Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Wort the risk/cost?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you touch this restored title car?

1st post, hope his doesn't break any rules. I searched here and this seems to be an allowed post, as they are on the miata.net site.

Looking for another toy to add to my Miata and EX35.

In Arizona, there exists a thing called a 'restored' title. Arestored salvage vehicle is defined as one that was previously issued a certificate of title branded as salvage title, but has now been repaired/restored, then inspected by the state for roadworthiness and issued a title branded as restored salvage.

If it's an Arizona car it should be rust free.
If this checks out with my mechanic, and is as clean as it appears, does this seem like a fairly decent buy? Of course that's his 1st price so I'd see what we could do?
My goal is to enjoy it until I get tired of it and maybe recoup some or most of my cost in a year or so. - sorry if that sound naive.

Someone please contact me if CL link postings are not allowed, or I should in other ways modify this post.

Does the price seems fair after taking into account a discount from market value?

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...273929740.html

Last edited by hal60; 08-22-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:34 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Well it has the premium package (Bose stereo, Bluetooth, etc) as well as the notorious "ripped seat corner" so even if you do discover down the road that something is really bad about it you would likely sell it for the same price you would pay.

Check under it really good (up on a lift), look for body panel lines that don't match, it's almost impossible to cover up the damage when the insurance company totals the vehicle so you should be able to spot it.

​​​​i would also insist on the vehicle being inspected by your local Infiniti/Nissan dealership just in case you miss something yourself.

My biggest worry aside from rust (I will NEVER buy a car with rust unless it's a classic.for resto) is frame damage that prevents it from being aligned or having frame thrust (sidewinding on the road). Fortunately this is a really stiff frame so thrust shouldn't be an issue. Check all the crumple zones really well, look in the wheelwells especially, also find out what year the title went to salvage, if it was recent then the damages only exceeded 10k or so which could just be a hard collision but no structural damage. If the title went salvage when it was only a couple years old then it was 25k+ worth of damage which is massive structural damage.

Flood damage is impossible to cover up, corrosion grows on everything, pick random nuts/bolts under the dash and see if they're rusty, don't buy a flood car.

Personally I stay away from rebuild/salvage title just because I don't like the Gremlins that pop up but the pricetag is usually good and if it's just a weekend cruiser and not you daily driver then get it if it looks clean.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:41 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Actually, you can see in the pictures that it was a frontal collision. Noticable fitment problems at the hood and grille. In the side shot from the left side it looks like minor fitment problem on the fender/door/side skirt behind the front left tire, I would THOROUGHLY inspect the crumple zones in the front. Including removing the front tires and the interior wheel we'll covers. If the damage crumpled the frame at all just walk away from it .

Old 08-22-2017, 11:59 PM
Current owner says he's had the car a year, and does say it was a front end collision prior to him owning it. I would expect title or carfax can determine how many miles he's driven in that year

Old 08-23-2017, 12:10 AM
I'm not married to any particular car, just want another toy. I split my time between my Miata PRHT and my EX35. Looking for a manual that's more comfortable than the Miata as a spirited grocery getter, G35, RSX, A3, you kind of get the idea. I'd love to find a Volvo C30.. Something a bit less common than a VW GTI

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.