G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Care & Detailing (https://g35driver.com/forums/care-detailing-22/)
-   -   Sealant & Wax Product Recommendations for Infiniti Paints (https://g35driver.com/forums/care-detailing/223040-sealant-wax-product-recommendations-infiniti-paints.html)

Detailed Image 05-23-2008 11:47 AM

Sealant & Wax Product Recommendations for Infiniti Paints

Shane (Garnet Canuck) PM'd me about putting together a thread about the various products we offer along with which colors they would work best with. I think this is a great idea because I often get asked, "Which sealant and wax do you recommend for my color G". Selecting the appropriate product can be overwhelming when there is so many options out there. This will give everyone a quick reference on what I feel works best on their paint based on my personal experience. I'm pulling the colors from the Infiniti website, so if I've missed any previous year colors, please let me know and I'll be sure to update them.

Quick Listing of Sealant Recommendations:
Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109
- Garnet Ember
- Lakeshore Slate
- Black Obsidian
- Liquid Platinum
- Platinum Graphite
- Blue Slate
- Desert Platinum
- Ivory Pearl

Chemical Guys M-Seal Sealant:
- Lakeshore Slate
- Liquid Platinum
- Desert Platinum
- Ivory Pearl

Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket:
- Garnet Ember
- Lakeshore Slate
- Black Obsidian
- Liquid Platinum
- Platinum Graphite
- Blue Slate
- Desert Platinum
- Ivory Pearl

Poorboy's World EX Sealant:
- Garnet Ember
- Black Obsidian
- Platinum Graphite
- Blue Slate

Poorboy's World EX-P Sealant:
- Lakeshore Slate
- Liquid Platinum
- Desert Platinum
- Ivory Pearl

Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant:
- Garnet Ember
- Black Obsidian
- Platinum Graphite
- Blue Slate

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze:
- Lakeshore Slate
- Liquid Platinum
- Desert Platinum
- Ivory Pearl

Quick Listing of Wax Recommendations:
Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Carnauba Wax:
Best used over Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 or M-Seal
- Garnet Ember
- Lakeshore Slate
- Black Obsidian
- Liquid Platinum
- Platinum Graphite
- Blue Slate
- Desert Platinum
- Ivory Pearl

Chemical Guys Pete's '53 Paste Wax:
Best used over Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 or M-Seal
- Garnet Ember
- Black Obsidian
- Platinum Graphite
- Blue Slate

Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax:
Best used over Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant
- Garnet Ember
- Black Obsidian
- Platinum Graphite
- Blue Slate

Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax:
Best used over Jet Seal 109 or Menzerna FMJ
- Garnet Ember
- Black Obsidian
- Platinum Graphite
- Blue Slate

P21S Concours Carnauba Wax:
Best used over Poorboy's EX-P, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Menzerna FMJ
- Lakeshore Slate
- Liquid Platinum
- Desert Platinum
- Ivory Pearl

P21S 100% Carnauba Wax:

- Garnet Ember
- Lakeshore Slate
- Black Obsidian
- Liquid Platinum
- Platinum Graphite
- Blue Slate
- Desert Platinum
- Ivory Pearl

Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax:
Best used over Poorboy's EX-P or EX Sealants
- Garnet Ember
- Black Obsidian
- Platinum Graphite
- Blue Slate

If you notice, I pretty much broke it down into lighter colors and darker colors. Certain products will yield better results on specific types of paint, whether it's a flat color, metallic paint, light or dark. I'd like to emphasize that prep work (wash, clay, polish) is where 90% or more of the results are derived from, not the end product selection. However assuming the paint is prepped as best as possible, the sealant and waxes can enhance the finish even further. Some colors are tough to classify as well, like Platinum Graphite. I figure this is a pretty good starting point.

I'll try to put together some pictures of details our customers performed and try to give a brief explanation of my thoughts on the products.

http://www.detailedimage.com/pics/pr...tSeal109-S.gif
Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 Sealant - This is one of our newer sealants and is making waves in the auto detailing industry. This product is very easy to apply and remove, offers some great durability and has a sharp, clear, reflective look to it. At $2.50 / ounce it's a little pricier than other sealants, but to many, the results are worth it.

