Android Head-Unit review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 04:27 PM
Received 722 Likes on 601 Posts
Android Head-Unit review

I came in here because I noticed the site still had the CarPC forum and I saw my old post regarding the Win7 carputer I had. This forum needs a new thread

I don't own a G35 anymore; I sold it back in 2013, but my experience with one of these newfangled Android head units should help some folks out. I picked up a Joying 7" Android 4.4.4 head unit back in 2015. The screen is a 1024x600 HD display, the unit comes with 1GB of storage and 1GB of RAM. It does have an SD card slot for memory expansion (I threw in an 8gb card to keep localized maps). I have this setup in my 2008 Ford Edge, but the installation is relatively the same as a double-din HU on a G35.

Fit: easy peasy - picked up a Metra dash kit, just as I would have for a G35.

Connectivity - While T-Mobile and other providers have the dongle that connects to your car's OBD-II port to provide a wifi hotspot, I'm a little paranoid about telcos watching my every move. I went with a ZTE wifi hotspot and added an internet only card to my family plan. One of my favorite features of Android is the "find my device" app through Android Device Manager. On a number of occasions, I've used this feature to find out where my wife is at so I know what the nearest restaurant/drive-thru is so she can bring me some food :P

Display - The display looks good. I don't exactly use it to watch movies, but Google Maps works great and everything seems clear enough.

UI - The head units come with a dedicated board to handle things like radio, ACC power on, and the such. The radio app that came with the head unit works pretty well; haven't experienced any reception issues. I ditched the custom launcher it comes with in favor of Google's superior launcher. Sadly, "OK Google" voice commands are hit or miss. Most of the time, my phone will respond instead of the HU.

Bluetooth - works magnificently. Pairing is straight forward. The external mic it comes with works well. Unfortunately, it doesn't do much noise cancelling.

Screen sharing - you can connect your phone to the HU via USB and it will display the phone's screen. I don't really use this feature so I can't comment other than "it works"

Apps - due to the limited 1GB of storage, it won't run much. Whatever apps I download, I try to run off the 8gb sdcard instead. Google Play Music works, but it does crash often. There are times where the music plays but the app will be blank on screen and can only be controlled through steering wheel controls. Forget about OS upgrades, these HUs won't work with newer OS's due to the SoC manufacturer giving up on architecture in favor of newer chips.

Steering wheel controls - Had to get a PAC-SWI to get it working, but either way its hit or miss. Volume works, but skipping songs does not. The HU allows you to map the buttons to common functions.

Sound - I kept the stock speakers and amp on my Edge. The system isn't bad at all and the bass is pretty decent.

GPS - Works great. The HU comes with its own navigation app, but I tossed it in favor of Google Maps. Traffic, weather, and navigation work great!

Overall thoughts - While it has some quirks, I like it a lot better than my Win7 carputer from several years back. My second car is a Nissan Leaf, and since CarWings doesn't work after the 2G cell network was been shut down by AT&T, I'm contemplating getting another Android HU to replace the horrible stock HU.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:56 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I installed an AppRadio3 in my Audi. I then rooted my phone, installed AppRadio unchained and project my screen to a Chromecast connected to it. I can then control my phone via touchscreen from the head unit. You also need a hotspot, I have a jetpack, but you can mod your phone to use itself as a Hotspot. I like this setup though it.can work as a reg head unit and one device now has all my music, vids, etc...

Old 08-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I need an android lol, I have the appradio 3 in mine too and finally got the bypass working.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I need an android lol, I have the appradio 3 in mine too and finally got the bypass working.
Are you using the iPhone?

Android was the way to go, however, on a lot of the newer phones they are locking down the rooting ability. The last two phones I had to purchase for my wife, I couldn't root because they locked down the boot partitions and enabling OEM unlock doesn't do anything.

But, AppRadio3 was the way I wanted to go. I can now do everything from my phone and just send it to my head unit. I want to install once in my G, but I can't justify the price of another AppRadio right now. I'll wait for the AppRadio8 to come out and they try to find another AppRadio3, lol.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Fair point. I used to hate how hard they made it, but rooters/jailbreakers find security exploits and break them. Not great for people's security... what little we have.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.