G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/buying-selling-leasing-discussion-147/)
-   -   CARFAX? - very informative video inside. (https://g35driver.com/forums/buying-selling-leasing-discussion/278673-carfax-very-informative-video-inside.html)

onebadgs400 03-24-2009 03:49 PM

CARFAX? - very informative video inside.

I'm searching for a G coupe and was told by a buddy of mine to use auto check instead of carfax. Man was he right. I have found at least 10 or so cars with damage from big to small dealers.

Then I came across this video online from a Canadian news organization called Marketplace (video link here). Its a great video and note what the carfax guy says toward the end of the video. I will defiantly be taking my next vehicle not only to a dealer for inspection but to a body shop. Carfax should be sued. Experian Auto check for life!!!

Jeff92se 03-24-2009 03:52 PM

Okay, so what were the differences inbetween autocheck and carfax???

onebadgs400 03-24-2009 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se (Post 4049795)
Okay, so what were the differences inbetween autocheck and carfax???

Did you watch the video? :7: Auto check reports FRAME DAMAGE and accidents that carfax doesn't. The lady in the video states the competitor, but doesn't really say there name but its auto check they are the only other car checking service out there.

Jeff92se 03-24-2009 03:59 PM

Not at work no. cliffs?

onebadgs400 03-24-2009 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se (Post 4049814)
Not at work no. cliffs?

Basically the reporters go to a dealer. He says his cars are clean look at the carfax. She takes the car to a police forensic officer and he immediately sees and points out car was in an accident. Then they check another car checking database (autocheck) and find the car had frame damage. They confront the dealer and admits carfax doesn't show everything and that's why they use it. They then find a guy who bought from the dealer who was shown a clean carfax. They take guys car to body shop after showing autocheck states frame damage and its confirmed. Guy is SOL. Basically car is unsafe to drive. Reporter then goes to carfax and confronts them and they basically say if its not reported they don't post it and are not liable. (guy is very chezzy) So whats the difference? AutoCheck is used by all auto auctions, they seem to actually find whats wrong with a car and update there info. Carfax says if its not reported its not there problem.

rcdash 03-24-2009 04:32 PM

THANKS for the heads up!

OMG35S 03-24-2009 05:33 PM

Good Info ...

TurTLe* 03-24-2009 07:23 PM

I have a dealership that showed me the carfax of a car that i tried to pricematch, then ran the autocheck and threw out my attempt to pricematch out.

Good thing is my car ran thru autocheck CLEAN =)

onebadgs400 03-24-2009 09:57 PM

These dealers are shady as hell!!! I was messing around on auto trader and found an 05 g35 coupe for 17.9 with 23k miles. Dealer has a clean carfax posted but I did an autocheck and found frame damage.

I emailed the dealer how he could justify the price. His reply......Don't buy it. Thanks. HELL NAW! Don't buy from World Auto in GA!!!!!

humara 03-29-2009 10:08 PM

yes, dealers are shady.
yes, carfax sucks.
these should be obvious facts to anyone buying a car.
awesome video.

threatcon07 03-30-2009 10:07 AM

Carfax is horrible. Don't ever trust it. I did a carfax on one of my old cars which was in a huge accident, police report and everything. Carfax came back clean as a whistle.

matador 04-08-2009 12:19 PM

so if autocheck finds problems, can you sue carfax for not releasing all the info?

carfax has that lemon policy or something right?

i wished i knew this before i got my car. next time i ll use autocheck

g35coupe253z 04-09-2009 08:57 AM

can any1 check this vin for me on autocheck . Would be a pleasure JNKCV54E46M718023

vhtran 04-09-2009 09:50 AM

^ LoL i'm also in the market for this M35x, would someone please help me out? JNKAY01F96M261255

Thanks in advance

mawells787 04-21-2009 11:44 AM

i dont trust any of those because they dont report everything. i brought my g to a body shop and they guy told me my front bumper was repainted or replaced , its in good condition but he said the paint has more depth than the rest of the car because aftermaket shops have better clear coating than factory. he also realized that my g with sports package should have a front lip which it doesn't which they might have not replaced when they repainted the bumper.

infg35coupe 04-28-2009 03:24 AM

not to mention autocheck is cheaper for 24.95 you can get 2 months while 19.95 u only get 1 month.

onebadgs400 06-01-2009 01:01 PM

Another video about bad car dealers and carfax in Atlanta. Our favorite carfax rep is here as well.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/19086976/detail.html

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/investigat...16/detail.html

Avoid the following dealer. Atlanta used car center both locations, Atlanta Auto Leasing, Alpha Carz, Ga Best Car deals, Ga Best Motors and few others. You need to Run Autocheck before buying these cars. Dont depend on Carfax to uncover frame damages history. These guys buy junk. If you ran an Autocheck on any vehicle they got and it came back clean that just means its not frame uni body damage. It doesn't mean it hadn't been in an accident or flood. There is always a reason why a dealer can get a car a lot cheaper than the rest. If a deal is too good to be true it probably is.

Hopefully a full disclosure law is passed in GA soon.

God Bless

OB05 10-29-2009 04:25 PM

Dang it i jus bought 1 month of carfax lol. Well carfax has a BUYBACK GUARANTEE which states they will buy the car......