Here's a picture of Jet Seal 109 on a black G37 posted on MyG37.com.
http://www.detailedimage.com/pics/cu...JetSeal109.jpg
http://www.detailedimage.com/pics/cu...tSeal109-1.jpg

Detailed Image 05-23-2008 11:47 AM

Reserved for more content

Detailed Image 05-23-2008 11:48 AM

Reserved again for more info

blueboxer 05-23-2008 12:02 PM

Any chance of getting some group buys so we can take a swing at the new P21S 100% or CG's 50/50? :)

Garnet Canuck 05-23-2008 02:07 PM

That's exactly what I had in mind George, thanks so much for putting this together. :biggthumpup:

redlude97 05-23-2008 02:46 PM

Why no diamond graphite =(

Swivel 05-23-2008 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by redlude97
Why no diamond graphite =(

Nor Emerald Mist? I'll just go with 'works for dark colours' but it is a bit of a unique colour since it is quite metallic.

EDIT: That sounded ungrateful, it wasn't meant to be. Honestly appreciate the list! :biggthumpup:

redlude97 05-23-2008 03:17 PM

Lol, i was just kidding, DG and platinum graphite a pretty similar, and I already have a pretty good understanding of sealant choices for colors. This list is great for noobs to the detailing world though, good job George and Shane!

Detailed Image 05-23-2008 03:18 PM

No worries, I just pulled the colors off of the Infiniti paint options from the website. I'll be tweaking and adding to the list over the weekend. Does anyone know specifically which paints were metallic or not? I can do some fine tuning based off of that as well, the website didn't really indicate anything.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

George

Garnet Canuck 05-23-2008 04:45 PM

George, here is what I know of off the top of my head regarding the 07/08 Sedans. Some of the colors are the same for previous years as well.

Garnet Ember, 3 stage pearl
Lakeshore Slate, Metallic
Serengeti Sand, 3 stage metallic
Black Obsidian, 2 stage solid
Twilight Blue, 2 stage pearl
Platinum Ice/Platinum Graphite, Metallic
Diamond Graphite, Metallic
Ivory Pearl, 3 stage pearl
Blue Onyx/Blue Slate, Pearl metallic

blueboxer 05-23-2008 11:09 PM

Nice list, I totally agree with the P21S 100% Carnauba being great for light colored cars and metallics. It is the only wax that really made my white pearl pop the way I wanted. However Natty's Blue Paste Wax offered a very similiar look on darker vehicles after the second coat was applied. Definately a cost effective wax for darker cars. Good post and great guy to deal with. :)

P21S 100% Carnauba
http://www.detailedimage.com/pics/products/P2-CCW-M.gif

Natty's Blue Paste Wax
http://www.detailedimage.com/pics/pr...PW-NBlue-M.gif

Scrooge 05-24-2008 12:20 AM

I like Collinite 845, OCW v2 and Duragloss 111 on Diamond graphite.

BALLINassG35 05-26-2008 12:00 AM

Thanks for the helpful info George! +1 for the Natty's paste wax! 2 coats on my OB G35 and it SHINES.

RPF 05-29-2008 04:50 PM

George,

Thanks for the recommendations! I have a couple of questions on some products for my OB G37:

I'd like to use the CG Jetseal 109 sealant, but the waxes that you recommend to use with this sealant are quite expensive ($54/$69). Have you tried the Natty's blue over this sealant? At $19 and with everyone saying that it works great on black, I'd like to try this wax before having to move up to the more expensive CG waxes.

My car came with a ton of hologramming courtesy of the dealer's not-so-great prep team. Since delivery, I got a bird bomb that caused some slight etching on the hood. Would the Menzerna PO106ff polisb be strong enough to handle these issues or would there be a stronger polish that you would recommend to handle these before finishing with the 106ff?

I'd be applying the liquid products with a dual-action polisher that I received as a present a few years ago. It was from Griots Garage and uses a Porter Cable 97366 motor assembly with a velcro backing plate of just under 6" in diameter. I still have a few unused "red" wax pads and "orange" polishing pads from them. Could I use these with the sealants/polishes I mentioned or do you have some other recommendations on pads that would work better with this buffer and these products?

Thanks!

blueboxer 05-29-2008 06:14 PM

The Menzerna PO106ff will work perfectly with the orange pad for some decent cutting pad for the heavier swirling, you can also switch to a white pad for a second coat with less cutting power or a finishing polish with the white pad. Use the finishing pads to apply a glaze or sealant. I just used the Natty's over the FMJ and was pleased with the results. It took the second coat to get me there, but the shine is great and the application and removal was fairly easy. I still prefer the P21S, but as a lot of others have said, it's durability is a weakness.

