Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II Grand-Am Cup, JGTC , Procar SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures

Brake Advice for HPDE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
heh, figure i'd jump in on this post if not super late.

I drive a 2005 g35 sedan, 6mt, been to quite a few hpde sessions. HPDE 1&2, there's most of the times tons of traffic, so breaks do okay. On a hot day with stock breaks, had some terrible break fade at a track with a lot of heavy breaking sessions. Switched out to the brembos off a wrecked 350z track and using hawk hp+ pads, haven't had a problem with break fade yet, thought the hawk hp+ pads are barely street-able. They make my car sound like an old bus, and I can't really tolerate driving with my windows down anymore.

MT is definitely the way to go. A big problem with AT is just that it is so laggy. When you hit the gas, it takes a long time to downshift and actually accelerate. If you use the sportshift whatever, it's a little better, but still not as nice and direct as manual. It's also unpredictable, when you are using throttle in the corners, it can do weird things, shift when you don't want to, which is not so happy on the traction.

I'd say heal-toe'ing is absolutely essential when driving mt on the track, especially a rwd mt. it is fairly dangerous otherwise. you NEVER want to be turning out of gear, so if you break without heal-toe, that means you stay in the higher gear, which may not even be enough power to control the car in the corner. The car is a lot more stable in the corner with a little gas, that's why our car is FM and slightly balanced front heavy, because you're supposed to be putting a little throttle in the corners. If you don't put on any throttle in a sweeping corner, you'll see, the car will start to rotate and oversteer.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:10 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by totopo
I'd say heal-toe'ing is absolutely essential when driving mt on the track, especially a rwd mt. it is fairly dangerous otherwise. you NEVER want to be turning out of gear, so if you break without heal-toe, that means you stay in the higher gear, which may not even be enough power to control the car in the corner.
I'm learning to heel-toe right now. Could not actually heel-toe in this car. I find it much easier to blip the throttle with the right edge of my foot. Same effect.

I disagree that H-T is an absolute necessity. It is pretty critical if you are to the point where tenths of a second are starting to matter. I do agree that you should not be entering a turn out of gear. But you can start your braking a little earlier, clutch in, continue braking, downshift, off brake, blip throttle (up rev) and then gently let off the clutch. This is safe, easy on the drivetrain and perfectly effective. The ONLY problem with this is that you have to start braking earlier. In a race or time trial that's going to cost you some time.

The car is a lot more stable in the corner with a little gas, that's why our car is FM and slightly balanced front heavy, because you're supposed to be putting a little throttle in the corners. If you don't put on any throttle in a sweeping corner, you'll see, the car will start to rotate and oversteer.
Agreed. Enough throttle to maintain speed until apex, then roll into throttle. This will allow the car to rotate a bit even as you unwind the wheel. When the wheel is straight, full throttle.

I've got it all in my head. Takes a lot of practice to get it to work on the track. Just signed up for another event in February. Shooting for 5 events a year.