G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-suspension-164/)
-   -   Brembo brake pads? (https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-suspension/463203-brembo-brake-pads.html)

CokeZero 04-06-2018 07:59 PM

Brembo brake pads?

Never had a car with brembos until now. Are all the pads universal? Are they car specific? basically what pads should I buy to replace mine?

cleric670 04-06-2018 10:30 PM

The pads are specific for 2003-2004 G35 equipped with brembo brakes. Pads and rotors are different than all other G's, there was 3 different options I think.

1. Brembo equipped
2. 2003-2004 non-brembo
3. 2005-2007

CokeZero 04-07-2018 12:25 AM

No, I mean like other makes of cars are the brembos on the g35 the same as like vette or hellcat? Example if someone pulled the pads out of their hellcat brembos would they go in mine? Or If I search for brembo pads are there just one size? or are there different size calipers per application?

ScraggleRock 04-07-2018 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by CokeZero (Post 7135671)
No, I mean like other makes of cars are the brembos on the g35 the same as like vette or hellcat? Example if someone pulled the pads out of their hellcat brembos would they go in mine? Or If I search for brembo pads are there just one size? or are there different size calipers per application?

Nnnoooo, they're all different. Ours are actually one of the earlier Brembo (not early for brembo as a brand; rather as stock equipment on a car) options. You must buy the G35/350z Brembo pads.

Ours in comparison are fairly small compared to a Vette or hellcat.

Urbanengineer 04-07-2018 11:11 AM

These calipers do have a part number that could theoretically be installed on any car, with major modifications. But no, you need to order 03-05 Sport package (Brembo) brake pads.

CokeZero 04-07-2018 01:35 PM

Copy that, thanks guys.

ScraggleRock 04-08-2018 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer (Post 7135690)
These calipers do have a part number that could theoretically be installed on any car, with major modifications. But no, you need to order 03-04 Sport package (Brembo) brake pads.

Ftfy

Blue Dream 04-08-2018 06:04 PM

lol, I was going to make a comment on it this morning and ran out of time.

Urbanengineer 04-08-2018 11:28 PM

Yes... thx.

MooseLucifer 04-09-2018 12:41 PM

The FMSI pad shapes for our Brembos are D960 and D961 F/R respectively.

CokeZero 04-15-2018 01:45 PM

So while doing my wheel bearings, I noticed that I'm in dire need of new brake pads for my brembos. I've heard that the best way to go is for ceramics? Any recommendation on brands or types? Need to look into getting them asap.

FreshLikeAG 04-15-2018 08:47 PM

Dont have brembos but just from being on here you see a lot of peop!e talk about hawk hps but complain about the cold bite they have. Any brake pad is going to perform best warm. Project mu are popular but pricey. Someone recently put on stoptech street peerformance pads and were happy with them over the akebonos

gary c 04-15-2018 10:48 PM

You can go to our Marketplace under Vendor Classified then brakes and find a vendor selling HAWK HPS brake pads that they make for Brembo brakes. I've been using those pads for 50K+ miles without issues and very little brake dust!
Gary

G35fromPA 04-16-2018 10:56 AM

When I had my '04 G coupe, I ran Project Mu NS/NS400 pads and loved them. Long lasting, good solid cold bite like OEM, and not crazy expensive. Hawk HPS pads do not bite well on initial stops in cold/rain.

FreshLikeAG 04-16-2018 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by G35fromPA (Post 7136543)
When I had my '04 G coupe, I ran Project Mu NS/NS400 pads and loved them. Long lasting, good solid cold bite like OEM, and not crazy expensive. Hawk HPS pads do not bite well on initial stops in cold/rain.

$150 isn't expensive for pads? That's just for the fronts. I can understand if you track the car but for a daily driver that's an expensive brake pad imo. Maybe they used to be cheaper. Then again, you can't put a price on safety

G35fromPA 04-16-2018 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG (Post 7136545)
$150 isn't expensive for pads? That's just for the fronts. I can understand if you track the car but for a daily driver that's an expensive brake pad imo. Maybe they used to be cheaper. Then again, you can't put a price on safety

Do a little Googling and you can find them for a good bit less. For example, they are $120 on TH Motorsports right now.

And yes I suppose if you don't drive the car hard then you can go cheaper, but with Brembos made for the track, what's the point of going cheap? Also, I tend not to skimp on brakes or tires.

FreshLikeAG 04-16-2018 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by G35fromPA (Post 7136547)
Do a little Googling and you can find them for a good bit less. For example, they are $120 on TH Motorsports right now.

