Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Found a 04 G35 with a Procharger, worth and reliable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found a 04 G35 with a Procharger, worth and reliable?

After getting hit in my 07 Z, I've decided that I wanted to move to the G. Done a lot of searching and I've came across an 04, 75000 miles, manual, and looks overal in great shape. It also has a Procharger equipped. I haven't messed with mods much at all with the Z, although I always wanted to, but now that I've found this I'm really interested. The seller didn't list anything else, and I'm not sure what else this car has, wish I knew more about mods. The asking price is around 13k and was wondering if this price is perhaps too low for what it has and if it could have underlaying problems. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by cMar; 10-11-2017 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:32 AM
Also I'm a big noob with a lot of this stuff haha

Last edited by cMar; 10-11-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Before you drop a dime on this ride have it checked out, compression test is necessary! Shouldn't be throwing any error codes, coming from a Z you should know what those are! Drive this G35 coupe, not just around the block but for at least 6 miles so you can feel how it drives...Gary

Old 10-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Before you drop a dime on this ride have it checked out, compression test is necessary! Shouldn't be throwing any error codes, coming from a Z you should know what those are! Drive this G35 coupe, not just around the block but for at least 6 miles so you can feel how it drives...Gary
Thanks for the help! The only problem I see right now is that I live about 6 hours away from the seller, so I'm not exactly sure how I should get that done. And honestly I've only had my Z for a year (and I'm only 18) so i'm not experienced in most of this, always had a strong interest but I couldn't get around to doing a lot of stuff with mods.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:21 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Whenever I see a catch can it seems like an attempt to patch oil consumption problems.....

Old 10-11-2017, 10:03 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I'll respectfully disagree with you^^ Most of us that use them (older members mainly) either have them for show or to keep as much oil from re-entering the plenum as possible. I know a conventional belief/myth is they help/prevent OC but IMHO that's BS.

OP the base car seems to be worth around $6000 so you're paying more for the Procharger add on ($7000) than the car's worth. Plus as a 17 year old I wouldn't recommend picking up a car like this unless you or your dad are mechanics that have experience with forced induction. Too many issues can pop up with it that will drain your wallet quickly. I'd recommend finding a stock car in good shape and while you own it learn as much as you can about turbocharging and supercharging so you can make an informed purchase if/when you decide to go the FI route. Overall the G's not really a great first/second car for a teenager but since you had a Z you pretty much know what you'll be getting into on a G.

Plus I think this car is cursed by the horrible wheels it has so best to move on to some other target lol.....

Old 10-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by cMar
Thanks for the help! The only problem I see right now is that I live about 6 hours away from the seller, so I'm not exactly sure how I should get that done. And honestly I've only had my Z for a year (and I'm only 18) so i'm not experienced in most of this, always had a strong interest but I couldn't get around to doing a lot of stuff with mods.
If you don't have the time/ability to get this coupe checked out before you buy...pass! There's no telling what might be hidden in a FI coupe this old!
Gary

Old 10-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. I'll definitely pass so I don't get myself in a bad situation and not know what to do. I've found some really clean stock ones also so I'll definitely look into those.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:54 PM
Unless your was totaled, why not get it fixed and enjoy that very cool ride?
Gary

Old 10-12-2017, 09:36 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you insist on getting a vehicle with forced induction just make sure it's FACTORY INSTALLED. Plenty of turbo / supercharged vehicles available and they're a LOT easier to troubleshoot and more reliable than an aftermarket FI system.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:14 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
If you insist on getting a vehicle with forced induction just make sure it's FACTORY INSTALLED. Plenty of turbo / supercharged vehicles available and they're a LOT easier to troubleshoot and more reliable than an aftermarket FI system.
Not always necessary. Just gotta know what you're working with. The limitations for a stock G with FI are around 8psi with fairly low cfm. You can get about 50-70 hp safely. After that, yer gonna want to look into a built (e.g. forged internals)) motor.

To properly FI a G, you'll want a rebuilt motor with forged internals, and preferably a more open bumper to mount an intercooler for more air flow. Should cost around $15k (+/-). If done right it can be very reliable as a VQ block/heads is good for about 1500hp when built right.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Unless your was totaled, why not get it fixed and enjoy that very cool ride?
Gary
I wasnt too happy with the Z, wasn't the greatest of conditions and it was automatic, and I wanted to switch to something a tiny bit more practical but still sporty.

I actually today bought a 2008 G37S with only 62000 miles on it and it's manual so I'm a happy camper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.