G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetrain-364/)
-   -   Need advice on valve body (https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetrain/411070-need-advice-valve-body.html)

MoAley 07-10-2012 07:05 PM

Need advice on valve body

I have a 2004 G35 sedan. A week or so ago I got the check engine light and the flashing AT Check light while driving to work. I took it to the dealer and got a code of P1716 and a cost estimate of $1550 for replacing the valve body.

After doing a little research, it seems like it is just the Turbine Revolution Sensor that sits up top of the valve body that is going bad. I am able to drive the car and it shifts fine for most of the time. I have noticed a slight slip in shifting 3-4 times in a 10day period of driving so I was not too keen on having the dealership fix the car right away without a 2nd opinion.

The sensors that has gone bad, I am guessing is one of the two black knobs like things close to the TCM module sitting on top of the valve body. I tried looking them up on Bosch's website with the part number but was not able to find anything and a couple of tranny shops told me they can not order one separately.

Here is a picture of what they look like (I think mine is prolly the middle one)
http://www.sonnax.com/publications/t...d-observations

Have any of you guys run into this issue and what did you end up doing? Should I run the risk of buying a refurbished valve body that comes w the TCM or is there a way to replace the sensors without buying a whole new valve body.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MoAley 07-11-2012 10:45 AM

An interesting update. After I decided to take my car back to the shop after work, the check engine light went off and didn't come back on this morning driving to work either. Will wait and see what happens next.

NicooG35X 07-11-2012 11:02 AM

answers......

Ok hi I have some answers for u .......
First off the Turbine Revolution Sensor is a fancy term for input speed sensor.
Is do what I'm gonna recommend in my order to get a straight answer to ur problem.

First is find a scan tool preferably a solus w key 20 and do a drive diagnostic on ur car. Ur trying first and foremost to see if this sensor is even giving off a reading. If not the vehicle can be in tcm safe mode to allow normal ish driving while trying to conserve itself. Ten bucks cash says u lost pick up power. I know becuz I've worked on the re5 7 times this year. Then based on ur pic is remove the.sensor and do a resistance or oem drop on it to see if It's within operating range. If so not the issue. If not saved u a valve body.

I'll try and post the numbers around 3 today and a pic of the sensor to verify its the correct one u posted. I have valve bodies here and i have two w the Hd upgrade as well. We have in house machine shop and 10,000 square feet of build shop. I also make torque converters and shafts. So I'm pretty sure I can help save u cash before dropping crazy money at a dealer.

Also check ur harness for continuity. Make sure ur harness is operating ok. Should take UI about two hrs for all that w Jack stands and hand tools. 30 min w a lift.

MoAley 07-11-2012 01:10 PM

Thanks Nicoo,

I haven't noticed the power loss, but again I haven't been driving hard either so I might have just overlooked it. When the TCM goes into fail-safe mode, are you restricted to a certain gear or speed? I have been driving 65-70 on the freeways but ill check how the car performs today on acceleration from a static point to moving.

But basically I should narrow down the problem to electrical or mechanical and go from there.

NicooG35X 07-11-2012 04:03 PM

Yes make sure ur sensor is bad before buying huge parts or doing a non wanted parts change. I've had new Ford f150' s come in w 18500 miles to the dot that their tranny locked up and it was a bad bearing race inside the planetary gears. Only way to find it tear down. U on the other hand have options so use them and check. Don't get frustrated any questions pm me and I'll walk u thru it.

Not all 5 at or Re5's require a tech two refresh either. I've done mine and my employees Infiniti g's valve body w out a new tcm rushing the existing harness and tcm module due to non failure. Now if it fails or is a failing part u can't reuse. Obviously.

Yes there is a safe mode. The reason I'm so interested in ur case is when the trans goes into safe mode it usually shuts down the shift solenoids ( whatever off off condition is) if second or third gear are shift solenoids off and off meaning no voltage applied then ur in limp mode. Safe mode in the book and on Mitchell says line pressure is raised and vdc is cut on at a higher rate ( meaning it will activate sooner or quicker than normal slips) trying to control excess output. The other thing I'm wondering is if lock up is getting stuck on. In such case the torque converter lock up will stay open causing a pressure drop and until warmed up cause ur slipping feel due to the turbine playing catch up w ur centrifugal force. As this is how all cars powered w torque converter trans make power.

I'm excited I hope I solve this one by thread and save u big bucks keep me posted. I'll get u what I can and help u w whatever u need. Thanks !! Good luck.

CLyons0203 07-11-2012 06:17 PM

I found a site that sold some of the solenoids separately. It was a website for the Nissan Titan which has a similar valve body.

Driving around on a slipping tranny will toast it quick, especially in the summer time. When those clutches get hot, burn the fluid, and brake apart. The metal shavings spread and ruin the transmission and clog the cooler attached to the radiator. When the cooler gets clogged, dealerships are instructed to replace the entire radiator.

I would buy a junk transmission and take out the sensor you need or buy it separately, get new fluid, and add a cooler.

NicooG35X 07-12-2012 10:30 AM

I agree w cly on the effects. But is make sure ur solenoids part numbers match and that they carry the same resistance load before buying or installing. Also make sure ur tcm doesn't need a tech twoscan to allow ur new solenoids to be compatible.

I've said it before and all I can do is try and help but diagnose first w a good starting point which u have then replace. Also every 5 at being hard drive.g or manually shifted in m mode should at least have a cooler. Or external cooler of some sort.

