Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Thinking of doing drain and fill on my transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
anyone?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do it warm (not hot), do it running while in Park and don't drive it through the gears - shift through them while stationary. Your fluid level will read too high if you drive around or skip the step.

The service manual (ref 2004) says the following:

1. Warm up engine.
2. Check for fluid leakage.
3. Loosen the level gauge bolt.
4. Before driving, fluid level can be checked at fluid temperatures of 30 to 50°C (86 to 122°F) using “COLD” range on A/T fluid level gauge as follows.
a. Park vehicle on level surface and set parking brake.
b. Start engine and move selector lever through each gear position. Leave selector lever in “P” position.
c. Check fluid level with engine idling.
d. Remove A/T fluid level gauge and wipe clean with lint-free paper.
*CAUTION: When wiping away the A/T fluid level gauge, always use lint-free paper, not a cloth one.
e. Re-insert A/T fluid level gauge into A/T fluid charging pipe as far as it will go.
* CAUTION: To check fluid level, insert the A/T fluid level gauge until the cap contacts the end of the A/T fluid charging pipe, with the A/T fluid level gauge reversed from the normal attachment conditions.
f. Remove A/T fluid level gauge and note reading. If reading is at low side of range, add fluid to the A/T fluid charging pipe.
* CAUTION: Do not overfill.
5. Drive vehicle for approximately 5 minutes in urban areas.
6. Make the fluid temperature approximately 65°C (149°F).
NOTE: Fluid level will be greatly affected by temperature as shown in figure. Therefore, be certain to perform operation while checking data with CONSULT-II.
a. Connect CONSULT-II to data link connector.
b. Select “MAIN SIGNALS” in “DATA MONITOR” mode for “A/T” with CONSULT-II.
c. Read out the value of “ATF TEMP 1”.
7. Re-check fluid level at fluid temperatures of approximately 65°C (149°F) using “HOT” range on A/T fluid level gauge.
8. Check fluid condition. If fluid is very dark or smells burned, refer to check operation of A/T. Flush cooling system after repair of A/T. If ATF contains frictional material (clutches, bands, etc.), replace radiator and flush cooler line using cleaning solvent and compressed air after repair of A/T.
9. Install the removed A/T fluid level gauge in the A/T fluid charging pipe.
10. Tighten the level gauge bolt.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
well, i filled to the top of the shaded area with it hot and idling. those instructions dont make a lot of sense to me, but thanks though

Old 01-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All,
New member here. I just purchased a new-to-me 2007 G35x.

I checked all the fluids and when I got to the transmission, I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to read the dipstick. There are two notches on the dipstick, between which, is the word "hot". However, just above the notched "hot" section is a "shaded" area, with no wording. Question is, which area do I read? In other vehicles I have owned, I would have expected the fluid to fall into the shaded area when at the proper level, but in this vehicle, I'm not so sure and Infiniti doesn't show how to read the level in the owner's manual.

Do any of you know the correct way to read the auto trans level for the 2007 G35x?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe