Squeak after G35 strut replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snic09
Uh, did you read the thread? Several people report success with Monroe mounts, including me. Still squeak-free two years later.
That's what I wanted to know, thanks. I read ALL the threads, but wanted to be sure the Monroe's were holding up, since this will be the third time I have replaced the mounts.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Replaced the strut mounts this weekend with Monroe's. At first the squeek was gone. Then I went for a long drive and it's back. All you have to do is push down on the fender and you will hear it. The squuek went away for a while, but I heard it for about the last half hour I was driving. Not sure what to try next. I have already replaced all the control arms and sway links, plus struts and of course strut mounts.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:14 PM
Did you guys feel ride got better ( more gentle and less harsh) over bumps due to new mounts, kyb or Monroe doesn't matter?

Old 07-23-2017, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I always use grease as indicated where indicated. Sounds like something is rubbing where it shouldn't be. Grease it with a permanent type grease!

Old 08-23-2017, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have fresh Unity complete front strut assemblies with springs on my 04 coupe, and the left one at least squeaks like a tree full of burning squirrels once the engine bay warms up. I'm going to order the Monroe mounts and hope that fixes it. I take it Unity cloned the KYB setup for their units, so that is likely to be problem for those as well. Otherwise they perform just fine for stock replacements.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:31 PM
I corrected my strut mount squeaks this weekend after six months of suffering. I'll chip in my thoughts here for anyone they may help...

1. Moog strut mounts are made of hard rubber and they will squeak just like the KYB mounts that everyone complains about. I think it is either the hard rubber or the metal rubbing between the strut nut and strut mount (someone said they were successful with a felt washer here).i

2. Going back to the old, used stock strut mounts fixed all my problems. The ride softened and quietened noticeably.

3. After doing the struts twice, I learned some tips through research and error.
  • install the spring compressors while the struts are on the car.
  • be careful to keep the compressors out of the way of removing the upper control arm bolts (gives easier access to remove and lets you check bushings)
  • remove the strut bolt on the lower control arm, then endlink connection, then inner bushing bolt; strut is ready to drop out now
  • be careful if using a ratcheting wrench on the spring compressors. It could get bound and only turn to make the problem worse (ask me how I know)
  • when struts are ready to reinstall, put them on lower control arm first, install endlink, then large inner arm bolt. Align mounts and check that coils are bedded correctly. Torque all lower suspension pieces before lowering to ground.
  • put car on the ground to tighten strut mount nuts and use air gun to cinch down strut piston nut
Hopefully your squeak is gone. I cant tell you how relaxing it is not to hear the suspension chirp multiple times a minute. The silent suspension lets you enjoy the rattles and creaks of the shifter plate, driver's window bolts, rear shelf deck, poor rear door seals, dome light housing, seat frame, and more.

Last edited by fisherking; 09-06-2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-26-2017, 01:12 PM
I finally got my squeaks to go away. The issue I had is that the shop that replaced my front shock installed the left on the right and the right on the left. After taking the struts off my self I noticed the abs sensor cable was very tight once I clipped in on to the strut. After looking at the part numbers on the shocks, I realized they put them on backwards. Once I corrected this the squeaks went away. The car has been driving great.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:55 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Dohh!

Old 10-23-2017, 05:10 PM
As the weather has gotten colder in Massachusetts in the mornings I hear a suspension squeak. Not sure yet what it is, but it sure sounds like the strut mounts again.I'm going to lubricate the mounts and the upper control arm bushings.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:46 PM
I have finally solved my squeaking suspension. It was the bushing on the radius arm in the front suspension. They looked OK, but after I removed them you could see a crack in the rubber. When I put a large screw driver through the center of the bushing and wiggled it around I could hear the squeak.

Also, for anyone who is planning on replacing their radius arms, the curved arms in the front suspension, they do not come with the cone shaped bushing for the ball joint. You will need to pull them off your old arms or buy new ones. I was able to heat up and then squirt water on the old arms and the bushings came off.