I'll post up a review of H&R Coilovers since no one else seems to care...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 02:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll post up a review of H&R Coilovers since no one else seems to care...

I bought a set of H&R coilovers for $850 shipped to Puerto Rico which is cheaper than pretty much any other coilover set I could find so I was a little weary but H&R is a good company so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Upon opening the box I see that the components all looked great and that I would be needing my stock upper mounts, which I think most "cheap" coilovers use as well. I also realized that the shocks are STIFF AS HELL! I even thought at first that it was bent cause I couldn't barely budge it against the floor but they all were just as stiff. I was now even more weary cause I immediately thought my car was going to ride like a tank but whatever...I installed them.

To my surprise, the car absorbes bumps MUCH better than stock. Every somewhat large bump would make a "BANG" noise with the stock setup but these just lightly "THUMP". The ride is MUCH stiffer though to the point where the car pretty much moves with the smaller bumps on the road as if it had no suspension...LOL.

Right now I have it far too low, which looks awesome, and it scrapes pretty bad over my driveway so I'm going to have to raise it at least .5 inches. Maybe it'll get smoother since I think it's riding on the bumps stops ( the rear is only 1/4" from it's lowest setting ).

All in all, I'm VERY happy with the setup...car feels better than my previous sedan did with Tokico D-specs and Tanabe GF210's and I only hope that raising it a little will make it even better.

I'll take pics asap, it's too dark outside to take them now.

PS. I also added 15mm spacers in front and 20mm spacers out back...I'm so happy I almost pee'd on myself...it looks PERFECT!

Old 09-12-2009, 11:10 PM
wow, no one cares I guess...LOL.

Anyways, I raised the car 1/2" in front and 1/4" out back ( the rear is still 1/4" higher than the front ) and now it doesn't scrap my driveway.

Car is very stiff ( I guess due to the super stiff shocks ) but still less harsh than even the oem setup.

Let's see how it settles.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:45 AM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Thanks, i was wondering how they are.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, I care! I've been interested in these given their price point and appreciate your input on them.

Just to clarify, you believe that the H&Rs overall increase your perception of the road surface (i.e. you feel every dip and bump in the road), but the car hits large bumps and gaps with less jarring? Also, what size wheels are you riding on?

Old 09-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up. Im ordering coilovers for the X soon.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by bjquinnIUmed
yeah, I care! I've been interested in these given their price point and appreciate your input on them.

Just to clarify, you believe that the H&Rs overall increase your perception of the road surface (i.e. you feel every dip and bump in the road), but the car hits large bumps and gaps with less jarring? Also, what size wheels are you riding on?
That's about right. Roads down here are really screwed up ( I mean, seriously screwed up ) so I might have more issues that most people. The car conformes to road irregularities so it feels more tossed around by bumps. Larger bumps are absorbed pretty well and thus it doesn't feel like it CRASHES into them like the stock shocks.

I'm riding on oem 18's with 225/45 tires on front and 245/40 tires on back instead of 245/45.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Here are some pics I took today:

I'm going to lower the front 1/4" today to get a slight rake look.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
Nice info to know, I've been looking at a set but I can't decide between these and the buddy club coilovers.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:04 AM
UPDATE:

It's been over a week and they feel GREAT! I removed the rear bumpstop which the reason why my car was riding so stiff ( the car was riding on the bump stop and pretty much had no rear suspension travel ). It has yet to bottom out but I want to put some kind of a bump stop.

Anyways...even my girlfriend says they feel good and she hated my G-sedan.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
nice i was interested in how they are. do they have adjustable dampening??

Old 09-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Xet
nice i was interested in how they are. do they have adjustable dampening??
No, just height but them being monotubes makes them a bit on the stiffer side while still being able to absorb bumps as if they were on the soft side....kind of the best of both worlds.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:15 PM
How did the install go? Did you have to re-use any of the stock strut components?

Old 09-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by bjquinnIUmed
How did the install go? Did you have to re-use any of the stock strut components?
The install was easy if I don't take into consideration the some bolts that were siezed and I literally bent a break bar trying to loosen them. I reused the strut mounts.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Damn I wish I didn't sell mine, you wouldnt suggest these for track use would you?.

Nice write-up.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by T MoRG x
Damn I wish I didn't sell mine, you wouldnt suggest these for track use would you?.

Nice write-up.
I really wouldn't know...I don't track my car. The car feels much more stable and all but I really don't corner it hard.

Why did you sell yours?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'll post up a review of H&R Coilovers since no one else seems to care...