Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

4.08 or 3.9 gear for 06 6mt ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I wasn't talking about my car eventhough im pretty sure i will beat u as well, i was talking about OCG35 who has an auto.
My car weighs 3300lb with 1/2 gas in it.

Yes automatics are slower stock but with just a final drive change wakes our cars up including the automatic Zs.

Where are u from?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll race you for cash.. Bring it!

My friend here w/ a stock sedan destroys Z's left and right.

PM him if you want... his S/N is Sirboostalot and yes he's stock NA

Old 09-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your nuts. Really truly nuts. I dont know what Z's you have been racing.

Stock sedan!!!!!!! Lemme guess an 03 too!! And I bet hes beat 07-08 Z's also lol.

Im over this conversation, its really getting way to silly.

Im in St. Pete.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:27 PM
03 too.. correct.

He's beaten a brand new 06 Z from a light w/ 2 other people in his car.. Completely dead even and then he started to pull in 3rd.

Z's are NOTHING special.. you need to get that chip off your shoulder.. I've beat my friends Z w/ intake headers and exhaust way up top.

Go to AZ350Z.com and you'll see.

I'll get my lady friend w/ her 05 G and she'll spank you in a race

Old 09-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Your crazy. I knew you were full of sh_t as soon as u said 03 sedan. ROFL!!!

I had a 2003 Maxima Vq35 255hp before my Z and I could hang with 03-04 G35 Sedans. You need to get your **** correct. Actually my Maxima would wipe the floor of older sedans. Its lighter because of the FWD.

Your saying that a 03 Sedan 260Hp beat a 06 Rev-Up Z and the sedan had 3 passangers. I really need to start smoking the stuff your on. Maybe you won that race because the driver of the Z had a broken arml and couldnt shift his car...or maybe something on the floor of his car rolled under the gas pedal and he couldnt floor it.

Your really nuts. When my Z was stock I went racing crazy for the first 3 months and I could pull 3-4 cars instantly on any G coupe, not to mention top-end, its simply not a race. The Z will pull every time from any speed. I wouldnt even waste my gas racing a 03-04 G Sedan. There slower then Maximas. 03-04 G sedans and even coupes are the slowest of them all when it comes to these cars. Most of them cant even muster a 14.4 at the track stock.

To say u beat a Rev-up Z from a digg is crazy, u may have the tork advantage but hes got about 50 more Hp.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Depends what you're doing... and driving style.. majority of the guys that drive 6MTs (especially Gs - now I say Gs just because there are more Z guys that track vs G guys but if we take that away)..

Sedans, Chassie is a little better stiffer and they're lighter.. giving them a little bit of an advantage.. stock for stock a G Sedan to the same G Coupe SHOULD aways win (taking away driving abilities and talking about complete mechanics).. Sedans however have a smaller wheel well leaving them with a smaller tire size to push/smaller wheel.. smaller wheel = smaller tire.. I believe G sedans are a little more unbalanced then the coupes.. so when going into a turn I (in my coupe or z) can dig into it a lot better then a sedan (Assuming we all have a tire & wheel upgrade.

G Coupes.. are bigs with a long wheel base.. leaving Coupes a very poor car to auto X.. Coupes however have a nice wheel well so we can run fat tires but in the end of the day this car is too heavy to do well on a track.. its a giant pig at around 3,600 + and keep in mind that aftermarket arms, BBK, wheels, tires, etc.. are all heavier..

Zs.. arnt perfect on the auto-x as well.. compare to other auto-x rulers the Z is a fat pig that belongs on a road course.. however the Z has a nice chassie and very good wheel wells that'll allow them to run a better track set up the a G

HOWEVER, dispite everything I've said I'm only talking about stock cars with the assumption that you only have a tire and wheel upgrade.. Adjusting your alignment to its proper settings depending on conditions will change a LOT of things.. Toe out on both sides (looking down on tires) \ / will help you stabalize a car when powering out.. Negative camber will also help to / \ (front or rear view).. +caster and we have a very good road track setting.. however I'm sure this will FAIL on a drag strip or auto-x..

I can go on for days and pages about this stuff but when it comes down to it its NOT who has the better car here (G35coupe, Sedan, Zroadster, z convertable) since our cars are so similar... engine above the front axle and rear wheel drive with either no LSD or vLSD/open diff >.< lol.. its not who has a better chassie in this argument but who can tune/build a better set up..

Key things that'll win tho
LSD 1.5 (1.0 is a little much) will make a world of difference.. vLSD is great but we need a real one
WIDE TIRES.. to a point... widder isnt always better (auto-x world) and wider is heavier too..
Chassie stiffness.. we have A LOT of JUNK out there for our cars.. those who know me personally and has sat down in my house has SEEN/felt the difference between parts.. too stiff.. is a problem (usually not since we have a bunch of tin foil crap made for our cars).. Roll Cage will win.. not because we need it but because it helps soo much..

