G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-suspension-164/)
-   -   Have you done brake pads? (https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-suspension/443664-have-you-done-brake-pads.html)

aaron3719 09-05-2014 11:21 AM

Have you done brake pads?

anyone ever replaced pads on their ride? do you really have to cut the rotor? can you just get the pads and simply replace them without doing anything else?

rsingerG35 09-05-2014 11:29 AM

Dude I have never heard of anyone replacing their own brake pads. Yes, anytime the pads are replaced you should resurface (if thickness allows) or replace the rotors. You will need lube and some brake cleaner. I would suggest using the FSM to guide you if its your first time.

Urbanengineer 09-05-2014 11:30 AM

You should, otherwise you risk warping the rotors or
Having uneven brake wear.

saywat? 09-05-2014 04:34 PM

I jus change the whole thing. fak resurfacing.

Texasscout 09-05-2014 05:06 PM

A lot of rotors today don't have enough "meat" on them to resurface unless the wear is minimal. I have don't mine several times, some because I needed to and some because I wanted to try a new pad. I tried EBC green stuff (great bite, eats rotors), Hawk street pads (hated them, It was like NO brakes when it was wet and cold, ate rotors like candy) and I finally went back to stock. They work the best in overall driving.

saywat? 09-05-2014 05:14 PM

^should try stop tech. so far jus like oem

Hatchman 09-05-2014 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by aaron3719 (Post 6937170)
anyone ever replaced pads on their ride? do you really have to cut the rotor? can you just get the pads and simply replace them without doing anything else?

Yes, I've replaced my own pads on hundreds of rides, including the G35,

No, it depends.

Yes, you can just replace the pads if the rotor is good shape.

Hatchman 09-05-2014 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by rsingerG35 (Post 6937171)
Dude I have never heard of anyone replacing their own brake pads. Yes, anytime the pads are replaced you should resurface (if thickness allows) or replace the rotors. You will need lube and some brake cleaner. I would suggest using the FSM to guide you if its your first time.

Strange, I have heard of hundreds of people replacing their own pads.
You should resurface if it is needed.
You will need some brake lube to keep the brakes from squealing, and brake cleaner to clean up the old brake dust.
FSM is good, but it's really easy.

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer (Post 6937172)
You should, otherwise you risk warping the rotors or
Having uneven brake wear.

If the rotors are already warped, definitely replace them.
If you feel pulsing when you stop, replace them.
If you see big grooves in the rotors, replace them.
If they have already been turned, replace them.

Originally Posted by saywat? (Post 6937278)
I jus change the whole thing. fak resurfacing.

I actually agree, replace the pads and rotors. Nice.

Originally Posted by Texasscout (Post 6937283)
A lot of rotors today don't have enough "meat" on them to resurface unless the wear is minimal. I have don't mine several times, some because I needed to and some because I wanted to try a new pad. I tried EBC green stuff (great bite, eats rotors), Hawk street pads (hated them, It was like NO brakes when it was wet and cold, ate rotors like candy) and I finally went back to stock. They work the best in overall driving.

True, best to just get some new Stoptechs.

Which Hawk pads? HP? HPS? Ceramic? I've used all and have never seen a Hawk eat a rotor... your mileage may vary.

Originally Posted by saywat? (Post 6937285)

Stoptech is awesome and stops just like OEM. And it looks better than stock with the center hats painted black.

Texasscout 09-05-2014 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by saywat? (Post 6937285)

I tried. laptop tech pads and rotors the rotors cracked the pads were worthless

ScraggleRock 09-05-2014 07:05 PM

I never change breakes. I've had 6 vehicles in the last 12 years and changed breaks on one.. Hahaha see, stoppin ain't my thang..

I've changed plenty of women's tho...girls drive like damn animals.

Hatchman 09-05-2014 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Texasscout (Post 6937298)
I tried. laptop tech pads and rotors the rotors cracked the pads were worthless

What kind of rotors? What kind of pads? What were the driving conditions? Cracked after how many miles? Where did you get them? Who installed them? How many miles before they cracked? Where they new or used? What compound was the brake pad?

Texasscout 09-05-2014 07:42 PM

Look at my sig (hasn't changed in many years due to dropping my worthless premium membership) the rotors cracked, and the pads scored the rotors.

saywat? 09-05-2014 11:34 PM

Idk,man . I did stop tech pads n centric/stop tech slotted rotors front. Love it. Rears are still stock. It'll be awhile till then

Texasscout 09-06-2014 12:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is an example of Stoptech Stage 2 brakes

Attachment 187200

Attachment 187201

saywat? 09-06-2014 02:19 PM

Maybe that's just the risk with drilled rotors. Never been a fan,of drilled rotors.