Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

6MT - General question involving lugging engine while launching/getting rolling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT - General question involving lugging engine while launching/getting rolling

Hi everyone, I apologize ahead of time if I have placed this post in the incorrect section.

Last year I decided to replace my first g35 with a 2 door 6MT model, and so far I love it. It took me a little while to learn the car, but after a few months I had it down. Now, about 8 months later I've got the car completely figured out, feels good to be able to drive the car smoothly. However, while I was learning to drive the car, as well as occasionally, I've been making a bit of a mistake when I let the clutch out in first gear. It tends to happen occasionally when it rains while I'm wearing particularly slick shoes.

What I'm referring to, is when I get rolling in first gear, sometimes the clutch pedal will slip up my shoe a bit faster than I wanted it to. As a result, the car begins to shake as if it's going to stall. However, most of the time, I catch it before the engine stalls, and the car just shakes for a second or so until the engine reaches an appropriate speed and begins rolling.

The main thing I'm wondering, is if this can potentially cause damage to internal engine components. What I'm referring to is not stalling the engine, but instead the vibrations that happen when the engine is close to stalling, but doesn't stall. The car seems just fine, but wanted to get the opinion of those of you who know quite a bit more than I do. And maybe this can help out others who are wondering the same thing.

Thanks,
Austin

Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The only thing you will do is foul spark plugs faster, the engine STRUGGLES to maintain proper AFR when it's being lugged hard like that and it's typically very rich AFR for a few seconds until rpms get back in the normal operating range. I suggest you just slip the clutch a little rather than lug the engine.

The following users liked this post:
thelewal (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
The only thing you will do is foul spark plugs faster, the engine STRUGGLES to maintain proper AFR when it's being lugged hard like that and it's typically very rich AFR for a few seconds until rpms get back in the normal operating range. I suggest you just slip the clutch a little rather than lug the engine.
Thank you, that makes me feel better. The main thing I was worried about was the piston having too much resistance against the expanding gases, resulting in some damage to the piston or other load bearing components. This situation usually happens to me when my clutch pedal slips across the sole of my shoe faster than I wanted it to, so the engine revolutions drop faster than I can compensate with the throttle. Otherwise, not something I usually do. Probably doesn't help that I usually try to get rolling around 1000rpm.

Thanks,
Austin