Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Buying a 2005/2006 G35 6MT Sedan in 2018

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
Not sure what your budget is, but a mistake some people make is spending every dollar on the car they want. Dont spend your whole budget on the car. I would have at least a thousand saved for maintenance and upgrades. If you're an audiophile, then you can get yourself a nice system cause the stock one blows. Make necessary repairs first. Infiniti will give you a full inspection for $150. The repair quote will probably be thousands but a lot of the work can be diy or done by a trusted mechanic.
L8pass, but yea don't bother getting the premium sound package it still blows haha

Old 06-15-2018, 01:50 AM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by philbegas
L8pass, but yea don't bother getting the premium sound package it still blows haha
The Bose sound system is fine; it is optimized for CD/Mp3 discs. If you want to stream Bluetooth or use an Aux, then upgrade the deck to a modern one. I'm still using cd's with mp3s and they sound great. I have the aux connection but it's not as good since it's not oem.

People forget that its a 10+yr old car now so many things are outdated. But the Boss system is still better than any non-premium sound system. My Honda has all new Kenwood speakers and it still sounds just ok compared to the Bose in the G. Only when I added two 12's subs with 1000amp did it sound better than the G.

To the OP, go with an auto since it's less issue with clutch disc and pedal issues. (Auto's are also cheaper and easier to find). But if you can find a clean 06 6spd go for it.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Justice06RR

The Bose sound system is fine; it is optimized for CD/Mp3 discs. If you want to stream Bluetooth or use an Aux, then upgrade the deck to a modern one. I'm still using cd's with mp3s and they sound great. I have the aux connection but it's not as good since it's not oem.

People forget that its a 10+yr old car now so many things are outdated. But the Boss system is still better than any non-premium sound system. My Honda has all new Kenwood speakers and it still sounds just ok compared to the Bose in the G. Only when I added two 12's subs with 1000amp did it sound better than the G.

To the OP, go with an auto since it's less issue with clutch disc and pedal issues. (Auto's are also cheaper and easier to find). But if you can find a clean 06 6spd go for it.
A lot of people would disagree with you about the system, myself included. https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...omparison.html

Plus the stock deck/amp fail all the time, might as well save your money and get a double din conversion kit + real amplifier and better speakers.

Always go for 6spd over auto because it's not a particularly good automatic. Preferably one with the cd009 transmission

Old 06-15-2018, 10:37 AM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
If you have a good ear, then you know the bose system is ****. If you listen to music enough it's worth upgrading to aftermarket equipment. You don't know how bad it is till you switch it out. The bose headunit is a joke, amp is a joke, and the speakers are the biggest joke. It literally feels like cardboard they are made of. It's ok at a low level, but it distorts pretty bad at higher levels. I believe the non bose system actually sounds better than the bose. You know how it goes, bose blows

Old 06-15-2018, 10:39 AM
Also the clarity of those tweeters is like they're being played through a freaking blanket I got an Alpine Amp, focal access speakers, and infinity kappa sub and I'm so much happier with it

Old 06-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
I have a $40 pair of tweeter/midrange combo JVC speakers for the previously installed 2 channel amp and pioneer head unit the PO had installed. Put em in when I had the door apart to fix noises, window issues, and door lock issues which everyone seems to have at some point.

Sounds so much better and saved about 50 pounds removing the extremely heavy OE speakers from all locations which I plan to add back in sound deadening. My car had the bose speakers, and you can tell just by picking them up and looking at them that the speakers are absolute crap. I found the bose amp disconnected in the trunk, and threw it in the trash can to save weight.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:53 AM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Ive never heard the base system, so I cant compare that.

But I can directly compare to my other car which I put 4 new Kenwood speakers; the Bose still sounded better. Only when I added 2-12” subs with a 1000w amp did my other car sound better.

I dont know how you all measure sound quality. But Ive been a musician for decades so Im not new to this. Maybe we just have different hearing idk.

