G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetrain-364/)
-   -   Anyone ever done CV shafts on an AWD? (https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetrain/358354-anyone-ever-done-cv-shafts-awd.html)

Machine Head 11-22-2010 03:08 PM

Anyone ever done CV shafts on an AWD?

My passenger side boot has been torn for over a year and the clicking just started. Wondering if I can do this job my self or if I should go to the dealer because of the AWD system?

Mustang5L5 11-22-2010 08:20 PM

Seems easy. I was investigating how to remove the front shaft because I may need new front wheel bearings.

The rear shafts are easy to remove. There are multiple diy on that.

I can't find anything on the front shafts. Removing from hub seems easy (one nut) but can't see how to remove from front case

StratagemII 11-23-2010 11:40 AM

Would like to know as well. Passenger side is torn on mine as well no clicking noise yet but oil on crossmember.

Machine Head 11-24-2010 11:50 PM

I called the dealer to price it out... they wanted almost $1k. $750 for the shaft and 2 hours labor at $150. If I can find the shaft cheaper I will def tackle this job myself.

It looks pretty easy, remove caliper, remove cotter pin, remove nut and slide the shaft out. I have the G35 RWD manual and can't find anything on removing the front shafts. Anyone have a PDF manual for the AWD?

Gdirtyfiver 11-26-2010 07:53 PM

haha by no means is this humorous but just funny in the way that I am in the exact same situation. My g35x began having some creaking/slightly clicking noises and when my car coasted at around 35-45 mph you can hear a howl and vibration in my steering wheel. I definitely checked it out and found out that my cv boot on my front right axle shaft had been completely torn off as well and was needing a new front half shaft now as well as new bearings. They are quoting me for about $1400+ for the labor, bearings and the ridiculous pricing for the shaft.

For the sake of Machine head and I, does anyone on here know where or who has either cheaper shafts, or a place that may rebuild shafts? Apparently there are no aftermarket alternatives that usually would only cost ya around $150 max for a decent half shalf!

TurTLe* 11-26-2010 11:54 PM

normally i would say just reboot the axle but since both yours are making a noise it might be beyond a part of rebooting.

$150 for half shafts are a decent price for a COMMON car that needs it. AFAIK the G35 AWD is more of a rare car as i dont axle for FX or M35 will use the same axle. Hence why there is a lower demand for this.

rockauto has boot kits for the front.

http://www.pamsauto.com/p-464276-axl...iver-side.aspx

i found that in about 1 minute and it was my 2nd link via google...

4th link via google shows ebay listing below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...#ht_1925wt_988

Machine Head 11-27-2010 01:10 AM

Thanks for the links Turtle, I do think I am beyond a boot replacement and should move to fix the half shaft. Your link was helpful but for the left side I need the Passenger or Right side.

I found an OEM new one for as low as $530. I'm Ok with re-manufactured as most come with decent warranties. But I can't even find a reman for the right side

Machine Head 11-27-2010 01:12 AM

Here are the OEM for $530 and a blow out image of the front drivetrain.

http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/part...layCatalogid=0

Machine Head 11-27-2010 01:19 AM

Gdirtyfiver I found the front wheel bearing for $200 at parts geek and $169 on ebay. Not sure if that helps you, are you considering a DYI?

Gdirtyfiver 11-27-2010 01:42 AM

yeah most wheel bearings that I have found have been in the $150-$200 range as well. As far as the cheapest OEM best I can find as well was the $530 I found on that site too. Not much options as $150 would've been great and would be great if not every single axle was rears or left side. Both Machine and I were looking for passenger fronts.

As far as for the DIY, I'll probably buy a couple cases of beer and have a friend do it haha.

Any one else know of places that have cheaper rebuilt ones? I know some local shops rebuild axles but atleast none around where I live.

TurTLe* 11-27-2010 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Machine Head (Post 5504099)
Your link was helpful but for the left side I need the Passenger or Right side.

i didn't really look that hard honestly. i just opened another window googled "g35 AWD front axle " and those linked showed up in the top 5 results.

but in the end...

car-parts.com there are over 20+ axles i see listed on there. most seem to be listed for $150 from all over the place. maybe get a local one.

car-parts.com i've been using for years to find transmissions and engines, its just a google for all junkyard/auto recyclers around the states and i think the world. These are guys working at junkyards so they aren't your normal autozone car idiot but friendly people.

mcaron 11-27-2010 07:10 AM

Ive pulled the front axle about 6 times because i keep ripping boots from being too low....very easy once you do it once, i can get it out in about 15 mins, hardest part is is actualy popping out the axle

Gdirtyfiver 11-27-2010 04:14 PM

thanks a lot Turtle! Car-part seems the best to link to all the shops with the parts. Quick question though as far as the shaft it self, that would be the same as if I were to look up and get the "axle assy assembly"? I've noticed there's an option for axle w/ housing? that's not necessary right? Usually just needing to replace the axle shaft itself unless the car is completely collision damage etc? thanks guys

Gdirtyfiver 11-27-2010 04:16 PM

btw macaron, I hear ya on the being low part. being from the midwest, my car took a beating last winter with the snow and sand/salt treatments.

mcaron 11-27-2010 11:11 PM

yeah that why i just lifted it for the winter here :/ but if someone throws up a pic of the whoe side of the front suspension, i can tell you guys which bolts/nuts to take off to get to axle out