Tein Flex Z coilovers for a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 05:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tein Flex Z coilovers for a daily driver?

What up, I was hoping to get some insight on this coilover. I have Megan lowering springs currently installed and driving the G in Los Angeles hasn’t been exactly fun. The ride is harsh especially over bumps (which is basically every street here) and I’m scraping everywhere from being too low so an upgrade is a must.

1. I daily drive the G and I don’t ever track it. I’m mainly looking for a slightly stiffer ride over stock while still maintaining comfort.

2. Can’t spend over $800

3. Must be at least height adjustable, would like dampening adjustability too so I can change the stiffness and hit some canyons on the weekend.

Is the Tein Flex Z a good fit for me? What is your experience with them? I’m worried about it being to stiff after reading that the spring rates are 672/560. Was also looking at the Tein Basis Z, any opinions on those for my needs? Any help is appreciated thank you!

Here are the coilovers I’m talking about.
https://www.redline360.com/tein-flex...35-VSP26-CUAS3

Old 11-14-2017, 09:25 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Mine are 448/504 and that's as harsh as I personally want for a daily driver on the highway. It's still smooth but firm.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I personally have the Basis Z and in my opinion it's perfect for street/canyon driving. at $485 it just can't be beat. It soft enough to daily, only slightly more aggressively sprung than the OEM Sport suspension, yet is stiff enough to reduce body movement and improve car control, basis Z comes with 9kg/mm springs F & R.

I'm not sure what kind of tires you are on, but if it is anything in the Max Summer Performance category or above (per tirerack's grading system), I say shell out the extra $300 and get the Flex Z. You don't want to run too stiff of a suspension without having the tires to back it up.

Flex Z is a good choice, there's no need to look at much else with that $800 budget. Every other taiwanese pick your color suspension are overdamped and stiff as hell.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Mine are 448/504 and that's as harsh as I personally want for a daily driver on the highway. It's still smooth but firm.
Which coilover is that on?

Originally Posted by calvinc
I personally have the Basis Z and in my opinion it's perfect for street/canyon driving. at $485 it just can't be beat. It soft enough to daily, only slightly more aggressively sprung than the OEM Sport suspension, yet is stiff enough to reduce body movement and improve car control, basis Z comes with 9kg/mm springs F & R.

I'm not sure what kind of tires you are on, but if it is anything in the Max Summer Performance category or above (per tirerack's grading system), I say shell out the extra $300 and get the Flex Z. You don't want to run too stiff of a suspension without having the tires to back it up.

Flex Z is a good choice, there's no need to look at much else with that $800 budget. Every other taiwanese pick your color suspension are overdamped and stiff as hell.
The basis sound great! I’m currently running Hancook V12 evo 2’s, I don’t know too much about tires so hopefully I’m working with something good. Primarily my main concern is the suspension being too stiff. I really can’t take the beating anymore lol the potholes and rough road are getting out of hand in Los Angeles. I would love to run the Flex Z but do you think it will be too stiff even on its softest setting?

Old 11-14-2017, 03:09 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I'm not running coilovers, just throwing out the specs on my springs as a comparison against what you listed in the first post. Personally I think those would be WAY too stiff, which is needed if you're going with a huge drop but not necessary if only dropping a little.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I'm not running coilovers, just throwing out the specs on my springs as a comparison against what you listed in the first post. Personally I think those would be WAY too stiff, which is needed if you're going with a huge drop but not necessary if only dropping a little.
ah ok, yea I kinda feel the same about it being too stiff. I’m actually going to raise the car slightly since I do scrape coming in and out of my driveway. So maybe the Basis Z is for me. Anyone out there with experience on the Flex Z before I make my final desicion would be dope!

Old 11-14-2017, 06:31 PM
Pulled the trigger on the Basis Z's. I really want ride comfort back haha and considering these will be on my daily driver I feel like these will be perfect for me. I got them for $444 shipped to my door which is almost half of what the Flex Z would have been so I feel like I'll be happy regardless. Thanks for all your help guys!

Old 11-14-2017, 07:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Klutes
Pulled the trigger on the Basis Z's. I really want ride comfort back haha and considering these will be on my daily driver I feel like these will be perfect for me. I got them for $444 shipped to my door which is almost half of what the Flex Z would have been so I feel like I'll be happy regardless. Thanks for all your help guys!
V12's are great street tires, just don't take them to the track because they get greasy very fast. Good tread life and plenty of grip for the money. You'll be happy with the Basis Z for your purposes. Make sure you get the proper alignment parts as well to get your alignment back to OE specs. It can be as simple as 2 sets of SPC bolts, or you may need to go all out on camber arms front and back depending on how much you drop your car. Also keep in mind that TOE chews through tires, not camber.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by calvinc
V12's are great street tires, just don't take them to the track because they get greasy very fast. Good tread life and plenty of grip for the money. You'll be happy with the Basis Z for your purposes. Make sure you get the proper alignment parts as well to get your alignment back to OE specs. It can be as simple as 2 sets of SPC bolts, or you may need to go all out on camber arms front and back depending on how much you drop your car. Also keep in mind that TOE chews through tires, not camber.
Good to hear! Already a step ahead, I installed both front and rear camber kits when I put springs on. I’ll be getting another alignment after I get the drop right and the springs settle. Thanks for the tips!

Old 01-03-2018, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Klutes how has it been on the Basis Z's? any feedback would be appreciated.
thanks.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by G35 Drummer
Klutes how has it been on the Basis Z's? any feedback would be appreciated.
thanks.
For $444 they’re not bad man. They ride a lot smoother than lowering coils with excel-g’s, especially over pot holes and bumps. I used to get that crashing feeling on the lowering coils, that’s been eliminated with these. I haven’t had any problems with them what so ever. They’re decent in the corners, it feels a little better than the sport suspension tbh not a massive difference but definitely noticeable. If you’re looking for something a bit stiffer and lower for a daily driver these aren’t a bad choice at all.

The following users liked this post:
G35 Drummer (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For $444 they’re not bad man. They ride a lot smoother than lowering coils with excel-g’s, especially over pot holes and bumps. I used to get that crashing feeling on the lowering coils, that’s been eliminated with these. I haven’t had any problems with them what so ever. They’re decent in the corners, it feels a little better than the sport suspension tbh not a massive difference but definitely noticeable. If you’re looking for something a bit stiffer and lower for a daily driver these aren’t a bad choice at all.
Thanks for the feedback... when the weather gets better i'll pick up a set for myself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.