Scrooge 05-29-2008 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by blueboxer
Any chance of getting some group buys so we can take a swing at the new P21S 100% or CG's 50/50? :)

Yeah can we start a group buy. I would love anyone of this wax's

Detailed Image 05-29-2008 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by RPF
George,

Thanks for the recommendations! I have a couple of questions on some products for my OB G37:

I'd like to use the CG Jetseal 109 sealant, but the waxes that you recommend to use with this sealant are quite expensive ($54/$69). Have you tried the Natty's blue over this sealant? At $19 and with everyone saying that it works great on black, I'd like to try this wax before having to move up to the more expensive CG waxes.

My car came with a ton of hologramming courtesy of the dealer's not-so-great prep team. Since delivery, I got a bird bomb that caused some slight etching on the hood. Would the Menzerna PO106ff polisb be strong enough to handle these issues or would there be a stronger polish that you would recommend to handle these before finishing with the 106ff?

I'd be applying the liquid products with a dual-action polisher that I received as a present a few years ago. It was from Griots Garage and uses a Porter Cable 97366 motor assembly with a velcro backing plate of just under 6" in diameter. I still have a few unused "red" wax pads and "orange" polishing pads from them. Could I use these with the sealants/polishes I mentioned or do you have some other recommendations on pads that would work better with this buffer and these products?

Thanks!

Blueboxer offered some great advice. You certainly can top the Jet Seal 109 with Natty's Blue for some great results. Natty's Blue usually requires 2 or 3 coats to really get the pop and wet look. Remember, sealants require 24 hours to fully cure and waxes ~12 hours so space it out accordingly for maximum results.

The reason I typically recommend keeping the sealant / wax combo within the same brand is because often there is some synergy created between them and there's almost no bonding issues. In the two products you mentioned, Jet Seal and Natty's Blue, you shouldn't see any bonding issues.

Regarding the polish, PO106FF should do a great job on the hologramming you are describing, however the bird dropping etching may be another story. I've seen bird bombs that come out w/ PO106FF and some that require wet sanding to completely remove. It's really all depending on how deep it has etched into your clear.

Certainly use the pads you already have. As Blueboxer mentioned, consider picking up a white polishing pad (or equivalent) to follow up from the orange cutting pad. Sometimes the more aggressive pads can leave behind micro-marring which can be corrected with a finer pad combo.

Let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with.

George

Detailed Image 05-29-2008 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Scrooge
Yeah can we start a group buy. I would love anyone of this wax's

Let me think of a way to run a group buy on some products and I'll post something up. I'll have something for next week.

George

blueboxer 05-29-2008 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Let me think of a way to run a group buy on some products and I'll post something up. I'll have something for next week.

George

That would be great, I am anxious to try the Pete's 53 or 50/50. We can all have a detail off and post some pics. :)

PS- thanks for getting the last order out so quickly, it got here a day early too.

RPF 05-30-2008 12:47 AM

Blueboxer offered some great advice. You certainly can top the Jet Seal 109 with Natty's Blue for some great results. Natty's Blue usually requires 2 or 3 coats to really get the pop and wet look. Remember, sealants require 24 hours to fully cure and waxes ~12 hours so space it out accordingly for maximum results.

Wow! What great info. I knew about letting sealant cure but didn't know that you needed to do it for wax as well! Do you recommend multiple coats of the JS109 as well or just the wax?

The reason I typically recommend keeping the sealant / wax combo within the same brand is because often there is some synergy created between them and there's almost no bonding issues. In the two products you mentioned, Jet Seal and Natty's Blue, you shouldn't see any bonding issues.

Regarding the polish, PO106FF should do a great job on the hologramming you are describing, however the bird dropping etching may be another story. I've seen bird bombs that come out w/ PO106FF and some that require wet sanding to completely remove. It's really all depending on how deep it has etched into your clear.

The bird bombs on this car are similar to ones that I have been able to remove on other cars with a combination of Meguiars #1, #9 and #26 (medium-cut cleaner, swirl remover, yellow wax) using terry cloth pads on an old 10" Sears random-orbit buffer. This car definitely deserves better treatment than that!

From what I've read on this forum, the PO106ff seems to be a "miracle worker", but I'm not familiar enough with it to know if it will take care of defects such as this. Is there a slightly more aggressive polish/pad that you'd recommend or should I just keep going over the affected area with the PO106ff until the spot is gone?

Certainly use the pads you already have. As Blueboxer mentioned, consider picking up a white polishing pad (or equivalent) to follow up from the orange cutting pad. Sometimes the more aggressive pads can leave behind micro-marring which can be corrected with a finer pad combo.

Let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with.

George

I'll definitely pick up one of those white pads once I figure out what other goodies to buy from you. Thanks for your help and all the great info you have given the community!