CARFAX will buy this vehicle back if
you find that any of these severe problems were reported by a
Department of Motor Vehicles and were not included in this report.
SEVERE DAMAGE
Salvage/Junk
Rebuilt/Reconstructed
Dismantled
Fire/Flood/Hail

ODOMETER PROBLEMS
Exceeds Mechanical Limits
Not Actual Mileage

LEMON HISTORY
Manufacturer Buyback

lox1985 11-09-2009 11:31 PM

I was one of the guys who got burned by carfax. Bought a Jeep with clean Carfax. Hated the car and tried to sell it on ebay, well ebay told me my description does not match car history. I was like WTF...So I went into Auto check since my buddy recommended it. And found out Jeep has frame damage. I did get lucky however, some dealer accepted it as a trade because they ran a carfax on it as well :)

DEFINITELY USE AUTOCHECK

maxima302 12-20-2009 04:14 AM

Looks like ebay's new free history report program is through Autocheck. does anyone know if the purchased Autocheck report differs from the one on ebay?

jibberjabbers 12-21-2009 03:03 PM

If you guys want a heavily discounted vehicle history report, just post the car for sale on ebay, get a free report then cancel the listing. haha

dukehotty 02-12-2010 09:14 PM

The video was very helpful. I am looking to buy a G35 very soon and decided to sign up for "Autocheck" I have unlimited access for a short time if anyone would like a G35 checked out. Message me with the VIN and your email and I will try and get back to you. The forum has helped me out a lot and I am just trying to give a little back.

Bildob 02-15-2010 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by OB05 (Post 4664465)
Dang it i jus bought 1 month of carfax lol. Well carfax has a BUYBACK GUARANTEE which states they will buy the car......

CARFAX will buy this vehicle back if
you find that any of these severe problems were reported by a
Department of Motor Vehicles and were not included in this report

They will only buy the car back if you can prove that a DMV reported it. No where in there buy back guarantee do they say they will buy it back if it was reported by a police department or auction, which is where they get there info. So the only way they will ever buy it back is if YOU PROVE it was reported by a DMV.

SimpleVinCheck 03-18-2010 03:56 PM

Unlimited AutoCheck reports here, for the lowest price on the internet. Don't miss out.
This is not spam. This is a service that can help thousands of people. Don't get ripped off. Use SimpleVinCheck.com

fotodad 08-21-2010 05:16 PM

What an incredibly informative thread AND video! No more Carfax for me! Is the offer to run some VINs still available. I've got a few cars I'm considering, and the dealer offered cleaned Carfaxes on all of them. After this video, I am extremely skeptical.

Thanks,
Michael

GGGUNOT 08-21-2010 05:20 PM

i don't know if carproof is for Canada only, but whatever carfax, autocheck misses, carproof always catches

17NickG35 09-05-2010 08:14 PM

Wow, this is incredible. Thank you for providing this! Not to mention that guy that worked for Carfax in the video was a complete tool.

jcseven7 10-11-2010 09:50 PM

AutoCheck almost always includes information from more sources that Carfax does. One of the main differences is that AutoCheck includes auction information that Carfax does not. Neither will always be 100% accurate as in some cases they use different sources for their information, and these sources my not always volunteer its information in a timely manner. Some accidents can literally take years to find their way onto one of these reports. While other incidents may never be reported at all.

Keep in mind that one of your local mechanics wouldn't mind taking some money from you to do a pre-purchase inspecting of a used for you. Who better to look for signs of previous repair work than the guys that do those repairs for a living, am I right?

bryman10 05-15-2011 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by jcseven7 (Post 5408793)
AutoCheck almost always includes information from more sources that Carfax does. One of the main differences is that AutoCheck includes auction information that Carfax does not. Neither will always be 100% accurate as in some cases they use different sources for their information, and these sources my not always volunteer its information in a timely manner. Some accidents can literally take years to find their way onto one of these reports. While other incidents may never be reported at all.

Keep in mind that one of your local mechanics wouldn't mind taking some money from you to do a pre-purchase inspecting of a used for you. Who better to look for signs of previous repair work than the guys that do those repairs for a living, am I right?

+1000000

ALWAYS take it to a shop (preferrably of the same manufacturer as the car) and have them do a full inspection. Unless, of course, you are mechanically gifted or bring along a buddy who is.

$50-$100 in peace of mind is worth thousands later...

bryman

exiledtrinib0y 07-16-2011 12:10 AM

there is a place for people like that in the afterlife all those shady salesmen who think they got away with it Vengance will be had...!

BH818 07-25-2011 12:01 PM

They are both different, I check a car last week and autocheck did not have the last mileage 90k showing, I check carfax and it showed it

Gosuballer 10-04-2012 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by onebadgs400 (Post 4049780)
I'm searching for a G coupe and was told by a buddy of mine to use auto check instead of carfax. Man was he right. I have found at least 10 or so cars with damage from big to small dealers.

Then I came across this video online from a Canadian news organization called Marketplace (video link here). Its a great video and note what the carfax guy says toward the end of the video. I will defiantly be taking my next vehicle not only to a dealer for inspection but to a body shop. Carfax should be sued. Experian Auto check for life!!!

thank you very much for the share. I watched the whole thing and now understand why people should check multiple sources when buying a ysed car.

Wi-Z_Sam 03-04-2013 09:30 PM

Doesnt carfax or any check only work if it is a reported accident
You can get in an accident yourself and fix it
Someone tried that on me when I was looking at a M45, I was looking at the trunk and saw some welding where it shouldnt be

simphmerj 03-05-2013 01:10 AM

Take for a test drive, then Take it to car max they'll inspect it and tell u if its been damaged.