And yes I suppose if you don't drive the car hard then you can go cheaper, but with Brembos made for the track, what's the point of going cheap? Also, I tend not to skimp on brakes or tires.

The 05+ brakes perform just as well as the brembos. They certainly don't look as nice, but you're not giving up any performance. They stopped the brembo line because customers were complaining about brake dust and cost

G35fromPA 04-16-2018 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG (Post 7136552)
The 05+ brakes perform just as well as the brembos. They certainly don't look as nice, but you're not giving up any performance. They stopped the brembo line because customers were complaining about brake dust and cost

On the street in everyday conditions and a single stop, that's true, but the Brembo discs are larger diameter and thicker than those on the '05+, so they stand up better to heat on the track and in hard driving.

And I'm well aware of why Infiniti did away with the Brembos. But having owned my '04 from new, I never had any issues with noise or dust (dust is part of the equation for high performance braking), and the cost wasn't reallya big issue 2 years after because of the aftermarket. Centric makes a great set of blanks for the Brembos that are not expensive.

Urbanengineer 04-16-2018 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
Dont have brembos but just from being on here you see a lot of peop!e talk about hawk hps but complain about the cold bite they have. Any brake pad is going to perform best warm. Project mu are popular but pricey. Someone recently put on stoptech street peerformance pads and were happy with them over the akebonos

My pads were for the 05+ sport brakes which are non-Brembo. They make a compound for Brembo and I would buy those in a heartbeat if I wanted great street pads on a budget.

OP, if you don't want dust but sacrifice performance go ceramic. If you want performance metallic is where it's at.

HAWK is a compromise because it's a ceramic and can only really work when warm. SQUEEAAKKKKK When cold lol.

G35fromPA 04-16-2018 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer (Post 7136558)
My pads were for the 05+ sport brakes which are non-Brembo. They make a compound for Brembo and I would buy those in a heartbeat if I wanted great street pads on a budget.

OP, if you don't want dust but sacrifice performance go ceramic. If you want performance metallic is where it's at.

HAWK is a compromise because it's a ceramic and can only really work when warm. SQUEEAAKKKKK When cold lol.

Those StopTech Street Performance do look appealing and I probably would have given them a try if I had kept my G.

ScraggleRock 04-16-2018 06:09 PM

I know I'm gonna catch a lot of hate here, but y'all dumb af if yer spending $150 on a set of pads if your car doesn't see track time. The highest end duralast (gold) pads for Brembos are $40/fronts. I promise you'll be able to stop at that light yer pulling up to.

G35fromPA 04-16-2018 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by ScraggleRock (Post 7136608)
I know I'm gonna catch a lot of hate here, but y'all dumb af if yer spending $150 on a set of pads if your car doesn't see track time. The highest end duralast (gold) pads for Brembos are $40/fronts. I promise you'll be able to stop at that light yer pulling up to.

No hate. I don't disagree with you. If you're just DD'ing the car, then Duralasts are plenty fine. Just don't expect them to stand up to those times when you really want to push it or hit up the local auto-x. For me personally, I like knowing I have a large margin of error even if I'm not tracking a car. That being said, I would likely swap pads for a track day anyway, LOL.

ScraggleRock 04-16-2018 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by G35fromPA (Post 7136615)
No hate. I don't disagree with you. If you're just DD'ing the car, then Duralasts are plenty fine. Just don't expect them to stand up to those times when you really want to push it or hit up the local auto-x. For me personally, I like knowing I have a large margin of error even if I'm not tracking a car. That being said, I would likely swap pads for a track day anyway, LOL.

Brakes are for wussies anyway. Never use em. I've had front pads last 100k miles. Haha

Frankieg35 04-20-2018 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by gary c (Post 7136500)
You can go to our Marketplace under Vendor Classified then brakes and find a vendor selling HAWK HPS brake pads that they make for Brembo brakes. I've been using those pads for 50K+ miles without issues and very little brake dust!
Gary

Which ones? My hawk pads for my Brembos give off orange dust, I hate them

Urbanengineer 04-20-2018 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Frankieg35
Which ones? My hawk pads for my Brembos give off orange dust, I hate them

Stop tech sport is black dust, and stops so fast!

Frankieg35 04-22-2018 09:52 PM

I just got some Project Mu NS, I've read good things

Urbanengineer 04-23-2018 01:44 PM

I'd hope so for a $100 set of pads ;). Enjoy them.

Frankieg35 04-24-2018 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer (Post 7137288)
I'd hope so for a $100 set of pads ;). Enjoy them.

I'm a baller :icon17: