Lack of drivers seat headroom? Easy, easy $0 Fix

Old 10-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lack of drivers seat headroom? Easy, easy $0 Fix

I know this probably should go in the tech section but I found this minor, minor, minor NO COST mod should be shared with everyone since I view lack of head space for anyone more than 6' as a big shortcoming on the coupe (and possibly the sedan).

On FA another member (Fullcode) posted how he figured out by looking at the seats on his sedan how to lower the seat by possibly up to an inch. I just spent less than 15 minutes and replicated it on my coupe. I probably gained .75" more noggin space and it was so easy. The original post is at the bottom of this thread for reference but here is my summarized instructions with links to Fullcode's quick picture.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mobmed...c3.jpg&.src=ph

Well...I just took a 15 minute break, grabbed a locking set of pliers and a flashlight and now easily have .5-.75" more room for my noggin!! I can't believe how easy that was and now I feel like I'm sitting considerably lower in the seat. This basically adjusts 2 nuts on the threaded rod that contols how high or low the back part of the seat sits at when changed with the toggle switch. Moving the nuts toward the front of the the car on the rod is all that is required. The locking pliers (needle nose worked good for me) get locked around the front nut. Flashlight is to help see under the seat (duh). Grab a clean rag to wipe your hands on after you mess with the rod to keep off the car.

The hardest part was just having to kink my neck a bit. Basically to reiterate Fullcodes post all you have to do is put the drivers seat as far up and forward as possible to gain access, get the locking pliers locked around the far nut in the picture (towards the front of car) and toggle the rear up/down switch so it moves the pliers down, then rotate the pliers clockwise, toggle again, rotate pliers clockwise, and so on until the nut has moved toward the front of the car maybe 1/4" away from the plate you see in his picture. Then you just rotate the other nut and rubber seal (closest to you) clockwise until it mates up with the 1st nut you moved with the pliers....and voila...you are done!! This was easier than my radar power wire install which took all of 15 minutes.

Welcome to comfort my tall friends!!

Original thread on FA:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...c=1&PHPSESSID=

3 kids, 1 wife....1 DG/Willow G Coupe.....what more could I need?

The following 2 users liked this post by G35C2B:
BobSacamano (03-11-2017), lsmooth81 (06-06-2011)
Old 10-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lack of drivers seat headroom? Easy, easy $0 Fix

Wow, I can't believe someone didn't figure this out sooner. I'm surprised the dealerships don't know about this especially with how many complaints there are on the headroom. I'm only 5'6 so I don't have this problem at all, but I often hear it when others drive my car. My passengar seat actually sits too low for my most common passengar (5'1), now I'm wondering if I can somehow raise that, hmmm.

Great post, thanks for the find!

Nate

Old 10-05-2004, 01:21 PM

I've got a pitcher of beer for the first person to post a DIY with pics...

Old 10-05-2004, 01:53 PM

Do you deliver? 8^)

I'll take a few pics.....I have to figure out how to reduce the size down and I haven't posted pics before here so I'm a rookie as far as that goes. If I need some help I'll be contacting you!!

Old 10-05-2004, 02:21 PM

Nate,

I have a feeling that the passenger side can't be adjusted the same way since it doesn't have adustments to height the same way as on the drivers side but its worth a look to see if there is a way.

The following users liked this post:
Twisted.Road (12-29-2011)
Old 10-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW. thanks. im glad to report, this worked on my sedan. took no more than 15 minutes. the front can be lowered too. im not thaat tall, but i could use the extra headroom. also, i like the lower sitting position. much better feel when driving. im goign back to lower it all the way. i like the adjustability.

all you people waiting for a DIY, screw it. you dont need one. just use a wrench or something to grab the smaller nut that is towards the front of the car and adjust it towards the front(plate). to find which screw contraption thingy you need to adjust, adjust the seat and notice the one that moves.

thanks guy. this is a great mod.

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 10-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Re: Lack of drivers seat headroom? Easy, easy $0

I am going to go try it now. Good Job

Old 10-05-2004, 06:00 PM
G (enie) FUNK ERA

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I have a feeling that the passenger side can't be adjusted the same way since it doesn't have adustments to height the same way as on the drivers side but its worth a look to see if there is a way.

<hr></blockquote>

Doesn't really matter - the passenger seat is much lower anyways...

MY G-ENIE

Old 10-10-2004, 12:45 PM
WRAH

I can't turn my lock nuts!!! HELP!!!!

Old 10-11-2004, 10:16 AM

I did the mod this weekend and the results were terrific! The lock nut was difficult to break free, but once I got the vicegrip adjusted properly, and was able to really clamp down, it was easy. However, though I was warned against it, I initially accidentally clamped down on the stop-washer and bent it into an ellipse. O well - it stil does its job. I gained about 3/4 of an inch and am more comfortable than ever.

-townsley-
03 Premium BS/Willow 5AT Sport Sedan
Z-tube/K&N Air Filter/5-wire Grounding Kit
Tinted/Clear Corners/Blinker Mod/Splash Guards

Old 10-12-2004, 04:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys for the great mod. I had my seat rail replaced 2 months ago due to rocking. I noticed afterwards my seat was lower than before. Upon inspection, sure enough it's because of that exact nut was placed further forward. Now my helmet isn't hitting the roof. Great find!.

Name:  Sig.gif
Views: 2583
Size:  114.0 KB
CPV35 G35C Maliblue

The following users liked this post:
Hotdawwgman (08-18-2014)
Old 03-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Thumbs up And to think I almost got new seats!

This could quite possibly be the best news my 6'2" frame has gotten all year, I'm gonna fix this tonight.
An extra .75 of an inch will stop my head from hitting the sunroof frame whenever I do some spirited driving.
Thanks very much

Old 03-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Did mine last night, the only problem I had was I screwed the nut all the way to the base of the motor mount and the seat would not move. I backed the nut off about 1/2 turn to give it some room and it's working fine now.

Great Mod.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:25 PM
G35driver.com Moderator
sweet find dude!

I am going to post your pic here.

Attached Thumbnails Lack of drivers seat headroom?  Easy, easy alt=  
Old 04-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
AWESOME thread. I just picked up my 05 coupe and noticed that i had less room then my 03 coupe. I couldnt figure out why... and was gonna take the seats out from both cars to see what the difference was. But thanks to this thread i will be able to drive 03 and 05 in comfort. Being 6'4" and having a helmet on at track will now make it easier.

For a second i was gonna bring it back to the dealer but ... now i can just do it myself.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Lack of drivers seat headroom? Easy, easy $0 Fix