Pirates coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:53 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow nobody else had that issue? You should compare your install with someone step by step and figure out what's missing

Old 12-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VincenzG35
Wow nobody else had that issue? You should compare your install with someone step by step and figure out what's missing
I kind of did that. It seems that the only difference from other installs is that my spring is very. Lose to the two nuts at the upper pillow mount. I can't fit a socket over it without lowering the spring. I was wondering that the spring is rubbing against the nut. But if this was the case 1. I would get the noise on both sides of the car and 2. I would see marks on the spring and nut from rubbing. And it is not the case...

Racingfirst will send me another shock. Hoping it will help

Old 12-02-2011, 09:54 AM
I kind of did that. It seems that the only difference from other installs is that my spring is very close to the two nuts at the upper pillow mount. I can't fit a socket over it without lowering the spring. I was wondering that the spring is rubbing against the nut. But if this was the case 1. I would get the noise on both sides of the car and 2. I would see marks on the spring and nut from rubbing. And it is not the case...

Racingfirst will send me another shock. Hoping it will help

Old 12-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone know which kind of coilover dampener extenders work for this coilover? stance or BC?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gfanatic
Does anyone know which kind of coilover dampener extenders work for this coilover? stance or BC?
Ditto,I am gonna find out and post if no one doesnt know yet... I was thinking the stance ones would work...

On a sidenote, I got my set today. It was shipped on the 6th so the turnaorund is quick for a Int'l shipment. I am converting to true coilover now and installing my setup tomorrow...got it from racingfirst they have good customer service.

I also think the housings can be used with different strut inserts. I am going to compare to my koni 8611 race inserts I have.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:10 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
coilovers are on(True setup) and it feels great, I had the sport suspenion and I loved it!!! This in comparison feels jsut as good "comfy" but a tad bit stiffer on how I set it up. Settings are; front 7 clicks from full stiff and rears are half way= 9 clicks from full stiff...

Old 12-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Glad your enjoying them. Had a buddy get some of these from topspeed unlike most of us and he still had the noise issue from his right rear coilover...but he says its gone away now(a month after install) as did mine but over some imperfections in road I have a slight noiuse but nowhere near how it was when first installed. =) seems like more and more people have been jumping to buy these pirates!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
LISTEN UP LOL to anyone using these in TRUE form and doesnt need the spring bucket parts that come with the mdu coilovers..who is willing to sell me the parts? my buddy needs them for his that came in true form without the spring bucket parts so he can go lower. thanks!!

PM ME!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Hey toro or anyone else that can ...I'm having these installed tomorrow and I need to ask some questions if anyone can maybe PM me ill shoot you a text or something I'd really appreciate it ill post my questions if anyone. Feel free to help my car is an 03 sedan with sport tuned

I wanna drop it like the G/Z combo I can't find the thread that has those drop heights posted so I need those measurements
Next I wanna do this in true coilover set up so that means the. Springs for the rear have to be attached to the strut and not seperated like the OEM way correct?
And is there anything extra I should know to tell the guy putting them in ? I knoe I've been a member for a while and this is a little noobish I do apologize I just really need a little help thank you to everyone who answers!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:51 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^ G/Z combo is 1" lower in the front and 1/2" in the back.... but trust me on this one... go with at least 1-1/2" front and 1" rear.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:54 AM
How will it affect camber?

Old 01-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Vin... if you have a coupe the maximum / full length "pirate" coilover shock body when screwed all the way"out" is already 1/2" shorter than your stock shock length as measured from the center of the upper to center of the lower thru bolts that mount it in the car.
If you have a sedan the full length pirate is already 1" shorter than your stock shock.
Your installer should lay your stock shock down on a level surface next to the pirate coilover. At full pirate extension it will already be shorter than stock by the above dimensions.
I'm guessing you have a coupe. From that coupe shock set up on the bench or floor your installer can screw the shock body in to the clevis body dimensions like NFSP suggests an additional 1" for fronts and a 1/2" for rears.
Figure on a "settling drop" of the suspension parts as an additional 5/16" over time.
This is a safe start for a suspension drop not knowing your how flush are your tire sizes and wheel offsets to the fender lips. Coupes have more fender width clearance than sedans by about 3/8" each side.
Camber changes resulting from this drop, which is moderate, is more negative loading the inside edges on the tires. Your alignment shop can adjust and advise you during their work how adjustments are progressing. I think you will hear alignment will be corrected closely to the specified range for a G coupe and meet the specs for a Z. I hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
datbeans (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Gentlemen, my problem is fixed. And it was the most obvious problem. Nut that I put on the bolt that goes through the bottom fork of the shock was not the right size. It was moving and rubbing against the fork. Sound then passed through the body of the shock and came out at the top. Thanks to my friend the problem is resolved...I am very happy

Old 01-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Toro I have the sedan and I went to install them and the bushing in the rear spindel was shot so I gotta but two rear spindells. And Lox awesome on finding a fix to that I'm sure someone is praising you right now lol also a good idea for troubleshooting good contribution

Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone know if any type of coilover extenders would work with these coilovers??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pirates coilovers