G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/buying-selling-leasing-discussion-147/)
-   -   So, what should I do with my car? (https://g35driver.com/forums/buying-selling-leasing-discussion/455516-so-what-should-i-do-my-car.html)

Mustang5L5 06-03-2016 11:52 AM

So, what should I do with my car?

Unsure if you saw my thread a few weeks back, but the front driveshaft on my 2006 Sedan let go at 80MPH. The loose shaft did some damage under the car. From what I can see, it damaged the bellhousing, and I seem to have a differential fluid leak, so the differential may have cracked. Still need to crawl under the car and take a peek to see what is needed to repair exactly

Car had almost 180K miles on it. Needless to say...I just gave up and bought a new car.

Car's been collecting dust in my garage for 3 weeks. I need to figure out what to do with it. I'd like the garage space back, and really don't have the time to fix it.

So do I sell it for parts/repair? IF so what do I ask for a car that needs to be towed out and might need $500-1000 in used parts to get driving again, with nearly 200K miles on it?

Do I just scrap it for 200-300?

OR do I donate it and use it as a write-off? :dunno:

Opinions?

What really sucks is literally a week before, I had a tire blow on the highway, prompting me to put $800 in tires on it.

Jeff92se 06-03-2016 01:23 PM

If you could fix it with used parts, it would be worth a lot more. Have a mechanic fix it? If you can fix it for less than a grand, you should be able to sell it for 5 grand or so?

Justice06RR 06-03-2016 08:45 PM

Part out and sell the good parts first, then scrap the rest.

If you scrap it as it sits, you'll get next to nothing. Be a little patient, sell the OEM parts, then have the rest towed to a yard for whatever its worth.

Last resort is donate for a write-off is you really can't wait. But give it at least 1-2weeks before you do, while selling any good parts from the car.

dukehotty 06-04-2016 08:02 PM

If it has projectors you can easily sell those

gary c 06-04-2016 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se (Post 7062149)
If you could fix it with used parts, it would be worth a lot more. Have a mechanic fix it? If you can fix it for less than a grand, you should be able to sell it for 5 grand or so?

Best :IDEA:
Gary

hurleyguys 06-04-2016 09:32 PM

yep +1 to fixing it and selling it.

JOKER 06-04-2016 10:41 PM

sell it for parts. You can get 3 to 4k for it. It will take you time and it will be longer in the garage, but it's makes most financial sense.

Urbanengineer 06-04-2016 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by dukehotty
If it has projectors you can easily sell those

He's on that sedan life.

I recommend de modding anything worth money, and send the rest to the guy who will pick it up with a clean title for $1000.

ScraggleRock 06-05-2016 01:28 AM

Hella sideways on this thread, but what kind of car did you buy that could replace the G? This is such a well rounded car and there are very few options from which to choose when trying to find an equal or above (I.e. stylish, comfortable, sporty, fun, but also somehow decently functional, etc.); Or did you go in a completely different direction?

Mustang5L5 06-05-2016 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by ScraggleRock (Post 7062321)
Hella sideways on this thread, but what kind of car did you buy that could replace the G? This is such a well rounded car and there are very few options from which to choose when trying to find an equal or above (I.e. stylish, comfortable, sporty, fun, but also somehow decently functional, etc.); Or did you go in a completely different direction?

I went completely different direction. I looked at getting a g37x but in the end got something else. It probably surprise you what I got, but keep in mind I have two toddlers and one of the biggest issues with the g was lack of trunk space when going on family vacations. New car solves that. I'll post it up when I can link a pic as well

Mustang5L5 06-05-2016 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se (Post 7062149)

$5k for a sedan with almost 180k on the clock? Is that realistic?

It's not the only mechanical issue really. Motor burns oil and front lower control arm bushings need replacement (have parts)

In my mind, even fixed I was only valuating the car at $2-3k tops despite being clean

I gotta crawl under there and confirm the differential is busted. I know there's a puddle of somewthing leaking under there

As far as repairing, I can get a driveshaft for $250 reman on eBay, and a differential is prob $400ish used, but looks to be a pita to replace. I also need to tow the car anywhere to fix as it no longer has plates.

telcoman 06-05-2016 06:48 PM

Trade it in for a new vehicle

Telcoman

Mignav01 06-06-2016 03:26 AM

So, what should I do with my car?

He already got a new vehicle if I remember reading correctly in his other thread, nice choice btw. and yeah if you fixed the G you're looking at like 3 grand ish maybe 4 on a good day but realistically I'd say 3k. Part out?

Mustang5L5 06-06-2016 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by telcoman (Post 7062423)
Trade it in for a new vehicle

Telcoman

Tried that. I bought a 2014 Ford Taurus Limited. Dealer didn't want the G35 in trade in. Went different direction, but overall it came down to money really. Not that I couldn't afford a G37x, but I just bought a house and would rather put money into that, vs a car. This was was $10K less than an equivalent G37x I was looking at (miles, features, navi, etc) and gets 30+ MPG on 87 octane while cruising at 80+MPH, and a huge trunk for all the kid crap I find myself hauling around these days. I HATE the FWD aspect of the car, but I'm loving the car so far. It's not a G35/G37 replacement, so don't think I consider it "better". It's just different. It's kinda like when you break up with your girlfriend of 9 years. You are sad, but finally have an opportunity to try something new. So I went for something different.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...95-jpg.557033/

Originally Posted by Mignav01 (Post 7062466)
Part out?

No time or desire really. I gotta move it to the driveway soon out of the garage and at least if it's together, it doesn't look too bad. Last thing I want is a parted out car in the driveway for months.

I think I'm just gonna list it for $1500 For parts/repair and see what I get. Before I do that...I gotta crawl under there and confirm the damage. First chance I get to do that is Tuesday. If all it needs is a driveshaft...i'll fix it.

Urbanengineer 06-06-2016 09:33 AM

That will work out well for you! Well, if winter was approaching that would help. Glad to see you got a car you like. I'm currently in search of a tow vehicle.