G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video & Electronics (https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-20/)
-   -   Changing speakers (https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/9928-changing-speakers.html)

MNDZA 09-17-2003 12:41 AM

Changing speakers

I want to improve the sound, but from what I heard it won't do any good if you just change the speakers. I hear that you need to put a new amp in there as well or else the speakers are useless. Is this true?

kalel 09-18-2003 03:43 AM

Re: Changing speakers

I am no expert on this. However, I have had my speakers (not the sub) and amp replaced. My understanding is that you must replace the Bose amp if you change out your speakers. I now have an all Diamond set-up. I am thrilled. Very powerful, extremely clean, and much more accurate to my ears... a huge improvement. Dynamat was used on the front speakers only. The old speakers had a bit of a rattle to them. That is now gone. Hope this helps.

kalel 09-18-2003 03:43 AM

I am no expert on this. However, I have had my speakers (not the sub) and amp replaced. My understanding is that you must replace the Bose amp if you change out your speakers. I now have an all Diamond set-up. I am thrilled. Very powerful, extremely clean, and much more accurate to my ears... a huge improvement. Dynamat was used on the front speakers only. The old speakers had a bit of a rattle to them. That is now gone. Hope this helps.

areddy14 09-18-2003 01:44 PM

What kind of speakers and amp did you get Kalel? How much did your setup come out to? Thanks.

ncozby 09-18-2003 11:23 PM

I also swapped out my Bose system. They call it "premium" but it is really crap. The speakers are all paper cones and the tweeters look like watch batteries.

I used Eclipse for my amps and MB Quart component sets in all 4 doors. The Bose amp is designed around Bose speakers, so it's not really a good choice for aftermarket audio. I replaced mine with the Eclipse.

2003 G35 BS Sedan AT
Premium, Winter, Xenon
35% Tint All Around - Clear Side Markers
Custom MB Quart / Eclipse Stereo System
PIAA Hyperwhites All Around & Inside

hksjza70 09-18-2003 11:54 PM

the sizes for the speakers front and rear in the sedan?

my guess is 6.25 front and 5.25 rear?

ncozby, did you retain the factory bose head unit?

MNDZA 09-27-2003 03:44 AM

So I can't just change my speakers without changing the amp to get better sound?

cram 09-27-2003 08:47 AM

Guy over at FreshAlloy.com's forum installed new door speakers (Polk tweeter and 6.5) using the Bose "tweeter " lead and the Polk crossover.

Check out the link below for step by step instructions with pictures.

It did NOT require changing any other Bose components..not even the amp.

http://www.columbusinteractive.com/G35/tweeters

Craig Ramseur
2003.5 G35C/Black Obsidian
Graphite/5AT/Premium/17"
vroom vroom

SixFive 09-27-2003 08:56 AM

I found an exta amp when we moved last month. It's a Rockford Fosgate 460SD I bought in 1993. Had it in a CRX - man what acoustics you can get in a fishbowl shaped interior.

I have a upgraded bose in the Sedan.
What configuration if any would be optimal for additional power by including the amp - it's 240 watts - 60X4?? I am adding the Polk 3500 1 inch tweeters this weekend and would figure the sound would be fine. Can you simply run another amp in series with the existing one?

04NismoV35 09-27-2003 11:16 AM

You can just change the speakers without the amp. Another guy on this board swapped the tweeter and was much happier. The problem is that the Bose amp does not have enough power IMO and it's equalized and crossed-over for the Bose speakers so you wont get the full benifit of the new speakers.

SixFive 09-27-2003 10:48 PM

It has a new 4k crossover