G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Care & Detailing (https://g35driver.com/forums/care-detailing-22/)
-   -   Stupid question about tinting on your car (https://g35driver.com/forums/care-detailing/25752-stupid-question-about-tinting-your-car.html)

Pratik 06-01-2004 12:10 PM

Stupid question about tinting on your car

Hey all, stupid question. I was told our factory tint is around 70-75%. I wanted to stay legal on my tint so if I get my car tinted at 35% around, that would make it even darker than a real 35% tint because of my original tint correct?

I believe osmeone on this forum said in order for you to get 35% tint, I would have to get 50% tint and then you multiply say .75 (the factory tint) * .50 (the new tint put on) and i'd get the 35% tint that way. Just wondering if you guys that are getting 35% tint, if its staying legal or its actually darker than 35%.

Thanks for any help on this.

gto2050 06-01-2004 12:16 PM

Re: Stupid question about tinting on your car

There ain't no factory tint to my knowledge. If it is, it is not visible at all. I went with 30%

ghost320 06-01-2004 02:17 PM

there is a really light tint on the widow to begin with. i got 35% on mine it's really nice. dont get 50% it's a waste of money IMO.

startertan 06-01-2004 02:50 PM

Yeah the factory tint is like 75%. I would definitely NOT recommend 50% tint on your car. You'll barely be able to tell it's there and you'll regret it. I've had 35% tint on my car for 8 months now and I've had no problems. I'm actually thinking of going back and getting it darkened up.

Live in the MD/DC/PA/VA area?
PM me to join the Capital G club!!!

Pratik 06-01-2004 03:13 PM

Well I do want 35% tint on the car. However that was my question. In order to get 35% tint don't I have to get 50% tint so that would make it 35% total. Is my logic correct? I would think if I just went to the shop and said I want 35% then it would actually be darker than that because I already have 75% say on it. I know 50% isn't worth it at all since its so light.

MrElussive 06-01-2004 03:14 PM

There is only a light blue UV tint on the side windows. It doesn't make the windows look darker at all and it won't make a window tint look darker than normal.
I just had my side windows tinted at 15% (had my rear big window tinted at 15% before, but never had the side windows done until now) and it looks great. If you don't want to look like a drug dealer, then get 15% or 35%, but don't get 50%. 50% is just way too light, it's like it's not even tinted.

MrElussive
03 G35C 6MT

Z2G 06-01-2004 03:53 PM

definitely don't get 50%. i stupidly got it and regret it now. at the time, i thought it was a good idea since many ppl including myself have been ticketed in my area for darker tints. however, when looking at it now, i think it's way too light and would definitely get the next level up in darkness---who cares about the cops and just risk getting the ticket : )

Pratik 06-01-2004 04:36 PM

Well 35% is legal here in Maryland so it looks like I'll be going for that. I was just thinking that it would "technically" be darker than 35% because of the factory tint that is on there already (albeit, even if it is only 75%)

kytran40 06-01-2004 04:39 PM

i got 35 fronts and i dont think its dark enough. most cops in the city dont care about tints. i know a ton of ppl with 5% that live in the city. just go with 35 to be on the safe side

startertan 06-01-2004 06:16 PM

pratik,

Where in MD are you? If you're interested we can meet up and you can check out my tint since I have 35%. My friend's brother is a cop and he said that a car with 35% tint registers as being 33% so yes technically it's illegal. The 2% diff I believe is from the factory tint.

Live in the MD/DC/PA/VA area?
PM me to join the Capital G club!!!

Pratik 06-01-2004 07:26 PM

I'm in Montgomery County... I see you work for Lockheed Martin. I used to work for them in Bethesda.

skeleton_cru 06-02-2004 06:01 AM

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the 50% tint still cuts UV rays and heat significantly. Just because it's a lighter tint doesn't mean it's not working.

http://www.bui4ever.com/albums/album04/aah.jpg

ghost320 06-05-2004 12:41 PM

The % reading is on the roll not on you windows so most tints will read darker by a few % then they are labeled on the roll. I'd still say get the 35-30% It's a very nice darkness especially if youre new to tints. this is my first set on my own car so i didnt want to get them too dark. I could without a doubt go to 20-15% now that I'm used to them.

jbaggy 06-09-2004 02:21 PM

Has anybody had any experience with mirror tint? I have seen a few cars with it but I am unsure if that is the way to go for my G. If anybody has any pics that would be helpful. What do u guys think, mirror or no mirror?