Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Looking to buy an 05-06 G35X

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamco973
Should check around a bit more.. I live in NJ as well and picked up a one owner 05 G coupe with 32k miles for $16,500. Fully loaded sport package and navi. Def check your pricing, I have seen a lot around lately for less and be careful with Chase, they are a decent bank but hit you hard with a lot of little hiddens fees etc.. Def get a warranty as well these cars are extremly problem prone, look at all the posts here
The coupes were cheaper than the sedan G35X AWD. The prices I listed were Philadelphia suburban NJ 2006 G35X Sedans only. I looked a www.cars.com & local dealer lots. They ranged $18k-$23... I did not look up any 05's or any coupe's.
I also don't know about any hidden fees in financing? My loan is just a simple % loan - what kind of fees do you mean? Fairness in Lending Act should have made it much harder for them to crook people - but I'm also in top credit score range, so financing is usually not an issue for me.
And I am buying the warranty - AWL and lotta electronics to go bad - can get expensive quick...

Old 04-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamco973
Def get a warranty as well these cars are extremly problem prone, look at all the posts here
No G35 is "extremely problem prone". It's a very reliable car with very few major issues. The only one anyone has to worry about is the oil consumption issue on Rev-up engines, and 99%+ of those has resulted in a new engine being installed by Infiniti. You might see valve cover leaks, but those are definitely covered under the power train warranty.

And for purchase cost, all things being equal, G35x > G35 Coupe > G35 Sedan. It's always been this way.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by dtuna42
This car was listed at $21,500 and I paid $20,800 + tax.

I transferred my old tags, in NJ, and I don't have that cost in front of me. My trade-in was $5800, so I paid 6% sales tax on the roughly $15k difference. Not sure how it works in every state, but in Pa you only pay sales tax on the difference.

I searched within 50 miles of my location for comps and the prices were all in the $19k - $23k range. The cheaper cars usually had accidents and/or multiple owners on the reports, and/or had higher mileage. The more expensive cars had low miles, one-owner, and/or were CPO.

This car is not CPO, but it's still under Basic Warranty until July 2010. The Infinity extended basic warranty (which I will probably buy) is $1300 for 48 months or 48k miles from date of purchase, assuming under 30k miles on car. They also offer 60 months/60k miles or 60 month/70k miles for a few hundred more. It looks like, around here at least, the cost of buying a CPO car vs buying one with low miles & extending Infiniti's warranty afterwards is similar.

By the way - as for financing - since you mentioned Chase - they gave me 4.29% x 60 months for 2006 model year.
Also, if you're doing a trade-in, check out the AutoTrader.com guaranteed trade-in value. It's free and takes about 3 minutes. Even if the dealer you use isn't on their list, or if you are using a place you already know and trust, it's nice to have that paper with "guaranteed trade-in value" printed on it when you're negotiating..
Thanks for the info. The warranty is something I did not know of and may need to check out.

How did the Chase process go? Did you go to a branch or apply online? One of the bankers told me they typically give a decision within the business day.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
The cars that you'll get from Infiniti are lease returns or trade-ins of cars purchased at an Infiniti dealer. They are the top of the line Infiniti's, and are better than pretty much anything you'll find at Mannheim. The only bidders are other Infiniti dealers because nobody else is invited. The cars that don't sell at that auction are then sent to the next tier down in the auction world and that's the Mannheim/dealer only type auctions. You can't buy a 1-day membership to those, you have to be a licensed dealer. What doesn't sell there will then go down another notch to membership-type auction or a public auction. So going to one of these 3rd tier auctions isn't going to tell you much about what a 1st tier car sold for at the Infiniti auction.

The purchase price of just my car (pre-tax, pre-CPO) was below what Kelly Blue Book, NADA Guides, or Edmunds had it listed for. It was also about $3500 less than what a comparable car was selling for down the street at Fox Motors in Grand Rapids.
I was only going to look at Galves for relative pricing. I wasn't planning on going to any auction whatsoever, just want to take a look and see what some dealers are willing to paying.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by ilv2xlr8
How did the Chase process go? Did you go to a branch or apply online? One of the bankers told me they typically give a decision within the business day.
I was planning on using Capital One Auto Finance - applied online and had the "Blank Check" in hand at the dealer. But the dealer said they could beat their rate, and they came back in less than an hour with Chase about 1/2% better - like 4.3% vs 4.8%. My previous car loan was already with Chase, and I was trading that car in- plus I have a Chase credit card - so it's possible Chase was giving me a better rate based on already being a customer....

Old 04-18-2010, 12:15 AM
I was planning on using Capital One Auto Finance - applied online and had the "Blank Check" in hand at the dealer. But the dealer said they could beat their rate, and they came back in less than an hour with Chase about 1/2% better - like 4.3% vs 4.8%. My previous car loan was already with Chase, and I was trading that car in- plus I have a Chase credit card - so it's possible Chase was giving me a better rate based on already being a customer....
Ah ok, ironically I was thinking about capital one as well. I want to avoid the dealer so that I know what I'm qualified beforehand so that I can haggle freely. If you don't already have it, Chase offers a .25 discount if you also have chase checking and sign up for autopay for your loan. It's not a whole lot but still a nice incentive if you already have a checking account from them.

I don't mean to be too personal but what are you financial figures? Fico? Debt/income ratio? You can PM me with those if you want, I just am trying to gauge what I will be offered. Chase is pretty competitive since they only offer anywhere from 4-7% so if you aren't well qualified, you just don't get the loan.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:09 AM
Ah ok, ironically I was thinking about capital one as well. I want to avoid the dealer so that I know what I'm qualified beforehand so that I can haggle freely. If you don't already have it, Chase offers a .25 discount if you also have chase checking and sign up for autopay for your loan. It's not a whole lot but still a nice incentive if you already have a checking account from them.

