Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Turning off/disabling VDC (For real.)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX
Everyone who claims the VDC does not step-in if the driver hits the brake pedal should go try it.

It was extremely obvious when I tried it on my 05 coupe that the VDC was applying BRAKES to my rear wheels, fighting my attempt to spin the tires, because I was applying the brakes. With the switch off and no brakes, I could spin tires all I want.
I never try to burnout with brakes so I can't comment. I can also pretty much freely spin wheels without VDC/traction control kicking in, in a straight line, and sometimes while turning. This is not to say VDC never kicks in when turned off during high speed corners with slide induced or in power slides or donuts, it does.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by G35Ian
thats pretty good stuff right there...besides from the vdc light being on has any CEL or anything like that come on?
CEL? No, and I don't believe anyone has indicated it has.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just like to make a comment. My 2005 G35 Sedan 6mt at MSR with VDC turned off would be OFF for most of the time, but when I almost get completely out of control the VDC STILL kicks in. It has done this many times on autox and road courses. Even when VDC is off, for some reason it will still kick in at the last moment it can. I have talked to others and they have also noticed this.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:50 AM
Yep!

I'm so happy with mine disabled now! I've had it off a couple weeks now and I'm getting to know my cars handling at the edge SO much better! Finally I can control the car in a controlled drift around exit ramps without the VDC stopping it.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Sagemark
I'm so happy with mine disabled now! I've had it off a couple weeks now and I'm getting to know my cars handling at the edge SO much better! Finally I can control the car in a controlled drift around exit ramps without the VDC stopping it.

BAN!!!! This kid will be another oh I lost control of my car and my VDC was disabled.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
[/B]

BAN!!!! This kid will be another oh I lost control of my car and my VDC was disabled.
Reasonable reaction I suppose but its been over 25 years since I taught myself to drive in a manual 5 speed, rear wheel drive 1.8 liter dual overhead cam 1976 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. Since then I've driven a million miles, from New York to California, Florida to Guatemala, San Franciso to the Baja and London to Lisbon. I've pounded out nearly 100,000 miles in my '87 and '95 Porsche 911's through the English countryside and on the Autobahn, and done over a dozen track days and a good few racing school sessions.

I might yet, but I haven't crashed a car yet. I grew up without VDC, and I simply prefer driving without it. I was amazed by the first ever stability control system available when (I believe) it was first developed by Porsche and installed in the new 996 model 911. I got to try it on the track in 1998 at Castle Coombe courtesy of Porsche UK, but I preferred my ride without it. I stuck with my pre-VDC 993 model.

Modern stability control systems are incredibly effective, near miraculous systems and a boon to safety, especially for the young, the incompetent, the lazy or the simply distracted. They are also probably fast becoming critical equipment for the new generations of drivers who are learning to drive only with them.

I think calling for a "Ban" is a little strong.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
[/B]

I have to admit that re-reading my "I'm so happy..." post it does read a bit infantile, but hey, I'm an enthusiast!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:54 AM
After talking to a knowledgeable dealership professional about VDC off functions I learned that when VDC is turned off, TCS remains on.

Exactly what the nuances between what VDC does and what TCS does, I don't know, but what I have been told is that the 350z Enthusiast model is the only model that has no TCS, so when VDC is turned off, there is no system interference. All other 350z's and all G35s have a TCS system operating at all times, regardless of whether you turn off VDC, unless the G-Sensor (also called a Yaw sensor) has been disconnected.

If you are not experiencing the TCS operating then the only possibilities are:

#1. You aren't pushing the vehicle into a condition where TCS takes action.
#2. You aren't realizing that it is taking action when it is.
#3. Your TCS system has failed or is malfunctioning (without throwing a code or warning light).
#4. The experiences of the many folks who have experienced TCS operating with VDC off all have cars that Nissan built with a different set safety system parameters than the car you happen to own AND the dealership I spoke with on the subject is misinformed on the subject.

We can all believe what we want to believe, but I strongly doubt that #3 or #4 are at all likely.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, good topic
I was puzzled why I can drift around with VDC off but I can't do standing still burnout without bogging down with my 03 coupe.

I can do this fine

but I can't do standing burnout on the waterbox @ dragstrip

Old 06-05-2008, 11:37 AM
LOL the TCS is still active when the VDC is off?

TCS stops wheelspin at the rear. VDC enhances stability by braking individual wheels. If TCS was still active when the VDC is off then it would be impossible to spin the wheels.

It's only impossible to spin the wheels if you are pressing the brake because the system is active whenever the brakes are being applied, regardless of the setting.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:57 PM
LOL the TCS is still active when the VDC is off?

TCS stops wheelspin at the rear. VDC enhances stability by braking individual wheels. If TCS was still active when the VDC is off then it would be impossible to spin the wheels.

It's only impossible to spin the wheels if you are pressing the brake because the system is active whenever the brakes are being applied, regardless of the setting.
Like you, I also thought that TCS controlled wheelspin and VDC addressed cornering/slide issues with the braking system. It sounds logical and I think that's consistent with what is described in the manual, however, turning off VDC definitely reduces the wheelspin stopping system's actions when taking off rapidly, and it does not completely turn off the systems braking actions when cornering fast/sliding.

That combined with the description of the systems I got from the dealer are the basis of why I said what I said. The apparent incongruity of the VDC/TCS functions as described and what I would expect vs what is really happening is why I also said I'm not sure of the nuances of which does exactly what.

You can "LOL" about what TCS and VDC are supposed to do and whether the terminology is correct, but if you strip it down to what's happening,
functionally and practically, what I'm saying is accurate.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:06 PM
My dealership has told me some very incorrect things in the past.

I think the extent to which it "turns off" these functions is dependent on the year of the vehicle and thus our inconsistent experiences with what we are assuming is the same system.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:05 PM
My dealership has told me some very incorrect things in the past.

I think the extent to which it "turns off" these functions is dependent on the year of the vehicle and thus our inconsistent experiences with what we are assuming is the same system.
Well, the technology learned and applied over the years affects all sorts of things from oil and coolant passages in the engine and bearings to door seals so there's no reason to think that fine tuning of the traction control couldn't have happened, especially if it was too intrusive on early models for enjoyable sport driving. (I had a BMW where the thickness of side window glass was changed two years into the model.)

Old 06-06-2008, 11:14 PM
just unplugged mine yesterday and man is it bringing back good memories of that 88 dakota on a gravel rode driving like an idiot on crack

Old 06-07-2008, 06:29 PM
I added brake fluid and the VDC off and SLIP stopped popping up

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Turning off/disabling VDC (For real.)