G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Care & Detailing (https://g35driver.com/forums/care-detailing-22/)
-   -   Clay again? (https://g35driver.com/forums/care-detailing/462793-clay-again.html)

sonors 03-03-2018 03:49 PM

Clay again?

About 4-5 weeks ago I washed, clayed, polished then waxed my car. Applied a second coat of wax a couple of weeks later. I have decided to do the Klasse twins, the AIO followed by the High Gloss Glaze. Do I need to do another clay before this or can I just do a dawn wash and proceed to the AIO? I hate claying!

FreshLikeAG 03-03-2018 04:31 PM

I dont think anyone can tell you to clay your car but yourself. It's all based off feel. Run your hand along the paint. Does it feel bumpy and gritty? Then clay.
Doesn't hurt to clay before doing any big detail though

cleric670 03-03-2018 05:11 PM

I would definitely do another clay before the Klasse AOI and sealant glaze, that stuff is rock hard and lasts almost a year so you will be trapping particles under it.

Shouldn't take long though just a quick wipe down since you're not going to find much due to having just clayed it.

You want the sealant to fill any holes from debris not create a bulged spot that is going to be quickly worn off.

FreshLikeAG 03-03-2018 07:07 PM

Is the dawn wash to remove the first layers of wax? Seems a little strong for a car wash

cleric670 03-03-2018 07:41 PM

Also, claying the car will remove all the wax residue which is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT! Granted the AIO will remove trace wax as well but if you get any wax under the sealant glaze it will turn to a haze from UV damage and you can end up with wierd patchy hazy white spots under the sealant and I speak from experience when I say Klasse sealant glaze is an absolute BITCH to try to remove.

sonors 03-03-2018 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG (Post 7132075)
Is the dawn wash to remove the first layers of wax? Seems a little strong for a car wash

Yes

sonors 03-03-2018 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7132076)
Also, claying the car will remove all the wax residue which is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT! Granted the AIO will remove trace wax as well but if you get any wax under the sealant glaze it will turn to a haze from UV damage and you can end up with wierd patchy hazy white spots under the sealant and I speak from experience when I say Klasse sealant glaze is an absolute BITCH to try to remove.

So, a pre-clay wash with dawn soap is not needed?

cleric670 03-03-2018 07:58 PM

I'm a bit lost what the dawn soap is for, I've never used it before because I just stick to car wash solutions.

My concern would be the dawn soap leaving residue or being too pH harsh and damaging your skin, I've been chemical burned by the wrong mix of dish soap and it's no fun having scaly hands for a few weeks as your body heals :(

Usually car-specific cleaners are pH balanced to not harm your skin or the vehicle (it would have to be SEVERELY off to hurt the vehicle which withstands all the pH extreme crap that rains from the heavens) and also contain a mild lubricant so your wash mitt glides easily across the surface to prevent micro scratches and swirling.

sonors 03-03-2018 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7132081)
I'm a bit lost what the dawn soap is for, I've never used it before because I just stick to car wash solutions.

My concern would be the dawn soap leaving residue or being too pH harsh and damaging your skin, I've been chemical burned by the wrong mix of dish soap and it's no fun having scaly hands for a few weeks as your body heals :(

Usually car-specific cleaners are pH balanced to not harm your skin or the vehicle (it would have to be SEVERELY off to hurt the vehicle which withstands all the pH extreme crap that rains from the heavens) and also contain a mild lubricant so your wash mitt glides easily across the surface to prevent micro scratches and swirling.

I have read in many places that a wash with dawn soap will remove any wax already on the car. This will give the sealant the most grease less surface to bond to. If the clay or AIO will remove the wax then I would skip the dawn.