NicooG35X 07-12-2012 10:37 AM

If u give me a pic or a part number i more than likely can order and ship to u cheaper than a website. Same goes for trans lines and valve bodies. Send me urs and I'll ship u back a built one w matching tcm flash if needed so ur not down two weeks more like 48 hrs.
If that helps. I keep at least two 5 at valve bodies in stock and two w the upgrade hd kit installed already to go.

cc73build 07-18-2012 02:42 AM

Nicoog35x hey, I am having a similar problem with my 04 Nissan Titan. After jumpstarting a dead battery on my truck it immediately went into limp mode. Same codes as clylons sorry about the abbreviation and chiming in on his/her thread. I took my truck to a tranny shop after pulling codes on a snap on scanner. The tranny shop suggested I buy a used tranny because he claims the somenoids are not replaceable. I hate to disagree wit a pro but I also read posts of people replacing solenoids and not the entire tranny or valve body. My truck is stuck in limp and I only have gear 3/4. The tranny shop claims the tcm and revolution sensor are ok. So my point is, if you stock rebuilt valve bodies or more importantly he valve bodies I would like to talk about what your shop can do. I am very capable of removing the valve body but the thought of buying solenoids and replacing myself is a bit scary. I tried to send it the valve body to itp but they need working solenoids in order to do the upgrade. Can u contact me or give the name of your shop and wud you be interested in talking about re building mine. Once again its an 04 Nissan Titan. I can provide any info u may need and also the reports from the diagnostics ( from snap on diagnostics and tranny shop reports. I finally found someone who is familiar w this and can do the repairs. I hope we can do business.
Thx my name ď2038923076. Please tell me something good, is I greatly appreciate it. My email is my profile name at gmail. Hope to hear from ya.
Joe

cc73build 07-18-2012 02:47 AM

Pls contact me in regards to rebuilding a valve body on a 04 Nissan Titan or perhaps me ordering solenoids from you. Your help will be appreciated. Thx. Joe 2038923086 or cc73build@gmail.com

NicooG35X 07-18-2012 07:52 AM

Sorry I am not on that late but I did get ur message and i will be contacting u around ten am today. East coast time. For anyone else if u need me n I don't respond in twenty four hrs Please feel free to pm me. I may have thirty things going but I'm very good w time management and communication.

For ur question our shop ia in pittsburgh pa.
In the metro area. We are the hub for our five stores. We are ATRA certified and located as an ATRA warranty stop on the national data base.
We have a master builders station , a full working metal shop , we have a converter shop which we rebuild and retest any and all converters. Recon plus ile is our only completion. Anywhere. They make oem converters for the factory I.e. Ford tm etc etc.

We have an install shop w nothing but shop techs.
And a dyno area chassis and drivetrain where we test all our stuff including a solenoids bench from axiline so u can't it was installed wrong or built wrong before we give it back.

That's about it. I'm working w a forum member on getting a Pittsburgh performance day just for z/ g guys here on a Sat at the shop followed up by a thurs invite only track day for z/g guys. So if I don't answer just give me 24 hrs. Thanks.

Ednica87 08-22-2015 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by NicooG35X (Post 6509097)
Ok hi I have some answers for u .......
First off the Turbine Revolution Sensor is a fancy term for input speed sensor.
Is do what I'm gonna recommend in my order to get a straight answer to ur problem.

First is find a scan tool preferably a solus w key 20 and do a drive diagnostic on ur car. Ur trying first and foremost to see if this sensor is even giving off a reading. If not the vehicle can be in tcm safe mode to allow normal ish driving while trying to conserve itself. Ten bucks cash says u lost pick up power. I know becuz I've worked on the re5 7 times this year. Then based on ur pic is remove the.sensor and do a resistance or oem drop on it to see if It's within operating range. If so not the issue. If not saved u a valve body.

I'll try and post the numbers around 3 today and a pic of the sensor to verify its the correct one u posted. I have valve bodies here and i have two w the Hd upgrade as well. We have in house machine shop and 10,000 square feet of build shop. I also make torque converters and shafts. So I'm pretty sure I can help save u cash before dropping crazy money at a dealer.

Also check ur harness for continuity. Make sure ur harness is operating ok. Should take UI about two hrs for all that w Jack stands and hand tools. 30 min w a lift.

Hey I went to a transmission because I was also having the p1757 error code. I was quoted a whole new valve body replacement from dealer plus tcm and have to take it to infiniti to re flash transmission. We'll the quoted me 2500 for everything close to 1500 of that is just the parts they said. Looking for a cheaper alternative. Any links where I can find a oem valve body replacement for cheaper than dealer? Or a rebuild?

Jason Furtado 07-29-2018 05:36 PM

Transmission problem

well I have a p1752 and p1754 code and also comes up twice but looking like this p1752 p and p1754 p. It’s a G35x 2005 and when it first happen I thought solenoids but a have a tremendous amount of power loss hard to move from a stop. Even times in manual shifting it will go from fourth all the way to first gear at high rev. When that happened I knew this is not solenoids but torque converter or now reading the thread could be the input speed sensors. Any thoughts what this could be?
Also shifts into all gears and sometimes doing the reverse to neutral a couple times and giving some gas before putting to drive sometimes makes it run a bit better

Richard Gordon 10-11-2019 08:08 AM

can anyone sive me info on how to contact NicooG35X ? ,or anyone else where I can get my valve body rebuilt. I am getting P1716 code.

cleric670 10-11-2019 12:43 PM

Probably not unless you know the name of his shop in Pittsburgh. His account on G35DRIVER has been banned.