DIY: Rear Wheel Bearing Removal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
easy way to remove the bearing stuck to the spindle/knuckle:

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...-pc-60327.html

just bolt that up and slide the hammer hard, the assembly will come off.
For me, this split the bearing in two with part of it coming off with the hub and the other frozen to the knuckle. The tap out method did it for me

Old 09-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenPenguin
For me, this split the bearing in two with part of it coming off with the hub and the other frozen to the knuckle. The tap out method did it for me
I think I need to talk to my mechanic friend to see if he has a recommended size draft pin. I've been using a a punch that's been leaving indentation on the bolts. Did you use a deep well socket to hammer the bolts or did you use a skinny?

Fortunately nothing is broken this time I've taken apart my car so I can put it back together and drive to work tomorrow

Old 09-06-2016, 04:37 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ProBballChamp
I think I need to talk to my mechanic friend to see if he has a recommended size draft pin. I've been using a a punch that's been leaving indentation on the bolts. Did you use a deep well socket to hammer the bolts or did you use a skinny?

Fortunately nothing is broken this time I've taken apart my car so I can put it back together and drive to work tomorrow
Its been over 3 years now but I recall using a punch with a smaller diameter than the bolt heads. At the time, I was more concerned with damaging the threads that I didnt even notice if there were any indentations. Surely there were some though...

Old 07-06-2017, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=drsifu1;4275778]Parts that were ordered:

$119- Hub assembly (comes with studs pre-installed)
$56- Bearing assembly
$16- Seal
$4- New axle nut

Below picture is courtesy of WaiJai. It includes everything I bought, just missing the axle nut. Nut is not required, but it's for my own piece of mind.

The hub assembly is also NOT required to replace the bearing, but again, it's for my own piece of mind.

I was changing my rotors today and, I stripped one of the studs. I tried to put a new one in and, stripped the inside of the hub assembly. I've looked online for a new hub and bearing and it costs around 200 for the hub alone. Where did you find the Hub for 100 dollars?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
[QUOTE=Pjanoo;7111099]
Originally Posted by drsifu1
Parts that were ordered:

$119- Hub assembly (comes with studs pre-installed)
$56- Bearing assembly
$16- Seal
$4- New axle nut

Below picture is courtesy of WaiJai. It includes everything I bought, just missing the axle nut. Nut is not required, but it's for my own piece of mind.

The hub assembly is also NOT required to replace the bearing, but again, it's for my own piece of mind.

I was changing my rotors today and, I stripped one of the studs. I tried to put a new one in and, stripped the inside of the hub assembly. I've looked online for a new hub and bearing and it costs around 200 for the hub alone. Where did you find the Hub for 100 dollars?
​​​​​​​Timken HA590255 $95 (rear wheel hub and bearing assembly) from Amazon - great reviews and this unit from Timken evidently last longer than the other brands without issues. $200 is way to much. If you find cheaper that's the correct part number. Do not pay more than $100 for the hub and bearing please

The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (07-28-2020)
Old 06-26-2018, 01:04 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Just did half this job today on my car. I was able to pull out the whole assembly from the knuckle using a slide hammer. My hub and bearing was so fused though when I went to take it apart on my press the inner race was stuck. I ordered new hubs, because I would probably end up cutting into the hub with an angle grinder.

I also took everything off including the e-brake hardware, so I could clean and grease all that stuff. Using my 1/2 inch Milwaukee with a universal swivel joint made getting those four bolts out from the hub real easy.

I also took the axles out to clean up the rust and be able to grease them. I had to use a torch on one side, because the CV axle was fused to the flange. I was quoted 440 per side by my mechanic and I did these two for about 240 bucks including the press I had to buy (12 ton).

The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (07-28-2020)
Old 10-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Great Shape with no modifications
Originally Posted by coffeysm
Just did half this job today on my car. I was able to pull out the whole assembly from the knuckle using a slide hammer. My hub and bearing was so fused though when I went to take it apart on my press the inner race was stuck. I ordered new hubs, because I would probably end up cutting into the hub with an angle grinder.

I also took everything off including the e-brake hardware, so I could clean and grease all that stuff. Using my 1/2 inch Milwaukee with a universal swivel joint made getting those four bolts out from the hub real easy.

I also took the axles out to clean up the rust and be able to grease them. I had to use a torch on one side, because the CV axle was fused to the flange. I was quoted 440 per side by my mechanic and I did these two for about 240 bucks including the press I had to buy (12 ton).

did anyone here had this happen and is it normal for all wheel bearings?

Old 10-24-2018, 06:36 AM
Coupe 5AT base
Mechanic in/near New Market MD

I just purchased an 05 coupe and I’d like to find a mechanic in Maryland who can do this job. I live in New Market but I will travel anywhere within an hour. Shop prices are are so high and it’d be great to find a local mechanic.

Thanks,
Brennan

Old 10-24-2018, 08:35 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Brennan Wallman
I just purchased an 05 coupe and I’d like to find a mechanic in Maryland who can do this job. I live in New Market but I will travel anywhere within an hour. Shop prices are are so high and it’d be great to find a local mechanic.

Thanks,
Brennan
I'm just up the road in Urbana. Hill's Garage is the most highly recommended shop in the area.
If they're too far for you, Auto Clinic International in Frederick is the only local shop I trust.
​​​​

Old 12-16-2019, 09:33 AM
G35 infiniti coupe
Shaft

Originally Posted by LElzie
First off, I would like to thank you for such a detailed post on how to perform this work.

I have had this clicking for months and it was beginning to drive me crazy. I called the dealer yesterday and they quoted me 300 bucks for the job. I went and purchased 45 dollars worth of parts and what not that I did not already have, rolled up my sleeve, printed this post along with owners manual on the axle and got to it.

I was skeptical about this fixing my problem, but after greasing up the axle and putting everything back together, I went for a brisk drive to hear only the sounds of my Rev-Up Engine and Injen intake sucking in the cool evening air. It was music to my ears. No more clicking. All the conditions that previously generated the problem have gone. So I will keep a listen out for it over the next few weeks\months and see how it goes.

You saved me 250 bucks and MAN It is satisfying to know that I did it and have had success.

Sorry for the ramble, but I am pumped. Thanks again.
How long did it take to take the shaft off