I don't mean to be too personal but what are you financial figures? Fico? Debt/income ratio? You can PM me with those if you want, I just am trying to gauge what I will be offered. Chase is pretty competitive since they only offer anywhere from 4-7% so if you aren't well qualified, you just don't get the loan.
DEFINITELY PM him this info, don't make it public.

FWIW, a car loan rate usually isn't impacted much by debt/income, it's mostly FICO and credit history. Granted, a poor debt/income makes actually getting the loan more difficult, but the other factors have a bigger affect on the actual rate. Debt/income comes more into play for a mortgage, along with FICO and history. Basically, the bigger the purchase, the more debt/income matters. They start to worry more about whether you can make the payment, not if you make the payment.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Chase Auto Finance

DEFINITELY PM him this info, don't make it public.

FWIW, a car loan rate usually isn't impacted much by debt/income, it's mostly FICO and credit history. Granted, a poor debt/income makes actually getting the loan more difficult, but the other factors have a bigger affect on the actual rate. Debt/income comes more into play for a mortgage, along with FICO and history. Basically, the bigger the purchase, the more debt/income matters. They start to worry more about whether you can make the payment, not if you make the payment.
Good idea - I will PM some of that... As far as car loans go, I agree with above - If your credit score is over 720 & you are putting down 20%, I think you can expect the best rates.

The thing I like best about Chase Auto Finance account - besides the rate, of course - is that their online services are really nice. You can log in to one page and manage your car loan(s) and credit card(s), and any other accounts you may have with them - including making payments, changing due-dates, making auto-recurring payments, refinance, check history, pay-off amounts, etc... It's a pretty nice setup overall.

Last edited by dtuna42; 04-18-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: additional
Old 04-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Good idea - I will PM some of that... As far as car loans go, I agree with above - If your credit score is over 720 & you are putting down 20%, I think you can expect the best rates.

The thing I like best about Chase Auto Finance account - besides the rate, of course - is that their online services are really nice. You can log in to one page and manage your car loan(s) and credit card(s), and any other accounts you may have with them - including making payments, changing due-dates, making auto-recurring payments, refinance, check history, pay-off amounts, etc... It's a pretty nice setup overall.
Something interesting to think about...When I went to Chase, he told me the value of an 06 G35x w/36K miles is 17,800. I wonder if that would work as a haggle price.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:17 AM
Something interesting to think about...When I went to Chase, he told me the value of an 06 G35x w/36K miles is 17,800. I wonder if that would work as a haggle price.
Anything works as a haggle price, but that Chase number is pretty much low blue book value, so don't plan on it having any impact on the sale price. That's all you'll likely get from insurance if it was totalled, so that's about all they'll finance. That was one of the nice things about having Infiniti finance my car, I could finance the entire purchase price. With Chase, I was looking at paying something like like $2000 out of pocket (don't remember the exact number) to cover taxes and such.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Anything works as a haggle price, but that Chase number is pretty much low blue book value, so don't plan on it having any impact on the sale price. That's all you'll likely get from insurance if it was totalled, so that's about all they'll finance. That was one of the nice things about having Infiniti finance my car, I could finance the entire purchase price. With Chase, I was looking at paying something like like $2000 out of pocket (don't remember the exact number) to cover taxes and such.
It's interesting though why the insurance value is a few thousand different than the average pricing. Then again, he never asked what packages/options it had and that would sway it higher.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:04 PM
insurance...

It's interesting though why the insurance value is a few thousand different than the average pricing. Then again, he never asked what packages/options it had and that would sway it higher.
A lot of people probably find out the hard way that their standard insurance policy only covers a very low Blue Book value. If you're not putting down at least 20% it's time to start thinking about gap insurance. Or at the very least confirm with your insurance company how they decide your "replacement value"....

Old 04-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Does any of you guys have any experience with putting down a deposit to "save" the car so it doesn't get sold. I'm waiting to shift my car and hoping by next weekend I'll have sold it. I plan on checking out a car tomorrow that looks very promising and I would hate for it to be sold within the next week.

What is the best way to go about that and not get scammed?

Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 AM
A lot of people probably find out the hard way that their standard insurance policy only covers a very low Blue Book value. If you're not putting down at least 20% it's time to start thinking about gap insurance. Or at the very least confirm with your insurance company how they decide your "replacement value"....
It's very difficult, if not impossible, to get gap coverage on a used car. New car, yes, because they have some relatively fixed value to work off of, but used cars vary too much in pricing. I wanted to get gap on my car, but couldn't. Well, not quite true. The dealership offered me gap coverage after I'd signed off on everything, so it would have come out of pocket ($500 or so). Didn't seem worth it to me.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:46 AM
Does any of you guys have any experience with putting down a deposit to "save" the car so it doesn't get sold. I'm waiting to shift my car and hoping by next weekend I'll have sold it. I plan on checking out a car tomorrow that looks very promising and I would hate for it to be sold within the next week.

What is the best way to go about that and not get scammed?
They have to pay you back the deposit if they sell it out from under you. Just get everything in writing. What they might do is call you if someone else is interested and give you the first opportunity to buy it. But it's unlikely they'll just hold it for you if someone else wants it. I know that if you choose not to buy it, no matter if someone else is interested in it or not, you'll probably lose the deposit. It's just not in the dealer's best interest to be holding cars for people.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:50 PM
So I was going to look at a car yesterday but on my way there it was sold. It was a real bummer since it was the right price and everything looked in place. But I suppose it just wasn't meant to be.

Last edited by ilv2xlr8; 04-26-2010 at 01:08 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an 05-06 G35X