My Bose in my 05 still sounds great using cd’s. The aux, not so much but its expected from a 13yr old system. Ive never changed to a double din since my other car has all that already.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:12 AM
I pretty much exclusively listen to 320 MP3s played either from my phone (bluetooth) or ipod (ipod usb cable).

Old 07-05-2018, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 sedan 6 spd
Originally Posted by g356sp
I've also had two '06 6mt sedans in the last few years.

Bought my first one at 72k miles, had zero issues and didn't burn any oil at all. I totaled it at 95k miles (like an a**hole :c).

My second one, purchased at 142k, currently at 174k. Burns about 1 quart per 1000 miles even with a catch can, which is a lot, but I also redline every chance I get (the one great part about metered freeway on-ramps haha) and autox frequently. I also get a CEL every once in a while because my gas gauge doesn't drop below 1/2 a tank, but I just use the trip odom to refill at 300 miles so it's not a major issue. Otherwise I haven't HAD to replace anything, though I have done plenty of 'mods' (for suspension, I've done poly bushings anywhere the OE stuff was starting to look worn) and consumable maintenance (belts, brakes, oil, clutch), and in cold humid weather one of my pulleys is starting to squeak (haven't checked which one yet as it goes away once the engine is warm), so I'll likely have to replace one of those soon.
I believe mine is burning about 1 quart every 1000 miles as well. I never seem to get the low oil light though

Old 10-16-2018, 02:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thread revival.

I bought an '05 6MT sedan (REV <3) last summer. It had 57K miles. I've got about 63.5K on it now and only done:
Necessary fixes:
  1. Clutch / single-mass flywheel (an Exedy stage 1 combo kit). Pilot bearing was already worn and the clutch was engaging high off the ground...
  2. Clutch pedal (RJM kit, the Exedy was undriveable on the horrible stock pedal!)
  3. Y-axis rear diff bushing was blown (replaced all three bushings with Whiteline)
  4. New discs and aggressive pads up front
  5. MT oil (Redline)
  6. Diff oil (Redline)
  7. Wheel alignment. Previous owner had it set to some crazy toe-in and the camber was also negative...
Upgrades:
  1. Braided stainless steel clutch line
  2. New clutch master and slave cylinders--why not?
Still needs to be fixed:
  1. Front end clunk at low speed over bumps or moderately hard deceleration. Probably the sway bar endlinks, or compression rod ball joint, or any of the other complicated multi-link bits
  2. Back passenger seat has an annoying rattle-y squeak.
  3. Motor mounts and transmission mount probably need to be replaced, as it's hard to shift into 3rd gear when doing high-speed driving.
  4. Literally nothing else.

A 12/13-year old car... You're buying the previous owner. My car had one previous owner, who meticulously had it serviced at the dealership for all 12 years of his ownership. I think he tracked it, though, 'cause the toe was set to -2.1* for both front wheels and the camber was also slightly negative, but the same on both sides. Clutch wear + brake wear + blown diff bushing + hilarious alignment settings and strangely-worn tires at 57K miles? Hmm.

I haven't had any of this stuff about fuel tanks/gauges. My engine is currently using a bit less than 1 qt per 1000 miles and I basically only ever do 0-80 MPH runs while driving it, always shifting at 7K RPM. I've averaged 12.5 MPG, if that tells you anything.

All in all? It's a fantastic car and still drives better than any new car I've driven*. Buy an old G, plunk money into replacing all the suspension bushings, and love it for years to come. Recognize that it's not worth much, to the market at large, and drive it that way--hard, for maximal fun. Just be warned that you'll be hard-pressed to ever drive an Accord again.

*Obviously, I'm not taking new $50K cars for a spin. But I did manage to test drive a low-mileage '09 G37 6MT sedan and thought the G35 had a lot more spirit/spunk/Fun than the insanely-fast, insanely-competent G37.

Last edited by Eirik; 10-16-2018 at 02:20 AM.