Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How-to: chip repair/wetsanding (and some obligatory polishing!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^+1 - whs

Old 04-20-2006, 04:39 PM
thank you.

how about making a How-to section? good write up w/ flicks.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:23 AM
I am a complete novice but I followed your instructions on how to fix a scratch on the hood of my black G and it worked 95%. I don't know how to proceed and I was hoping for some direction.

I used a matching pen paint with the toothpick. (Very patiently over two days.) I ended up with the blob. I left it for a week. I did everything you said. I bought unigrit 2500, I soaked it overnight, I sanded carefully in one direction with regular soapy water, I got the blob level with the paint (I think.) I wiped it away with alcohol water. I crapped myself!

I then used Pinnacle Fine Swirl remover XMT with the PC just like you said (3 and then 6) with an orange pad. (I spent so much on buying the PC and the products it came with from Autogeek, I didn't want to buy more and it sounded like it was the same as you were recommending.)

It worked very well to remove all the scratching from the sandpaper. In fact up to there it was much easier than I expected.

The problem is that I can still see the marring. It looks like an very slight lump in the paint when you see it in the reflection and it has sort of white flecks in it. I repeated the process at least ten times and it got much better but it is still there.

It looks to me like the problem is that it is indented where the scratch was and not converse or above the rest of the paint. I got nervous and stopped. Maybe the paint dried with bubbles in it and those are now small holes in the scar?

One of my other questions is how many times can I keep going over it with the PC. Is there a point at which you are just screwing up the paint?

Your instructions were brilliant! I have confidence that I could do it again following them and do even better. The question is should I? Is there a way to remove the paint added or sand down what I have done and start again? Should I?

Any help appreciated.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe use some clear coat and build it up to the right level.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Make this thread a sticky please.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by superchargedg
Make this thread a sticky please.
Done!

Awesome DIY Kevin, I can't believe I missed this thread for 2 years.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks. Will the clear coat hide the white flecks in the scratch? And how many times can you sand, polish, etc. before it is a problem for the paint?

Picus, any advice? Please .....

Old 08-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Done!

Thanks as i am getting ready to fix a few chips and this is a great DIY.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I really want to do this but Im scared haha. My car is BS though...might not be that easy to see mistakes.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Foresite
Thanks. Will the clear coat hide the white flecks in the scratch? And how many times can you sand, polish, etc. before it is a problem for the paint?

Picus, any advice? Please .....
everytime you sand and polish you remove some of the clear coat. the strength of the polish and the amount of times you sand / polish will result in how much clear coat you remove. i don't think you can really tell how much clear coat you've removed unless you measure the paint.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Ha better late than never. This is an excellent article; was really suprised when I found it on Autopia and not G35Driver (didn't know it was buried ).

Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
thanks for the thread man..Great work

Old 08-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Done!

Same here!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Foresite
I am a complete novice but I followed your instructions on how to fix a scratch on the hood of my black G and it worked 95%. I don't know how to proceed and I was hoping for some direction.

I used a matching pen paint with the toothpick. (Very patiently over two days.) I ended up with the blob. I left it for a week. I did everything you said. I bought unigrit 2500, I soaked it overnight, I sanded carefully in one direction with regular soapy water, I got the blob level with the paint (I think.) I wiped it away with alcohol water. I crapped myself!

I then used Pinnacle Fine Swirl remover XMT with the PC just like you said (3 and then 6) with an orange pad. (I spent so much on buying the PC and the products it came with from Autogeek, I didn't want to buy more and it sounded like it was the same as you were recommending.)

It worked very well to remove all the scratching from the sandpaper. In fact up to there it was much easier than I expected.

The problem is that I can still see the marring. It looks like an very slight lump in the paint when you see it in the reflection and it has sort of white flecks in it. I repeated the process at least ten times and it got much better but it is still there.

It looks to me like the problem is that it is indented where the scratch was and not converse or above the rest of the paint. I got nervous and stopped. Maybe the paint dried with bubbles in it and those are now small holes in the scar?

One of my other questions is how many times can I keep going over it with the PC. Is there a point at which you are just screwing up the paint?

Your instructions were brilliant! I have confidence that I could do it again following them and do even better. The question is should I? Is there a way to remove the paint added or sand down what I have done and start again? Should I?

Any help appreciated.
Sorry for the late reply. If it were me at this point I'd leave that spot alone. Hitting an area with a moderate to heavy combo via PC ten times will definitely reduce your clear a reasonable amount. Better to live with the slight marring that's left than go through the clear and need a respray.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:32 AM
I recently purchased an 06 Coupe and it has a 1/10 of an inch chip in the paint on the fender and it has rust on it. What is the best way to clean the rust off? If the best way is to wet sand it do I just try to wet sand in the chip pit or feather it out and with what grit sand paper?

After I apply the touch-up paint and wet sand it smooth using 2000-3000 grit do I need to buff it smooth before I clear it? Also what kind of clear coat should I use? Just regular auto krylon clear?

I am assuming after i clear I need to wet sand again right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How-to: chip repair/wetsanding (and some obligatory polishing!)