Any one right here.. sedan. coupe. z. with a 1.5LSD, Widder Tires and Wheels, with a cage will own the shiet out of the other one.. IMO

Back on topic
To the OP.. stay with the stock final drive or go longer.. dont go shorter.. (before you guys flame bash etc) this is my personal liking.. if anyone of you have actually taken your shorter geared car to the track or a canyon you'll see yourself WASTING a lot of time shifting.. while your gearing might PROVE to be more effective on a straight is actually quite a pain in the *** and waste of time on a track or canyon.. imagening averaging 40mph on a tight track or canyon.. so you hit up to 60mph.. instead of shuffling 2nd and 3rd you have to do 2nd-3rd-4th -__-

Upside to shorter gearing:
You stay in HIGHER RPM.. Higher RPM = more power.. so you get more power but a shorter band results in a better driving power band

Downside to shorter gearing:
More shifting.. more shifting = time off the gas.. less time accelerating = less speed achieved..
Efforts.. having to shuffle through that many gears is tiring and annoying after a while..
If you make more power.. shorter gearing is 100% junk.. you'll be going through your band too fast and its too undriveable at WOT (wide-open-throttle/pedal to the floor) for your low gears.. (example if you were to pedal to the floor/WOT on a rainy day in first.. no trac... now imagen if this was the same problem through 2nd as well )

Upside to TALLER gearing:
Higher top speeds
If you make more power you can PUSH through your band now.. less shifts in between 0-100mph.. results could be faster..

Downside to taller geraing:
I wouldnt suggest you go any taller unless you're making a lot more power...

But if you're just daily driving the car and looking for cheap power.. ya lower gears would probably be cooler.. track or canyon guys neh.. try it first before making your decision..

oh and 6MTs and 5ATs have different final drives..

Not starting shi1 with anyone but more for good reading and it'll help people with a less understanding about cars to keep up with you z / g bashing.. in the end it comes down to how well the driver understands suspension physics and mechanics and how he/she determines what setting to use for the condition that'll result in max effiency.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY who has more ***** and knowledge to push their car to 100%..

There are far better modded Gs then mine as far as suspension goes but can they hang?

Old 09-19-2008, 11:34 AM
twitch579 u kinda crack me up. LOL!
Mike this guy needs a reality check bahahhahahaah!

Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
twitch579 u kinda crack me up. LOL!
Mike this guy needs a reality check bahahhahahaah!
I suppose your 260hp Sedan is a monster also??

I would bet money that a stock 06 298hp 6MT sedan will beat your modded 04.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:50 PM
I just smashed a 6MT 350z today w/ my 03 auto G.

Cetral 20 3.9FD FTW!!!

Old 09-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by twitch579

lol...... I love ur logic.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 PM
BTW this is just a reminder for everyone why 350z boards have the biggest fanbois in the history of the internet forums.

We have a typical representative here posting out of his a$$.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would bet money that he wouldn't lose to a 06 6MT.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Your crazy. I knew you were full of sh_t as soon as u said 03 sedan. ROFL!!!

I had a 2003 Maxima Vq35 255hp before my Z and I could hang with 03-04 G35 Sedans. You need to get your **** correct. Actually my Maxima would wipe the floor of older sedans. Its lighter because of the FWD.

Your saying that a 03 Sedan 260Hp beat a 06 Rev-Up Z and the sedan had 3 passangers. I really need to start smoking the stuff your on. Maybe you won that race because the driver of the Z had a broken arml and couldnt shift his car...or maybe something on the floor of his car rolled under the gas pedal and he couldnt floor it.

Your really nuts. When my Z was stock I went racing crazy for the first 3 months and I could pull 3-4 cars instantly on any G coupe, not to mention top-end, its simply not a race. The Z will pull every time from any speed. I wouldnt even waste my gas racing a 03-04 G Sedan. There slower then Maximas. 03-04 G sedans and even coupes are the slowest of them all when it comes to these cars. Most of them cant even muster a 14.4 at the track stock.

To say u beat a Rev-up Z from a digg is crazy, u may have the tork advantage but hes got about 50 more Hp.
I don't think they were racing you.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 PM
I guess I was smoking the stuff u guys have back then too. In my Maxima I could beat modded WRX's from a roll.

People say that the HP in the 03-04 sedans was underated but I dont believe so.

Its not impossible for a car with the same engine only FWD which is about 200Lbs lighter to beat a 260Hp RWD car built on the same platform. I no guys that ran 13.8 in there VQ35 Maximas with limited boltons.

Ive raced several 03-04 Sedans that were heavily modded with confindent drivers on the way to meets and on cruises. They all talk the same as u guys and think there old sedans are unbeatable. They usually all come up to me after the race and ask if I have NOS.... I tell them I have the same boltons u have on your car probably. WITH the stock 3.7 FD Im talking about my Z and not my old Max.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Don't mind Ninous26... he's also posting a few laughable posts himself.

Last edited by Skaterbasist; 09-19-2008 at 09:03 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 4.08 or 3.9 gear for 06 6mt ???