Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:10 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
You've got the basics down, but I highly recommend using a dual action polisher rather than a rotary machine.... especially if this is your first time using a machine on your car.

Dual action polishers are almost foolproof. They are very safe, and the chances of burning through your clear are slim to none. Rotary machines, on the other hand, are very dangerous in untrained hands. It just takes a second to burn through the paint and cause damage that must be repainted.

Right now the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher is on sale for just $109. That is a lot cheaper than having to repaint a panel, and the results will be excellent as there is no chance of creating holograms in the paint with a DA machine like you can with a rotary. Add in a 5" backing plate and some pads, and you're good to go.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Name:  forum%20sig%20transparent%20bg_zpscqrz3ryd.png
Views: 104
Size:  63.5 KB

Old 06-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
have a 2015 BMW 3 series sport wagon. a bottle of Pine Sol spilled in the rear hatch. luckily I have a hatch liner that caught most of the spill, but some splashed up onto the seat backs that were up. the seat backs have carpet on them and they got soaked pretty good. got as much out with dry towels with weights placed on them. was not going to attempt the complete clean up myself, so took to my favorite detail shop. they used an extractor on the area and also ran on ozone machine overnight. I also changed out the cabin filter, but you can still smell it. it has only been a week, but I need this smell gone. I have been keeping windows down as much as possible and have also put baking soda on a cookie sheet in the back hatch in hopes of absorbing some of the strong pine scent. any other suggestions would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:31 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Sounds like the extractor and ozone treatment was not done properly. If the seats were extracted completely, there would be no chemical left in the fibers.

You may also contact Simple Green to see what they recommend to neutralize their chemicals. I believe simple green is an alkaline cleaner (pH well above 7), so you may need something acidic like vinegar to neutralize it... but I would consult with them on that before spraying vinegar everywhere

Old 06-15-2016, 05:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Sounds like the extractor and ozone treatment was not done properly. If the seats were extracted completely, there would be no chemical left in the fibers.

You may also contact Simple Green to see what they recommend to neutralize their chemicals. I believe simple green is an alkaline cleaner (pH well above 7), so you may need something acidic like vinegar to neutralize it... but I would consult with them on that before spraying vinegar everywhere
my thoughts exactly on the detail/cleaning job. been going to this shop since 2005, but they have grown very large with all of their car dealership contracts. feel like they have lost the personal touch required of detailing. not much choice in my area, but may have to look around to find better.

did you mean Pine Sol versus Simple Green?

Old 06-15-2016, 09:04 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by DRG35R
my thoughts exactly on the detail/cleaning job. been going to this shop since 2005, but they have grown very large with all of their car dealership contracts. feel like they have lost the personal touch required of detailing. not much choice in my area, but may have to look around to find better.

did you mean Pine Sol versus Simple Green?
Ha, oops... idk why I jumped to Simple Green. Sometimes my brain doesn't work... but yeah, same situation. You may reach out to Pine Sol to see what they recommend to neutarlize their chemical.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:32 PM
ibg
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 04 black sedan on which i keep getting water spots due to the sprinklers
Every time i get these water spots i take it to a detailer and have them remove them since i haven't been able to figure out a way to do so myself and i am afraid of damaging the paint.
i have seen many posts about using water mixed with vinegar but that would require polishing/waxing afterwards

I was wondering if there is anything else besides water/vinegar mix that i could use to get this done?

Also every time i wash my car I wait for it to be cool and in the shade i try to use the best car soap i can find yet i also soak the car with a good amount of water before i start washing the car. I soap the car and quickly rinse it off . BUT i still keep getting soap residue marks on the car like if i never washed the car... I like to spend time on my car not having to take it to car washes .. any help on this ?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-12-2016, 08:12 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Hard water can cause some serious damage to paint... you need to avoid the sprinkler water, and that will solve your problem for you.

Please read these articles on water spots....
Understanding Water Spots & How to Avoid Them by Zach McGovern
Removing Water Spots by Zach McGovern

I wash a lot of cars... and soap residue is not something I have ever had an issue with. Make sure you are following the manufacturer recommendations for diluting the soap, and simply rinse the soapy water off of the car immediately after washing a section of the car. If the vehicle is cool, you should not be having issues.

Hope that helps!

-Zach

Old 07-12-2016, 09:59 PM
ibg
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard water can cause some serious damage to paint... you need to avoid the sprinkler water, and that will solve your problem for you.

Please read these articles on water spots....
Understanding Water Spots & How to Avoid Them by Zach McGovern
Removing Water Spots by Zach McGovern
i was going to try doing the water/vinegar that many people have stated before but i decided to try 3D ERASER which is meant for water spots .. it did a so so job but to be fair it was my first try with it and it might have been some user error i am going to give it one more try...

I wash a lot of cars... and soap residue is not something I have ever had an issue with. Make sure you are following the manufacturer recommendations for diluting the soap, and simply rinse the soapy water off of the car immediately after washing a section of the car. If the vehicle is cool, you should not be having issues.

Hope that helps!

-Zach

honestly i have tried many times to do as you say but i guess i will have to come out with my measuring cup just to get it precise and avoid keep getting soap smudges.

also do you thing the top of my car can be fixed with maybe a polish/wax or something of that nature or is it going to require a paint job ?

Attached Thumbnails Ask a Professional Detailer...-20160712_181757.jpeg  
Old 07-13-2016, 04:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My car is lowered so I am forced to park outside. The car is being exposed to sunlight most of the year. What can I do to reduce the likelihood of clearcoat fading/paint damage?

Old 07-13-2016, 09:54 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by ibg
i was going to try doing the water/vinegar that many people have stated before but i decided to try 3D ERASER which is meant for water spots .. it did a so so job but to be fair it was my first try with it and it might have been some user error i am going to give it one more try...
As I explain in the articles I posted in my original response to you, the water spots may not be removable with a chemical. If they have begun to etch into the clear coat, they will need to be removed with abrasive compounds and/or polishes.

Again, avoiding the sources of hard water will be MUCH easier than dealing with removing the water stains over and over.

Originally Posted by ibg
also do you thing the top of my car can be fixed with maybe a polish/wax or something of that nature or is it going to require a paint job ?
It is hard to tell from the photo, but that appears to be some defect that will require body work, not detailing. More detailed photo would help.

Originally Posted by jcritical
My car is lowered so I am forced to park outside. The car is being exposed to sunlight most of the year. What can I do to reduce the likelihood of clearcoat fading/paint damage?
My car is lowered, but I still let it in the garage

You're going to want to keep maximum UV protection on the car at all time, make sure to keep it clean, and remove any harmful contaminants ASAP.

Protection comes in a variety of forms - waxes, sealants, and nano coatings. All have their pros and cons, so find the best product that fits your needs.

Wash the car regularly to remove loose dirt and contamination using proper washing & drying technique.
How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car by Todd Cooperider

Utilize a clay bar and/or various chemicals to remove bonded contamination that will set on the surface of the vehicle over time.
Explaining the Decontamination Process (Part 1) by Zach McGovern
Explaining the Decontamination Process (Part 2) by Zach McGovern

Let me know if you've got any other questions
-Zach

Old 07-13-2016, 10:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You mentioned to keep it as clean as possible. How does a layer of dust damage it?

Old 07-14-2016, 07:41 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by jcritical
You mentioned to keep it as clean as possible. How does a layer of dust damage it?
Dust, not a big deal... but if you drive the car regularly, there is certainly more than just dust accumulating on the paint. There are all sorts of chemicals and what not on the roads that can end up on your car, also there are plenty of airborne contaminates that will settle on your vehicle as well. I recommend all my customers wash their vehicles at least every other week to help keep them clean.

-Zach

Old 03-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello g35 forum! I just picked up an 04 g35 coupe from a dealer trade in as in "as is' vehicle... There's a lot of what looks like duct tape residue on the doors and various spots. What would you recommend on removing without damaging paint? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-03-2017, 06:01 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Goo Gone or Goof Off have always worked well for me.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quick(er) paint sealant

I want to apply a sealant to my car but prefer not to have to wait overnight before driving it while the product cures. Are there any sealants that enable you to use the vehicle shortly after applying/removing?