Joaquin03 05-30-2008 12:53 AM

Thanks for the info George! And thanks mods for stickying..

OctoMan 06-01-2008 12:28 AM

Shane (Garnet Canuck) PM'd me about putting together a thread about the various products we offer along with which colors they would work best with. I think this is a great idea because I often get asked, "Which sealant and wax do you recommend for my color G". Selecting the appropriate product can be overwhelming when there is so many options out there. This will give everyone a quick reference on what I feel works best on their paint based on my personal experience. I'm pulling the colors from the Infiniti website, so if I've missed any previous year colors, please let me know and I'll be sure to update them.

Where does Athens Blue fall into the list of sealants and waxes?

Glycerine 06-01-2008 04:57 PM

Struggling with this myself. Customer can only leave it with me for a day, and does not park in a garage. I'd really like to do sealant, dwg, sealant, wax but doesn't appear time is on my side :(

Going with a sealant on a MB metallic black (just ordered some jet seal from you due to the pics in this thread ;) ). Figured after paint correction, i'd apply DWG, give it at least 30 mins, then top with jet seal and send him on his way. ...But with the instruction to rinse the car off the next day and apply some AquaWax spray wax as LSP.

Aquawax is decent enough stuff, locally available, and easy for him to do. Get him into the habit of washing it, and applying some aquawax to keep the protection until it's time to reapply the sealant.

Am I doing him a disservice with this routine? Any reason why i wouldn't want to put some DWG on there before the jet seal?

SCoupe 06-01-2008 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Glycerine
Struggling with this myself. Customer can only leave it with me for a day, and does not park in a garage. I'd really like to do sealant, dwg, sealant, wax but doesn't appear time is on my side :(

Going with a sealant on a MB metallic black (just ordered some jet seal from you due to the pics in this thread ;) ). Figured after paint correction, i'd apply DWG, give it at least 30 mins, then top with jet seal and send him on his way. ...But with the instruction to rinse the car off the next day and apply some AquaWax spray wax as LSP.

Aquawax is decent enough stuff, locally available, and easy for him to do. Get him into the habit of washing it, and applying some aquawax to keep the protection until it's time to reapply the sealant.

Am I doing him a disservice with this routine? Any reason why i wouldn't want to put some DWG on there before the jet seal?

Recent experience says no need for DWG over jetseal. It does layer nicely over wax tho.

madnaz 06-11-2008 03:52 PM

No Brilliant Silver?

Edit:I didn't mean for that to sound like :mad:, I was just wondering

Glycerine 06-11-2008 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by madnaz
No Brilliant Silver?

Edit:I didn't mean for that to sound like :mad:, I was just wondering

BS=LP for the most part.

bigugly78cj5 06-12-2008 12:04 AM

any reccomendations for laser red?...

madnaz 06-13-2008 12:11 AM

Thanks Glycerine

jdoria 04-04-2009 06:22 PM

I recently stopped using Zaino on my 07 G35 and moved to Optimum.

I cant believe how it works on ivory pearl. Insane slickness, gloss, and ease-of-use.

worldcrafter 11-06-2009 02:33 PM

darn too bad i read this thread a day after i bought blackfire wet diamond for my white g... tried it out on my hood and front fenders after final polishing with PO85RD, added 2 coats with 1/2 hour time between each application. the shine is a little better, but not by much. but the slickness--oh man, unbelievable! never felt any LSP this slick ever.

worldcrafter 11-06-2009 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by jdoria (Post 4089222)
I recently stopped using Zaino on my 07 G35 and moved to Optimum.

I cant believe how it works on ivory pearl. Insane slickness, gloss, and ease-of-use.

what product are you talking about, opti-seal? My car's the same color, I tried it out on my right door, gotta see what it looks like in daytime heh

jdoria 11-06-2009 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by worldcrafter (Post 4681263)
what product are you talking about, opti-seal? My car's the same color, I tried it out on my right door, gotta see what it looks like in daytime heh

All of them.

Opti-Seal
Poli-Seal
Optimum Car Wax

Joaquin03 02-08-2010 08:12 AM

I recently ordered and used "Dodo Juice - Purple Haze" on my Obsidian Black G coupe and I can tell you, the results were amazing!

slim17265 02-08-2010 09:53 AM

looking through my owners manual they make reference to base coat / clear coat...as I have desert platinum which looks a little dull. I would be looking for someone to corroberate if it in fact does have clear coat. Using any kind of abrasives on clear coat as I already know that Japanese paints are very thin one should use very little polish. washing and using clear wax only is best.

jonnylaw 02-08-2010 01:10 PM

I've had great results with blackfire's line of products on my DG coupe (polish/wet-diamond sealant, etc.)

