G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Care & Detailing (https://g35driver.com/forums/care-detailing-22/)
-   -   Ask a Professional Detailer... (https://g35driver.com/forums/care-detailing/147922-ask-professional-detailer.html)

George - I had posted earlier about water spots on my chrome surrounding the side windows. I used Meguires Chrome Polish and, along with some elbow grease, the spots came right out. Now I am left with two other questions -

1) what would you recommend to remove scratches from the same chrome (deep enough that the polish doesn't do it)?

2) Any thoughts on how to remove/reduce scratches on the black areas on the doors between the front and rear side windows? The paint on those areas looks a bit less glossy than the paint on my black vehicle. The scratches look like they are probably from fingernails or jewelry (from the car's first owner).

Thanks again,
Jeff

Detailed Image 02-25-2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ttrank (Post 3949252)
Good question!
Not sure what others do but I try to polish/seal and wax my car at least twice a year. From there I apply a fresh coat of wax every two months.

Good advice Tim. I usually recommend a similar routine, but I throw in an extra mini-detail where I'll reapply the sealant without polishing. Most sealants on the market last about 3 - 4 months, very few make it to the 6 month mark.

Originally Posted by AVATAR77 (Post 3949803)
George - I had posted earlier about water spots on my chrome surrounding the side windows. I used Meguires Chrome Polish and, along with some elbow grease, the spots came right out. Now I am left with two other questions -

1) what would you recommend to remove scratches from the same chrome (deep enough that the polish doesn't do it)?

2) Any thoughts on how to remove/reduce scratches on the black areas on the doors between the front and rear side windows? The paint on those areas looks a bit less glossy than the paint on my black vehicle. The scratches look like they are probably from fingernails or jewelry (from the car's first owner).

Thanks again,
Jeff

Jeff,

Unfortunately, there's no good answer to the scratches on your chrome trim. Usually the coating is very thin and if you use too aggressive of an abrasive polish, you can wear the chrome right off. You can keep going at it coat after coat with the metal polish, but I wouldn't recommend anything more aggressive than that. If you do want to take a stab at it, you increase your risk of damaging the trim even further.

Regarding the black areas, I'd suggest starting with a light finishing polish and continue working that until results improve. If it's not putting a dent in it, you can try a medium cutting polish, then be sure to follow up with a finishing polish to remove any hazing or marring left behind. Before you go to town on the entire area, test it out in a small section to ensure the products you are using are helping.

These probably weren't the answers you were looking for, but the two areas you are dealing with are a major PITA when it comes to keeping them looking perfect. Many times, our customers end up replacing them with new trim if it really bothers them, then focus on protecting them and minimizing adding imperfections to these areas.

George

Matthaios 02-25-2009 02:39 PM

I just got my order in from you yesterday and now I'm wishing I bought a couple more things. I hate how that works out. You should open up a store on the west coast :icon17:. Preferably around San Francisco, so I can just go to the store to pick up products.

Anyways, after doing more research I've come across a few questions. I have been trying to get some info on detailing the engine bay. I was hoping you might have some tips/tricks that could share. Also, what kinda things do I have to be careful of? (i.e. I read somewhere saying to cover the alternator with a plastic baggie). Also, I purchased the foamaster gun from you and was wondering if it would be ok to put some poorboys APC in it and use it under the hood.

While I was considering doing this, I wanted to know if the poorboys APC would be ok on the paint as well. If it is, will it remove sealant/wax? This may be a good thing for me if it does, since I will be polishing a waxing at this time as well.

The last question that I had was regarding polishing. At this time, I don't have the funds to purchase pc, so I will be doing it by hand. I wanted to know what kind of applicator I should apply with. I bought a few of those microfiber applicators from you. Will those work?

Matthaios 02-25-2009 02:50 PM

I just got my order in from you yesterday and now I'm wishing I bought a couple more things. I hate how that works out. You should open up a store on the west coast . Preferably around San Francisco, so I can just go to the store to pick up products.

Anyways, after doing more research I've come across a few questions. I have been trying to get some info on detailing the engine bay. I was hoping you might have some tips/tricks that could share. Also, what kinda things do I have to be careful of? (i.e. I read somewhere saying to cover the alternator with a plastic baggie). Also, I purchased the foamaster gun from you and was wondering if it would be ok to put some poorboys APC in it and use it under the hood.

While I was considering doing this, I wanted to know if the poorboys APC would be ok on the paint as well. If it is, will it remove sealant/wax? This may be a good thing for me if it does, since I will be polishing a waxing at this time as well.

The last question that I had was regarding polishing. At this time, I don't have the funds to purchase pc, so I will be doing it by hand. I wanted to know what kind of applicator I should apply with. I bought a few of those microfiber applicators from you. Will those work?

g35ryder19 02-26-2009 11:56 AM

hey dave i was giving a whole box of those orange shammys u see on tv the shamwows i wnated to know if there truley safe to use on the car

Detailed Image 02-26-2009 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by g35ryder19 (Post 3957473)
hey dave i was giving a whole box of those orange shammys u see on tv the shamwows i wnated to know if there truley safe to use on the car

There are certainly better options out there. Chamois are flat and when you trap dirt and other contamination under them, they simply drag across the paint. Investing in a quality waffle weave drying towel gives you pockets for contamination to get pulled into away from the paints surface. Chances are they will absorb more water as well.

Cheers,

George

g35ryder19 02-26-2009 06:58 PM

oh ok ya i found that out today that the shammy sucks it gave my dads fx35 swirls not bad but when the sun hits it u can see em ima have to do full detail on it this summer with pb srr2 and ssr1

Wannabe6MT 03-01-2009 03:36 PM

Few Questions.

I bought a PC and it came with a whole bunch of pads.

When i was trying it out, i used a white one. It didnt work very well for the deeper scratches, or very many scratches as well.

I have an orange one, black ones, and i think a couple other colors. I think the white is a finishing pad, correct?

This brings me to my second question, how do i clean it? When i tried cleaning my white one, it was stained and the stuff wouldnt come out unless i sat there for like, an hour.

ttrank 03-01-2009 06:22 PM

Starting with softest.

Blue - finish (I use sealant with this one)
Black - finish (I use final polish with this one)
White - Polish, use with medium to light polish
Orange - Polish, use with medium polish
Yellow - Polish, use with heavy polish

I use this setup:

Wash with either PB Super Slick & Suds or Maxi Suds and have found the Foamaster Foam gun saves a lot of time.
What works well with it is a hose splitter and another spray gun to wash it off as the foamaster gun does not have different spray patterns.

Dry with a waffle weave towel.

I used an old Zaino clay bar I had sitting around
For Polish:
Power Gloss with a yellow pad on the deep scratch places.
Intensive Polish with an orange pad on the whole car.
PO106FF with a white pad on the whole car.
PO85RD with a black pad on the whole car.

Wipe down the car with Top Inspection Spray

Then for Sealant:
FMJ with a blue pad on the whole car.

Wax tomorrow or Tuesday with a coat or two of Natty's red wax by hand.

-Tim

Wannabe6MT 03-01-2009 06:25 PM

How about cleaning the pads?

elayman 03-01-2009 06:28 PM

did you try using some dawn or whatever it's called

Wannabe6MT 03-01-2009 06:33 PM

No, that should clean it up?

elayman 03-01-2009 06:35 PM

I believe so, I think it eats through wax and stuff so I'd assume it'd clean that, but you might want to wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer in case that will ruin the pads :P

Wannabe6MT 03-01-2009 06:42 PM

lol do you buff your car?

ttrank 03-01-2009 07:15 PM

I use snappy pad cleaner and then a hot water wash.