Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

"Clunking" Noise at take-off!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
"Clunking" Noise at take-off!

OK i have noticed i got this weird clunking that is comming from the front of my car. Sounds More like it's oming from the driver's side. But this soung ONLY occurs when in at a stop and take off, the harder i take off the louder the clunk. I just can't figure out where it's coming from. Gonna lift the car and take the wheels off and check sunday but nothing feels loose, and i didnlt find anything broken from what i've seen!

Old 11-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Driver side rear or driver side front?

Old 11-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
Prob your engine knocking

Old 11-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
Driver side rear or driver side front?
front....you goin to the BBQ tomorrow?

Old 11-15-2008, 04:06 AM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
sway bar end links and/or bushings

Old 11-15-2008, 04:13 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
^that's what I was thinking, but both sides are connected and niether are broken, could it still happen though? I donno

And it's def not the motor knocking!

Old 11-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_FTMFW
Prob your engine knocking
Engine knock is definitely not a "clunk"

OP - chances are its end links or compression rods... both very common... if you have after market sway bars and/or you are lowered, there is a high likelihood its the end links... the compression rods are a known weak link also (mine have been replaced once already under warranty)

Old 11-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
ok im gonna get new endlinks, hopfully that'll fix it.

Also OCG35-if it were the compression rods would it only make that sound at take-off only? Thats the only time i hear the noise.

Also if i take off slow, whatever it is, makes no noise!

Old 11-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
Engine knock is definitely not a "clunk"

OP - chances are its end links or compression rods... both very common... if you have after market sway bars and/or you are lowered, there is a high likelihood its the end links... the compression rods are a known weak link also (mine have been replaced once already under warranty)

i was just messing with him

Old 11-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's your compression rods you should be able to hear the sound when you drive over a speed bump. Turn off your sound system and your AC/vents, roll down your windows and drive over a speed bump a few times. If you hear the sound it might be your rods. This is what I've read, not from actual experience, so you might do a search and ask someone with first hand knowledge.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
^I can't go over speed bumps, im too low, but when i go over bumps in the road i don't hear anything, just when i take off.

If i take off WOT it clunks a few times then thats it!

I'm gonna do an oil change tomorrow so i'll look at everything then! Worse comes to worse ill just change both rods and endlinks!

Old 11-16-2008, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by G35_FTMFW
i was just messing with him
it might seem funny - but lots of us started on forums like this one and its hard for new owners to ascertain facetious/sarcastic information from reliable quality information... believe me, I've seen crazy BS info passed along that people read and have no first hand experience about... so even though it seems like common sense to the guy/girl posted the "messing with" info - 4 moths from now that post is repeated by an idiot that doesn’t know the difference (it happens all the time).

Just trying to keep things clear.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by ShanesG
ok im gonna get new endlinks, hopfully that'll fix it.

Also OCG35-if it were the compression rods would it only make that sound at take-off only? Thats the only time i hear the noise.

Also if i take off slow, whatever it is, makes no noise!
My issue was low speed - primarily while turning and particularly on incline... initially I had the entire compression rod replaced due to worn bushings (cant replace bushing only)... second time it was end links... both were covered under warranty - even though the end link issue was after installing aftermarket sway bars... Nissan admitted that pre 05 rear end links were sub-par and went with a different manufacturer that design beefier end links (rear only – front never changed 03-06).

Ironically I currently have the issue again in the front (driver side)... I suspect it’s due to stiffer suspension (recent SPL A-Arms and D-Specs)... I am looking into adjustable end links - OEM are too long for my current suspension and do not sit proper.

Previous and current “clunk” is very isolated and only heard from front driver-side during (very) low speed primarily right turn incline.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:15 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
^haha don't worry, im not a noob lol been around cars for a while, i knew that's not what it was haha But yeah there is so much BS info i see givin on here it's insane!

My first thought was "It's the endlinks" didn't even think about checking the compression rods(Never had that happen to me)
Just want to see what others thought, or if someone had the same problem before.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:17 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by OCG35
My issue was low speed - primarily while turning and particularly on incline... initially I had the entire compression rod replaced due to worn bushings (cant replace bushing only)... second time it was end links... both were covered under warranty - even though the end link issue was after installing aftermarket sway bars... Nissan admitted that pre 05 rear end links were sub-par and went with a different manufacturer that design beefier end links (rear only – front never changed 03-06).

Ironically I currently have the issue again in the front (driver side)... I suspect it’s due to stiffer suspension (recent SPL A-Arms and D-Specs)... I am looking into adjustable end links - OEM are too long for my current suspension and do not sit proper.

Previous and current “clunk” is very isolated and only heard from front driver-side during (very) low speed primarily right turn incline.
Yeah it's pretty loud when i take of on an incline, after what you just said i think thats what it is.!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Clunking" Noise at take-off!