Boba 03-04-2010 10:43 PM

I personally don't believe that using the "appropriate" wax will enhance a specific color paint of your car. Even if it does, the difference will be extremely subtle. For all the top brand name waxes that cost 2x, even 3x+ as much as the typical wax, all you are paying is the brand name. Mind you, I do car detailing as a hobby though, but I'd say I know enough about the subject to have a word or two about it... :)

My car with Meguiar's Synthetic Sealant 2.1 (Roughly ~$20, waxes up
to 30 cars).
https://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4782/dsc06966q.jpg

Another with Synthetic Sealant 2.1
https://img709.imageshack.us/img709/4384/32465681.jpg

akw 04-16-2010 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by OctoMan (Post 3073286)

+1

Ive been using Chemical Guys Pro Polish+ and M-seal, it brought out a really nice shine, but is there another product that would be better for athens blue?

rhoward15 04-17-2010 05:06 PM

cool info

Bobalude 04-21-2010 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by OctoMan (Post 3073286)

same Q here too

jibberjabbers 05-12-2010 10:43 PM

Mothers Ultimate 3-step wax.

1st use.
Cleaner wax - Sealer Glaze - Pure canuba wax.

And there after..
Cleaner wax - Pure carnuba wax.

(I haven't used sealer glaze in a while). Only when I use a scratch remove to touch up a spot. I go over with a sealer glaze followed by a coat of wax.

https://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7725/sdc12700.jpg
https://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6162/71330051.png

tksam 09-09-2010 11:07 AM

ok thanks for that we did need something like that long time ago , but i have 2004 g35 with Gray Met any advise what kind of wax should i use for that ?

LMG_35C 09-09-2010 07:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant is the best that I've used. The metallic blue (TB) has never been brighter. Depth, gloss and slikness are incredible.

I really think the nubas and other waxes were muting the color even though they provided good reflection and shine. BFWD made a night and day difference.

I first prepped the finish with a good wash, clay and then Megs 205 machine polish. BFWD itself was an easy on easy off process.

realgone 09-13-2010 03:05 PM

Is it a good idea to wax the car fist ant then apply sealant?

Just got a new Acura and am a former G35 Coupe driver. The car is white and I am sure it has been waxed by the dealer. Should I now apply sealant. They tried to sell me this at the dealership for a hefty price, but I would love to do it myself.

LMG_35C 09-14-2010 08:06 PM

generally, a sealant is applied and needs to cure before waxing, if waxing is needed at all.
Some people apply carnuba on top of other "sealants" or "sealant-waxes" to get a deeper finish or for more protection. I used to "top" Megs NXT or M21 Synthetic sealant-wax with Meg's Carnuba (M26) for these reasons. No wax is needed on top of Blackfire and I don't think anything could give you a deeper, brighter or slicker gloss, and so far its 1x durability is better than those other multi-coat processes.

realgone 09-14-2010 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by LMG_35C (Post 5353798)
generally, a sealant is applied and needs to cure before waxing, if waxing is needed at all.
Some people apply carnuba on top of other "sealants" or "sealant-waxes" to get a deeper finish or for more protection. I used to "top" Megs NXT or M21 Synthetic sealant-wax with Meg's Carnuba (M26) for these reasons. No wax is needed on top of Blackfire and I don't think anything could give you a deeper, brighter or slicker gloss, and so far its 1x durability is better than those other multi-coat processes.

Should I try to remove the wax that is on there now. I think that a good wash in Palmolive would do the trick.

What do you all think is the best sealant. The above mentioned Blackfire, but I was really interested in the jetseal109. That stuff looks awesome.

It will be going on my new White TL with was from the dealership.

Mike9 02-22-2011 11:03 PM

Best sealant for carbon fiber hoods?

never gone 02-23-2011 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mike9 (Post 5695650)
Best sealant for carbon fiber hoods?

There is no "best." I can't think of any sealant you can't use on cf. My personal fav sealant for everything is blackfire wet diamond.

G35SedanGrn 02-23-2011 03:43 AM

I guess I don't get to wax my car :( I didn't make the list :(

Mike9 02-23-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by never gone (Post 5696053)
There is no "best." I can't think of any sealant you can't use on cf. My personal fav sealant for everything is blackfire wet diamond.

Thanks buddy

FiveWunOh 01-26-2012 09:41 PM

OMG please put all Optimum products on sale again in February! Im waiting for my tax refund to buy a crapload of products!! =(