DIY: side marker blinker mod

Old 08-29-2016, 02:05 AM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
this is not the correct method to do this modification. it is basically sending power back through the positive wire of the turn signal and down through to the ground. this will not work correctly when the parking lights are not on. you could basically force it to work by getting a switch back led because the polarity is reversed when the parking lights are off. the correct method to do this is to use the diodedynamics tail as turn modules. after a couple hours of fiddling and soldering i finally figured it out.

i originally had it with diodes both feeding the positive line of the side marker because i thought the parking light was less voltage like 6-7v but it turns out the parking light is a full 12v and when the turn signal is activated, it does nothing. then i used the method in the diy but it wasnt all that bright, it was super dim with the parking lights on. i was going to use a resistor to dim the parking lights down with the diodes down until i remembered i had purchased the diode dynamics tail as turn modules previously and wasnt using them. this make the side markers function absolutely perfectly. when parking lights are on or off. im freaking ecstatic after messing with it for hours i figured i would share.

this module will also work on the 7443 turn signal mod as well on the 06 head lights. if you want to have a parking light on the turn signal and then have it flash when turn signal is on this will do it. i have the 7443 plug mod so i wont need it but for all those 06 and up head lights that were looking at doing the 7443 dual filament mod you can easily just use the dd module and skip that step

Last edited by .cakestar; 08-29-2016 at 02:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=.cakestar;7073554]this is not the correct method to do this modification. it is basically sending power back through the positive wire of the turn signal and down through to the ground. this will not work correctly when the parking lights are not on. you could basically force it to work by getting a switch back led because the polarity is reversed when the parking lights are off. the correct method to do this is to use the diodedynamics tail as turn modules. after a couple hours of fiddling and soldering i finally figured it out.

Can you do a write up perhaps?

Old 06-13-2017, 02:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just to clarify. The tail as turn module used on the rear turn signals can also be used on the front for the correct way to have the side marker as a blinker and regular blinker work correctly when all lights are on ?

Old 06-13-2017, 03:59 PM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
yep but the only small thing to note is that the tail as turn modues will cause the blinking to be out of sync with the rest of the turn signals if the lights are on. so like ur front blinker will not be in sync with your side marker blinking if the parking lights are on. its just how the module works. for mine i tied the front turn signal to the side marker turn signal so they are both in sync but it will alternate if the tail lights are on if that makes sense

Old 07-08-2017, 12:06 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by .cakestar
yep but the only small thing to note is that the tail as turn modues will cause the blinking to be out of sync with the rest of the turn signals if the lights are on. so like ur front blinker will not be in sync with your side marker blinking if the parking lights are on. its just how the module works. for mine i tied the front turn signal to the side marker turn signal so they are both in sync but it will alternate if the tail lights are on if that makes sense
I did my turn signals like the original OP. With lights off the side marker and turn signal blink in sync with each other, perfect, not dim.

When headlights are on is when they blink out of sync. That's what I don't want, I want my side marker and blinker to blink together. So is there a way to do that. Leaving the rear alone, just mentioning that because you said the rear was out of sync. I want everything in sync or close to it when my lights are on and I hit a blinker. I'm kinda scared Ill get hit with a ticket for alternating lights or some thing. I didn't see you replied to this from my email notifications so I guess I missed it.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaedoggz
you can find them on autolumination.com but like i said to have to buld the back of the lens so a larger bulb could fit
what size switchback bulb did you use?

Old 07-17-2017, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
194 is the stock bulb, if you don't want to resocket or run an LED strip.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
194 is the stock bulb, if you don't want to resocket or run an LED strip.
I'm aware of the stock bulb size, I wanted to know the size of the switch back bulb.