Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

A Question About Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Question About Clutch Replacement

Hi guys, I just bought a 2003 g35 6mt coupe from Toronto 3 months ago. About a month ago, my clutch pedal could not come back up after press it. So I took it to a garage and they said the clutch and some other connection parts need to be replaced. They said the total price of all parts is 1920CAD and 1200CAD for the clutch set only. I checked some online sources like Amazon and Z1 Motorsports and none of their clutch sets are that expensive.

So I am wondering could someone tell me is there any reason for the price or is it just I was fooled?

Also I have already paid for the parts and after 2 weeks they haven't got them yet. Do you guys know normally where do they ship from? Is there a huge cost of shipping?

I have attached a rough detail of parts need to be repaired.

It troubles me a lot.

Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails A Question About Clutch Replacement-20180427_171754789_ios.jpg  
Old 05-19-2018, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by JeffZZZ
Hi guys, I just bought a 2003 g35 6mt coupe from Toronto 3 months ago. About a month ago, my clutch pedal could not come back up after press it. So I took it to a garage and they said the clutch and some other connection parts need to be replaced. They said the total price of all parts is 1920CAD and 1200CAD for the clutch set only. I checked some online sources like Amazon and Z1 Motorsports and none of their clutch sets are that expensive.

So I am wondering could someone tell me is there any reason for the price or is it just I was fooled?

Also I have already paid for the parts and after 2 weeks they haven't got them yet. Do you guys know normally where do they ship from? Is there a huge cost of shipping?

I have attached a rough detail of parts need to be repaired.

It troubles me a lot.

Thanks!!
I hope you paid by credit card so just cancel the order and request a charge back on your credit card.

I had the exact same problem with my 2006 G35 6 speed. I was driving 2000 miles a month and took the Elite Infiniti warranty. The Clutch Slave Cylinder was replaced by the dealer under the warranty and I had no further clutch problems and traded the vehicle in at 171796 miles still with the original clutch.

I'm not sure why you didn't at least get an estimate from an Infiniti dealer but my advice is to do so. There are too many incompetent so called mechanics unfamiliar with an Infiniti.
You've got a fifteen year old vehicle soon to be sixteen years old so you need to be prepared to spend some money on replacement parts.

You may end up spending more than your vehicle is worth on repairs.

Good luck

Telcoman

The following users liked this post:
JeffZZZ (05-20-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 09:26 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Jeff, there's your answer ^ clutch slave cylinder! There's a part inside that works like a plunger that will eventually fail allowing fluid to pass making your pedal to fall to the floor. (which you can pull back a few times before it totally fails) Cancel that order, find a new shop that knows what they're doing...Gary

JeffZZZ (05-20-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 11:41 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Clutch kits are expensive if you're buying a good one. Moreso if they went with the LUK DMFW OEM replacement.

JeffZZZ (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by telcoman
I hope you paid by credit card so just cancel the order and request a charge back on your credit card.

I had the exact same problem with my 2006 G35 6 speed. I was driving 2000 miles a month and took the Elite Infiniti warranty. The Clutch Slave Cylinder was replaced by the dealer under the warranty and I had no further clutch problems and traded the vehicle in at 171796 miles still with the original clutch.

I'm not sure why you didn't at least get an estimate from an Infiniti dealer but my advice is to do so. There are too many incompetent so called mechanics unfamiliar with an Infiniti.
You've got a fifteen year old vehicle soon to be sixteen years old so you need to be prepared to spend some money on replacement parts.

You may end up spending more than your vehicle is worth on repairs.

Good luck

Telcoman
Hi Telcoman,

Thank you for replying.

Unfortunately I paid by Email Transfer because the boss is (or may was now) my friend. And I think after this I will never go to this shop again.

I am wondering can I get the warrenty from any dealership? How much is the warrenty?

Also I may modify her once I earn enough money. Do you still think it's necessary to get a warrenty?

Old 05-20-2018, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Clutch kits are expensive if you're buying a good one. Moreso if they went with the LUK DMFW OEM replacement.
Thank you. What is LUK DMFW OEM?

Old 05-20-2018, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Jeff, there's your answer ^ clutch slave cylinder! There's a part inside that works like a plunger that will eventually fail allowing fluid to pass making your pedal to fall to the floor. (which you can pull back a few times before it totally fails) Cancel that order, find a new shop that knows what they're doing...Gary
Thanks Gary.

I think maybe you have plenty experience with mods on G? Any suggestions if I want a better feeling in corners?

Old 05-20-2018, 01:18 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Originally Posted by JeffZZZ
Thank you. What is LUK DMFW OEM?
LUK is a manufacturer that makes an OEM (original equipment manfacturer) DMFW (dual mass flywheel). The DMFW is much quieter and has a smoother engagement and is generally more forgiving for sloppy drivers but at the expense of performance because it's a VERY heavy flywheel. They are expensive which is a big contributing factor for why people usually go with a single mass flywheel, the other factor being the weight and there are some really good lightweight options out there for about half the cost of the LUK.

JeffZZZ (05-20-2018)