G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Care & Detailing (https://g35driver.com/forums/care-detailing-22/)
-   -   Window Tinting and RainX (https://g35driver.com/forums/care-detailing/142-window-tinting-rainx.html)

darenv 09-29-2002 08:01 AM

Window Tinting and RainX

How does tinting work? Is it a laminate attached to the outside or inside of the windows? Can you RainX your windshield after tinting?

SSTuner 09-29-2002 09:41 AM

Re: Window Tinting and RainX

Check out www.latint.com , this site explains all.

Ray Lopez
2003 G35 Sedan
482HP Supercharged 1996 Impala SS

Howard 09-29-2002 12:20 PM

Inside and yes.

Gordgee 09-29-2002 12:28 PM

Yes, it's a laminate that is applied to the inside of your windows (mind you, some guy on this forum got his applied to the OUTSIDE of his windows much to his dismay). Of course you can continue to use Rain-X.
I did my own tint-NOT a good idea unless you've done something like this before. The absolute best site to learn more about tinting than you'll ever want to know including how the pros do it and the site that they refer to is (maybe I shouldn' t give this because if you try to do it youself and botch it, it''ll cost a LOT to correct your mistake);
http://www.tintdude.com/

Msedanman 09-29-2002 01:19 PM

gordgee, When you get a tint, (which I understand goes on the inside), can you still get a fog problem ever? Or does that prob. dissappear? If you need an atifog which one is compatible???? Thanks,

darenv 09-29-2002 01:57 PM

Thanks guys. A guy was handing out cards at the dealership, right before I drove off the lot. Says he will do the whole car for $175. Is that a good price?

As you can tell, I am very new to the luxury/sport car life. Just traded in my 1997 Honda Civic (whopping 130 hp) for the G.

Black/Graphite, xenon, prem lux leather, navi, bose

Gordgee 09-29-2002 02:31 PM

gsedanman;
This is beyond my area of expertise (cars are just a hobby for me). My experience with other cars that were tinted is that yes, The surface will still fog due to condensation on a cold surface.
I have tried Wynns or Rain-X Antifog (can't remember which)which worked okay , but I found that in heavy humidityin very cold weather, the windows would look kind of streaky, so I stopped using it. I preferred just keeping the windows clean and using the defroster.
If you try an antifog treatment, test it in an inconspicuous area first because some may cause clouding on plastic surfaces. Different window tints may have different coatings. Best to check with your installer re their experiences/recommendations.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gordgee on 09/29/02 11:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Msedanman 09-29-2002 07:00 PM

thanks for the help gordgee; Yes it's just a hobby here too but have no experience whatsoever with tinting so thanks for the insight....... Gsedanman Garnet Fire Sedan with all the toys.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 09/29/02 04:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Howard 09-29-2002 07:12 PM

Make sure it has a lifetime warranty. The newer ones made of a metal film do. I've only used the rain-x on the outside, the one that helps with rain and that works great. Never tried the anti-fog one and I'm not sure about putting it on the tint anyway.

I also don't remember if I've had any problems with the tint fogging, but it just may be that is hasn't been very cold here in Los Angeles, since I got my car.

Gordgee 09-29-2002 08:32 PM

So far my tint hasn't fogged either. The weather's been reasonable so far in Edmonton. Only got down to about 25 F so far. I'll think about you guys in warmer climes when we go down to -20 F. Antifog does nothing for the frost that forms on the inside of all the windows![img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]