Cross drilled/vented discs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross drilled/vented discs

Can anyone recommend cross drilled/vented disc rotors for a 2004 6MT? My car came stock with rear vented discs but since I have to replace my fronts soon, I was thinking about having those cross-drilled/vented as well. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks...

Old 01-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Yes, I don't recomend cross drilled discs. Slotted, yes. Heres why:

Yes, that's my car. It's a back rotor from a StopTech Stage 2 kit.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Ouch!!!! Did anyone else experienced the same problem?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 AM
slotted no problems :]

Old 01-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
i had rotora slotted rotors with hawk hps pads on all 4 corners and they weren't a very good combination. The braking wasn't as good as stock pads and rotors.

Since then i have switched to OEM front rotors with Project Mu NS and for the rears i still have the rotoras slotted rotors with Project Mu NS. With that combination my brakes squeak a lot. There is also a grinding noise when im trying to make a U-turn or close to a 90 degree angle turn.

On my next brake service. I plan on resurfacing all 4 rotors and still debating whether go to back to stock pads and deal with the constant brake dust or choose another brand.

I hope some of my info help with the different combination of pads and rotors.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:35 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I tried a set of DBA slotted rotors (granted they were used) paired with Hawk HPS pads. The rotors gave off a lot of noise and vibration and no, they weren't warped. I replaced the rotors with a new set of Centric blanks and am now very happy with the final result. Absolutely no noise, very little dust, and good stopping power. Not grabby at all, requires steady pressure on the pedal.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
I have been running Centric premium blanks up front on my Brembo-equipped 6MT and they are great, especially for the price. Feel and run true just like OEM for about 1/5 the price. You can also get them cryo-treated, apparently, from Tire Rack. I think Stoptech has a slotted version of them also.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:50 PM
FYI, StopTech is OWNED by Centric. When I ordered the StopTech Stage 2 kit, it came with Centric rotors. They, rusted, they cracked, they sucked. However, I LOVED the Hawk HPS pads.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Yes, I know Stoptech is owned by Centric, but I wonder if the kit you got from Stoptech was the e-coated Centric rotors, because so far mine have been rust-free, smooth and feel just like OEM. Admittedly they are less than a year old and I wouldn't expect a blank rotor to crack, but so far I'm pleased. I guess the big part of the problem was the x-drilling on yours, though I'm amazed that it happened on the rears and not the fronts.

Had Hawk HPS on my prior car, a 300ZX and hated them. Decent fade resistance, but stopping power was weak and cold bite, especially in the rain, was downright scary. Though I do live in a colder climate, obviously.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Samster
i had rotora slotted rotors with hawk hps pads on all 4 corners and they weren't a very good combination. The braking wasn't as good as stock pads and rotors.

Since then i have switched to OEM front rotors with Project Mu NS and for the rears i still have the rotoras slotted rotors with Project Mu NS. With that combination my brakes squeak a lot. There is also a grinding noise when im trying to make a U-turn or close to a 90 degree angle turn.

On my next brake service. I plan on resurfacing all 4 rotors and still debating whether go to back to stock pads and deal with the constant brake dust or choose another brand.

I hope some of my info help with the different combination of pads and rotors.
Can't speak for your rotors, but Hawks are notorious for their sh!tty bite. The reason most people get them is b/c they are low dust.

As Tex said: slotted - yes; drilled - no. They say drilled rotors help with cooling, but their real purpose is to save weight as the sacrifice of...well, you saw the pic Tex posted.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
EBC makes a 1pc rotor for both std and Brembo brakes that is slotted and dimpled instead of drilled. No fear of cracking and have the look of drilled. Good prices from Tire Rack

Old 01-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Yes, I know Stoptech is owned by Centric, but I wonder if the kit you got from Stoptech was the e-coated Centric rotors, because so far mine have been rust-free, smooth and feel just like OEM. Admittedly they are less than a year old and I wouldn't expect a blank rotor to crack, but so far I'm pleased. I guess the big part of the problem was the x-drilling on yours, though I'm amazed that it happened on the rears and not the fronts.

Had Hawk HPS on my prior car, a 300ZX and hated them. Decent fade resistance, but stopping power was weak and cold bite, especially in the rain, was downright scary. Though I do live in a colder climate, obviously.
I just ran the Raging Bull Texas Stampede this weekend. Friday was all in the rain and I had the exact problem you discribed. What pads would you recomend? I do need to replace them now.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW I've had crossdrilled rotors on every single car I've ever owned ( about 15 cars ) and I have never had one crack or even warp...Not even on my 400+whp GTI ( and stopping that car wasn't easy on the rotors..lol ). I've had Hawk pads before and hated them because they stopped great when hot but when cold they sucked.

I plan on going with crossdrilled rotors with my new 05-07 brake setup and plan on running oem pads with it.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Texasscout
I just ran the Raging Bull Texas Stampede this weekend. Friday was all in the rain and I had the exact problem you discribed. What pads would you recomend? I do need to replace them now.
Bill, I recommend Carbotechs. Great for the type of driving we do. Going to work on getting some for the new ride myself.

http://www.ctbrakes.com/

Old 01-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Bill, I recommend Carbotechs. Great for the type of driving we do. Going to work on getting some for the new ride myself.

http://www.ctbrakes.com/
Yeah, you NEED a little brake work....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cross drilled/vented discs