G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetrain-364/)
-   -   Does the Z1 Mid weight flywheel chatter a lot? (https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetrain/462937-does-z1-mid-weight-flywheel-chatter-lot.html)

philbegas 03-13-2018 03:52 PM

Does the Z1 Mid weight flywheel chatter a lot?

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...bo-p-2405.html

The mid weight is 21 pounds, which is (I believe) about 10 pounds less than the OEM dual mass flywheel. I was thinking about getting something from this set up, which would generate the least chatter?

cleric670 03-13-2018 04:07 PM

It will generate LESS chatter but the simple act of moving to a SINGLE mass flywheel is what generates chatter, the lighter the flywheel the greater the chatter.

The Z1 lightweight is pretty loud as far as lightweight flywheels go, what's your plans for the car?

philbegas 03-13-2018 04:09 PM

Nothing huge. Car has 78k miles, pretty much stock except a solid rear diff bushing. Might do a few bolt ons (headers, exhaust, intake, maybe even cams), but probably no FI. I was thinking it might be nice to have something that revs a little faster and can handle slightly more power than OEM?

Although, I have read that going to single mass can actually make you trade some low end grunt for high end grunt? Effectively switching some TQ to HP? I'm not an expert, I do apologize if I'm wrong about this.

MooseLucifer 03-13-2018 04:29 PM

I don't think it would cause any power/torque changes, but I have no evidence to back that up. If you're worried about chatter you could free up that weight with an aluminum driveshaft instead.

cleric670 03-13-2018 04:29 PM

No the power output remains the same for the engine, what you're talking about is the loss of inertia. If you have an OEM dual mass right now you can almost literally give the vehicle no gas and just release the clutch a bit slower and the spinning inertia will "pull" the vehicle forward. With a lightweight flywheel if you try that you're just going to stall the motor because it is missing all that extra inertia, you definitely need to give the engine gas and re-learn how to feather the clutch on launch. The tradeoff is you will easily spin your tires all through first gear and it revs INCREDIBLY fast, mild bolt-ons and you'll be breaking loose in 2nd gear easily as well.

If you do a lot of stoplight driving in the city it gets to be a pain in the *** after a while and there will probably come a day when you're sick of the chatter and lack of inertia but if you do ever go back to the dual mass flywheel it will feel like the motor has 50 lbs more rotating mass because it's so sluggish to rev :)

The midweight flywheels are sort of a middle ground, they still have SOME extra inertial mass but are lighter than stock, they'll still be noisy AF though because they don't have a floating section of metal to absorb all the noise and VIBRATION coming out of the drivetrain. The Nismo, Z1 midweight, Exedy are all good contenders in the midweight category and I would definitely say they are a little more "driveable" than the 13-14 lb lightweights.

All depends on your tolerance to noise and how much of the "luxury" you are willing to sacrifice for the "performance".

philbegas 03-13-2018 04:33 PM

In reverse you don't even need to give it gas hahaha. ****, if it's wet on the ground the *** will break loose even in 2nd gear at like 4k, I love having this power, I don't think I could ever drive a slower car than this.

Thanks for the advice btw - With the kit that I posted, could I solve some of the chatter problem with any of those friction plates or nah?

It's too bad you can't get something like, a lightweight DMF so that you could rev a little faster without worrying about noise.

Honestly, it seems like I should try to find a local G driver with a lighter flywheel to see how I feel.

cleric670 03-13-2018 04:46 PM

You will probably want a full faced clutch with the spring hub and an OEM spec pressure plate. The flywheel is completely user choice though, if I did it again (I have the exact kit with the lightweight flywheel) I would be seriously torn about adding 5 more lbs to the flywheel... I track my car maybe 4 times a year, one night at the drag strip, one night at the road course and I do a couple parking lot races around cones (basically just slalom/sprint). If you have NO INTENTION of ever doing that kind of thing then just go with the Exedy.

philbegas 03-14-2018 10:22 AM

I would like to begin tracking my car occasionally (actual track days at New Jersey Motorsports Park) not parking lot autocross.

I guess my overall question is:
Does the amount of chatter correspond with how light the flywheel is? Or will mid weights and light weights all chatter the same amount?

cleric670 03-14-2018 08:12 PM

It will still chatter yes it's just a tiny bit quieter with the heavier flywheel, they make the heavier flywheels for folks who want a bit more inertia for the driveability on initial launch not really because it's quieter.