Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Cleaning, CG, cover, underbody,tools

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning, CG, cover, underbody,tools

O.K. I've been reading posts for about an hour. Not complaining, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought I understood the finer points, but I want to check with you guys first. First of all my husband took my"our" G35 to a dealer today and had a "Simonize" spray done inside and out (bad choice?) 1.It apprears that CG is the product of choice for most? 2. Cleaning, drying and applying CG should be done with a micofiber towel after misting with water? 3. Should I apply CG after having this Simonize application and how long should I wait? 4. Inititially I thought that after applying CG you were done. Now I'm reading about detailing mist. I've seen Mcguire's mentioned. Should a detailing mist go on after the CG? This is somewhat off topic, but should I put a waterproof car cover on for winter? I have no garage. Also, I've read about how important it is to keep the underbody clean in the winter. However, I'm not in a hurry to take this car to a car wash. They haven't done a good job in the past and I've gotten scratches (the mirrors really get nailed). It's usually below 35 here in the winter. What are your suggestions for a really good underbody cleaning other than a car wash? I want to keep this car looking beautiful. After only a month I have a ding in each door. Heartbreak city. Luckily they're just dimples and the paint is intact.
Thank you,
Michele

lamrnd03

Old 10-16-2003, 07:01 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Cleaning, CG, cover, underbody,tools

First of all-- welcome, Michele. Hope the hour of reading was enjoyable [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The Simonize protection-- I personally wouldn't have done it, but only because I'd have taken my car home and immediately waxed/CGed it. They've added some protection, yes, but I like something that is a little more substantial. If you're so inclined, you could wash your car with Dawn (the blue kind), and that will strip off any lesser waxes they might have applied. One or two washings, and you'll be down the "toughest" layer of the car-- the one you want to protect. You can do this immediately, if you want.

After washing with dawn, yes, you can use CG. I personally do, but a lot of people swear by Zaino as well. Two perfectly good products. With CG, you want to make sure your car is nice and clean, dry it off, and then apply panel-by-panel with microfiber towels, a spray bottle of clean water, and the CG bottle. You'll find the application process on this forum a thousand times, but you can PM me and I'd be more than happy to type it up gain.

I typically put a detailing spray on top of the CG after a day or two (if the car is still clean). This gives the CG a little more time to cure before I go buffing it, and it also provides a nice waxy shine (CG already gives you a DEEP shine) that will just last through the next rainstorm. I just use it because, well, I'm protecting my CG [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Waterproof car cover-- yes and no. Yes, because it will keep the water OFF your car. No, because if you put it on top of an already-wet car, it can haze your paint. Make sure that you cover the car if it's dry, but don't apply a non-breathable fabric to an already-wet car. Hope that makes sense!

Underbody cleanliness is imporant, yes. There are some "touchless" washes that will provide this, so search those out. In winter, they're a God-sent. Just pull your car off to the side afterwards and make sure you get the excess water off. They're great for getting the underside clean, and in 30 degree weather, you won't be out cleaning your car by hand.

Hope this answers some of your questions. If you have any others, feel free to ask! You'll find we can be helpful and we'll console you in times of need (ie. dinged doors-- ouch). Incidentally, what color did you get? Good luck,

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-17-2003, 10:29 PM

Watch out for the touchless car washes, they are not completely touchless, b/c they use wheel guides to get the car in and stuff like that. And the guides will scratch your rims if your not careful. Happened to me can you tell. Luckily it only got one wheel.

Old 10-18-2003, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the advice Davey. I have a feeling I'd better find a place to have this car cleaned by someone who's reliable. My options are running out.
Thanks a lot,
Michele

lamrnd03