud. At first they were so that is why I put them on the back. I have many level adjustments on my set up (actually too many,lol)but others will be different. I went to front stage only so I now have no beeps but it was acceptable before I switched over to just front.

Mark

PS most of the time we agree but it seems i have disagreed w/you before but I want say publically I am not "starting anything" . See 1st part where we I say we mostly agree

Old 12-08-2005, 04:34 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like the gains are cranked up way too high.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by opimax
Amthar , sorry to disagree but my beeps are not loud. At first they were so that is why I put them on the back. I have many level adjustments on my set up (actually too many,lol)but others will be different. I went to front stage only so I now have no beeps but it was acceptable before I switched over to just front.
how did you put them to the rear?

Old 12-08-2005, 06:45 PM
The amps are crap and they might be the problem too.

There's an Orange County shop that's owned by a forum member.. anyone remember his name?

The shops taht do dealer work are often the worst of all.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:20 PM
many years ago i experienced the same thing w/ dealer recommended shop. the F'd my hinges by making room for magnets in the kick panel and then closed the doors. Found out later it was the worst shop in the area.

Originally I swapped front and rear outputs of the head unit to the LOC or used the rear fromt the LOC to run the fron amp at the time. Now I use my rear output for my only input to the rest of the stereo. the beep is only on the front channels. The EQ has a Xover which I use only the upper end over 40-80hz depending on how I last adjusted it and has a seperate full range that goes the sub amp which has its own xover and remote level. The EQ input has its own level control, both outputs have seperate level controls. both amps have their own level control, the Clean sweep has its own level control.

Crank any of them up too much = HISSSSSSS

Mark

Old 12-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Gains are definitely the usual cause of hiss.

But I've seen LOCs on balanced outputs hose the noise floor many times.

And crappy amps don't help either.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
My cousin had a similiar problem like this, the sound went up with the rpm's. it was a problem with the ground wires for the deck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bose (Factory) Head Unit but with after market speakers...loud hissing sound